Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2010
397 posts
90 upvotes
Montreal

ASUS RT-AC3100 **$200.19**

Usually goes for 330$. Currently on sale for 20$ more than the Asus RT86U (at Best Buy 180$).

This one retails for 50$ more than the 86U.
10 replies
Dec 15, 2018
24 posts
2 upvotes
I just got the 86u should I return for this? Or should I get a home mesh system
[OP]
Nov 15, 2010
397 posts
90 upvotes
Montreal
SanjeevK14807 wrote: I just got the 86u should I return for this? Or should I get a home mesh system
I ordered the 86u yesterday. Should have that by next week. I purchased the ac3100 in store at staples. Will test it over the next few days then compare. Check out smallnetbuilders for some reviews.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3469 posts
2102 upvotes
Vancouver
SanjeevK14807 wrote: I just got the 86u should I return for this? Or should I get a home mesh system
AC86u is actually the better router. It’s newer with updated parts (most importantedly better cpu). As far as mesh or not, that depends on how big of an area you need to cover. Also remember with both this router and ac86 (as well as a lot of other ASUS routers) you can use AiMesh
Dec 15, 2018
24 posts
2 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
AC86u is actually the better router. It’s newer with updated parts (most importantedly better cpu). As far as mesh or not, that depends on how big of an area you need to cover. Also remember with both this router and ac86 (as well as a lot of other ASUS routers) you can use AiMesh
Okay that’s amazing I’ll just keep the ac86u and I live in a 3 floor home but this white Rogers router sucks and keeps bugging out so I’m getting a new one and bridging it to this ac86.
My buddy just told me about the google mesh for 300 idk much about it though I was thinking put two of them on my upper floor but I’ll just go with this asus router I got for 180
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5365 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
I just got the ac86u and its awesome so far.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5365 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
SanjeevK14807 wrote: Okay that’s amazing I’ll just keep the ac86u and I live in a 3 floor home but this white Rogers router sucks and keeps bugging out so I’m getting a new one and bridging it to this ac86.
My buddy just told me about the google mesh for 300 idk much about it though I was thinking put two of them on my upper floor but I’ll just go with this asus router I got for 180
Just get a AP alongside your router. Don't buy a new router. Run ethernet to the AP. I've heard good things about tp-link and ubiquiti. I was plannign to do that if my 86 didn't cover the place.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3469 posts
2102 upvotes
Vancouver
SanjeevK14807 wrote: Okay that’s amazing I’ll just keep the ac86u and I live in a 3 floor home but this white Rogers router sucks and keeps bugging out so I’m getting a new one and bridging it to this ac86.
It really is trail and error because not all walls are created equal. Nor is all area the same.. some places have a lot more wireless networks going on and that will weaken your signals/change the environment.

What i can say is you can always try and see. If a single AP works, its generally going to be the faster/better solution because well its faster lol. Of course overall coverage, multiple routers (mesh) generally will cast a much wider net. Of course AiMash is basically also a mash network. You can basically buy additional Asus routers and create a mash network that way or recycle older Asus routers (since Asus offered the update to a lot of older routers too). Do note however, last i checked, google mesh was still slightly better than AiMash even if you paired up multi-AC86u routers so if you need a bigger coverage net, go with google home or another mesh combo.
Dec 15, 2018
24 posts
2 upvotes
Paigne wrote: It really is trail and error because not all walls are created equal. Nor is all area the same.. some places have a lot more wireless networks going on and that will weaken your signals/change the environment.

What i can say is you can always try and see. If a single AP works, its generally going to be the faster/better solution because well its faster lol. Of course overall coverage, multiple routers (mesh) generally will cast a much wider net. Of course AiMash is basically also a mash network. You can basically buy additional Asus routers and create a mash network that way or recycle older Asus routers (since Asus offered the update to a lot of older routers too). Do note however, last i checked, google mesh was still slightly better than AiMash even if you paired up multi-AC86u routers so if you need a bigger coverage net, go with google home or another mesh combo.
Just so I understand this

So an ap would be better and cheaper. But how does that work exactly I hook it up to my Rogers modem Ethernet port and let it sit on my main floor. What’s a good brand and model you guys think I should try?

Whereas this ac 86u is overkill or just not as effective as having a access point... I might return

Now the google home mesh for 300 is just the best option even better than a tri band router and it probably will give me the best connection and speeds throughout my home.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5365 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
SanjeevK14807 wrote: Just so I understand this

So an ap would be better and cheaper. But how does that work exactly I hook it up to my Rogers modem Ethernet port and let it sit on my main floor. What’s a good brand and model you guys think I should try?

Whereas this ac 86u is overkill or just not as effective as having a access point... I might return

Now the google home mesh for 300 is just the best option even better than a tri band router and it probably will give me the best connection and speeds throughout my home.
I think I misread your post. I thought you said you had a ac86u already and was going to get a second ac86u. I would still have one router (I don't know if roger modem routers are any good), less features I believe (I just bridge mine right away). So have your ac86u and then buy an AP in addition to it if the signal isn't strong enough. Mesh I don't know much about. I would get an ap with poe.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6254 posts
1957 upvotes
Caledon
killoverme wrote: I just got the ac86u and its awesome so far.
Same here !!! Since 2016 and one of the best routers i have ever had !!!