Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] ASUS RT-AC3100 WIFI router $220 ($100 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 10:06 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2008
336 posts
385 upvotes
Mississauga

[Staples] ASUS RT-AC3100 WIFI router $220 ($100 off)

Hello everyone, this is a warm deal for this router. Its probably not hot anymore because wifi 6 router is slowly rolling out. I've been using it for 2 years now with no hiccups. Don't forget to use your rebate sites. It's also discounted at bestbuy/canada computers/ everywhere else. It's unfortunate that the processor in this router is weaker than the processor in the RT-86U. I'm considering about getting it for AI-MESH with my current RT-AC3100. Alternatively do you guys recommend waiting for RT-86U to go on sale and get that for AI-MESH.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5476 posts
2296 upvotes
RadioDude wrote: Hello everyone, this is a warm deal for this router. Its probably not hot anymore because wifi 6 router is slowly rolling out. I've been using it for 2 years now with no hiccups. Don't forget to use your rebate sites. It's also discounted at bestbuy/canada computers/ everywhere else. It's unfortunate that the processor in this router is weaker than the processor in the RT-86U. I'm considering about getting it for AI-MESH with my current RT-AC3100. Alternatively do you guys recommend waiting for RT-86U to go on sale and get that for AI-MESH.
This is NOT hot or even warm by means!
Get AC86U for sure or wait for refurb in the $120 range
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14712 posts
3551 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: This is NOT hot or even warm by means!
refurb at which store?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Dec 29, 2008
336 posts
385 upvotes
Mississauga
lifeisfuneh wrote: This is NOT hot or even warm by means!
Thanks for the tip, guess I'll have to wait for AC-86U to go on sale to get Ai Mesh for my home.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2008
336 posts
385 upvotes
Mississauga
LezOLee wrote: There's also the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 for $210 which is essentially the RT-AC86U with DFS, 160 Mhz, wall mounting, and LED lighting, but without Merlin support. For a simpler user, it may be worth it over the RT-AC86U.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2952578 ... ing-router
Unfortunately the ROG GT-AC2900 doesn't support Asus Merlin. Also The regular 86u was $200 last week (and even cheaper during boxing day) making me very reluctant to get this gamer edition.
Jun 23, 2019
359 posts
195 upvotes
RadioDude wrote: Thanks for the tip, guess I'll have to wait for AC-86U to go on sale to get Ai Mesh for my home.
86U was $199 at Bestbuy
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2593 posts
2171 upvotes
Montreal, QC
At this price, I'd probably get the AX58U instead which at least supports WiFi 6.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2963866 ... pce-ax58bt

For now, I'd stick with stock firmware, but Merlin already has some betas for this newer model. 3 betas released in the last 2 weeks, which means it is quick actively being addressed.

For the consumer, the asus routers in my opinion provide the best bang for the buck. They are not cheap, but I've had a few and still recommend them, since they are the most stable routers out there. And typically supported for a lot longer than any other competitor (Dlink, NEtgear, Linksys, etc..which typically no longer release firmware for models over 2 yrs old at most).

Edit: removed bestbuy link, since they seem to have removed it from their web site all of a sudden
Last edited by Emporium on Apr 3rd, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2387 posts
1956 upvotes
Markham
This is a strange deal because I think this is the first time I’ve seen a deal posted where the OP basically doesn’t have anything positive to say in the opening post. Sure, I’ve seen deals slammed or OP’s change their tune also but a negative opening post?

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
[OP]
Dec 29, 2008
336 posts
385 upvotes
Mississauga
HDawg wrote: This is a strange deal because I think this is the first time I’ve seen a deal posted where the OP basically doesn’t have anything positive to say in the opening post. Sure, I’ve seen deals slammed or OP’s change their tune also but a negative opening post?
Well like I said, I've owned this router for 2-3 years and its been solid. I'm just conflicted if I should get it right now at this price or get the 86u to set up ai-mesh at my home. I guess what I'm trying to say that it's a warm deal for a niche market who's shopping for a solid wifi 5 router or need a router this instant like me
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2593 posts
2171 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RadioDude wrote: Well like I said, I've owned this router for 2-3 years and its been solid. I'm just conflicted if I should get it right now at this price or get the 86u to set up ai-mesh at my home. I guess what I'm trying to say that it's a warm deal for a niche market who's shopping for a solid wifi 5 router or need a router this instant like me
But even if you need a router this instant, personally I think you are better off still getting the AX58U .
Look like bestbuy no longer has it on their web site (was the best price), so I have included the staples link above. And you can surely use some coupon to bring it lower.

If you are stuck on using a mesh system, go for it.

Personally I have an AC3200 and it was perfectly stable but wifi range on all commercial routers I found limiting. I tried using extenders and it was still not as seamless as I'd hope for.
I just gave up on these commercial router wifi for my home. Initially I had just disabled the wifi on the AC3200 (used it just as a router with no wifi - it is a great router), and hardwired a Cisco Access point to it (picked up a cisco 2702i for $100 on ebay). The cisco access point is so much better, that I also set up a guest network for my tenant (who lives above me) and he loves it. And for now, the access point is in the basement, and tenant is on the floor above me (ie: going through 2 floors). I have since retired the ac3200, and switched to a ubiquiti edgerouter lite. Next step is to run a wire through the walls, and install the Cisco access point on the ceiling of the main floor, and power it using PoE. I will never go back to a commercial router.

In a smaller home, the AX58u would probably be pretty damn good (and as a router it will probably rock). But for larger multi-level homes, get some Cisco access points, or some Ubiquity access points. Will cost you less than 2 of these routers, and you will be amazed at the coverage.

Anyhow, just my $0.02 worth.
Oct 15, 2013
796 posts
1270 upvotes
Has anyone seen deals on any AX6000 or AX11000 recently? Any brand.

Almost got the $199 asus 86u from bestbuy but I’m looking for future proofing with ax and decent coverage of ~1500 sq.ft.
These new wifi 6’s aren’t cheap.
Apr 23, 2015
159 posts
112 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Emporium wrote: At this price, I'd probably get the AX58U instead which at least supports WiFi 6.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2963866 ... pce-ax58bt

For now, I'd stick with stock firmware, but Merlin already has some betas for this newer model. 3 betas released in the last 2 weeks, which means it is quick actively being addressed.

For the consumer, the asus routers in my opinion provide the best bang for the buck. They are not cheap, but I've had a few and still recommend them, since they are the most stable routers out there. And typically supported for a lot longer than any other competitor (Dlink, NEtgear, Linksys, etc..which typically no longer release firmware for models over 2 yrs old at most).

Edit: removed bestbuy link, since they seem to have removed it from their web site all of a sudden
Thanks for this recomendation. Just upgrade from an ac68u to the ax58u and it's blazing fast. Getting up to 500mbps on wifi, on a 600mbps connection. It drops sometimes but the ac68u was only getting around 100-150mbps, while the ax58 goes between 250-500. Amazing upgrade.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1201 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
Are you have to have separate SSIDs for the 2.5ghz and 5ghz on these asus routers?
Apr 23, 2015
159 posts
112 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Boomer23 wrote: Are you have to have separate SSIDs for the 2.5ghz and 5ghz on these asus routers?
Yes, but at least on the ax58u there is a smart connect mode which sets it as a single connection and the router decides which one the device gets. My older 68u didn't have the option. I think you can also set the same name for both bands, but not sure what the connection logic is then as I never tried it.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1151 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
Can I expect any range improvements by getting a new router made in 2019/2020 like the ones recommended here? I am currently using a 5+ year old Unifi UAP PRO that doesn't quite reach one room in my house that I want to turn into a home office.
Feb 6, 2017
182 posts
299 upvotes
Be aware of privacy issues and that the AI components will send tracking info of sites you go to if enabled.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1201 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
flowerdealer wrote: Yes, but at least on the ax58u there is a smart connect mode which sets it as a single connection and the router decides which one the device gets. My older 68u didn't have the option. I think you can also set the same name for both bands, but not sure what the connection logic is then as I never tried it.
Thank you very much!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6379 posts
5007 upvotes
Boomer23 wrote: Are you have to have separate SSIDs for the 2.5ghz and 5ghz on these asus routers?
1 SSID based on my new AX58U. But signal strength is actually weaker than my old Nighthawk R7000.

But some of my older device is having problem with AX58U. So I left my R7000 running as an AP.

BTW, I paid less for AX58U than this router and at least it's wifi 6 compatible which is what my phone and laptop is on right now.

My R7000 was going strong but my the new laptop's inter wifi chip seems to kill it at 5Ghz.