Expired Hot Deals

Staples

ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router $199.99 ($50 off)

[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
440 posts
562 upvotes
Paris

[Staples] ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router $199.99 ($50 off)

ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router with MU-MIMO and Parental Control
If you are reading this then you know all about this device. I know (was told) it was cheaper on Amazon last month, but I missed that sale.
I was able to "bring" the price lower with a Staples Coupon :-)
Some Staples have stock - curbside pickup.
Sold out at Bestbuy.
Amazon selling for $235
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 12th, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added retailer to title
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' list of the best routers!
61 replies
Mar 1, 2012
87 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
My RT-AC86U died after 2 and half years.
Jul 15, 2003
746 posts
841 upvotes
I'll get a lot of flaks for saying it but I don't think investing in a non-wifi 6 router is a good idea. I had a Netgear R8000 (AC3200) and always had coverage and weird connection issues, especially as we added more devices as time went on. Bought an Orbi mesh wifi 6, 2 unit ones (granted very expensive), and it's unbelievably fast and issue free throughout the house. You don't have to spend a lot like I did, just getting good wifi 6 router should be better in the long run. The tech allows more device connection and kinda made for IOT (internet if things) stuff.
Last edited by barcathegreat on May 12th, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9961 posts
4686 upvotes
Toronto
honestly still one of the best routers for the price $200. the 5ghz throughputs' 2000+ mbps, can't beat that wireless AC speeds, best latency for cloud gaming too.

any staples coupons?
giantnaga wrote: My RT-AC86U died after 2 and half years.
what happened?
Mar 1, 2012
87 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
One day I smell burning of plastic and the router will not turn on. Now using tp link ac4000 and found my brother printer can stay connected ( the printer lost connection intermittently when using ac86).
I miss the download master of Asus though.
ManCaveGamer wrote: honestly still one of the best routers for the price $200. the 5ghz throughputs' 2000+ mbps, can't beat that wireless AC speeds, best latency for cloud gaming too.

any staples coupons?

what happened?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3753 posts
785 upvotes
Have this. Thrilled with it compared to my old Archer C7 and D-link 878. But that could be bc I stepped up from entry level into something better performing.

The parental controls are garbage. They are limited to:
1) predefined categories that asus determines, and
2) on/block for all internet
Both can be done per mac address. I flashed to merlin but the mac address blocking doesn't seem to be working.

My DIR 878 could block certain websites (i.e. youtube/roblox) based on a set schedule (i.e. school hours) but the asus cannot.

So set your expectations on parental control accordingly.

I also went down the rabbit hole and spent an unreasonable amount of money on 60mm (or 80mm) fans to help with the cooling. The CPU temp dropped from 90 celsius down to like 60-70 celsius.

Also - I don't love that this is a vertical router but that depends on your preference. If it laid flat, maybe i could have put it on a laptop cooler to deal with the cooling
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
440 posts
562 upvotes
Paris
barcathegreat wrote: I'll get a lot of flaks for saying it but I don't think investing in a non-wifi 6 router is a good idea. I had a Netgear R8000 (AC3200) and always had coverage and weird connection issues, especially as we added more devices as time went on. Bought an Orbi mesh wifi 6, 2 unit ones (granted very expensive), and it's unbelievably fast and issue free throughout the house. You don't have to spend a lot like I did, just getting good wifi 6 router should be better in the long run. The tech allows more device connection and kinda made for IOT (internet if things) stuff.
Curious on what you currently have to need 6? I needed something for now. In time wifi6 routers will be cheaper. Netgear R8000 had known issues.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4511 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
are the 2018 builds the ones with the failing 2.4Ghz antennas?
Jul 29, 2008
172 posts
112 upvotes
Most ones with 2.4GHz problems I heard about are 2018 builds. But obviously a lot of people with 2018 AC86U are totally fine.
Jul 15, 2003
746 posts
841 upvotes
IslandTourGuide wrote: Curious on what you currently have to need 6? I needed something for now. In time wifi6 routers will be cheaper. Netgear R8000 had known issues.
Bunch of wifi cameras, bunch of Chromecasts, iptv boxes.... All these are wifi 5 but due to extra coverage provided by the the satelite unit, I have no buffering or connection issues. And all the phones are connected wifi 6 which provides amazing speed anywhere in the house
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3508 posts
1569 upvotes
Vancouver
I have two of these in aimesh configuration, but I can't figure it out -- I just replaced the modem with a Gig-speed modem and went from 300mb service to 1gb. Turned off the router to reset and I've been getting wildly different speeds, from 600mb down to 20mb. It was really struggling the last few days. I'd get differing speeds from two different machines (both ax chips and both historically capable of very fast speeds) at the same spot and time, with one showing 600mb and the other showing 20mb.

Am I missing something in the settings?!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15366 posts
3845 upvotes
barcathegreat wrote: Bunch of wifi cameras, bunch of Chromecasts, iptv boxes.... All these are wifi 5 but due to extra coverage provided by the the satelite unit, I have no buffering or connection issues. And all the phones are connected wifi 6 which provides amazing speed anywhere in the house
I have been using AC86U for 2 years..never have buffering on my tvboxes or any devices
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3537 posts
660 upvotes
Hamilton
I've had this router for at least 2 years now. 2 cameras, 20 tp-link devices, 3 echoes, 3 phones, 2 laptops, 2 gaming consoles and 1 printer. I also have 1 8TB harddrive connected for network storage.

Never experienced issues or dropped connections.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
440 posts
562 upvotes
Paris
Not that it matters or is important, but why do people downvote when others post "deals"?
Maybe RFD should make those downvote give a reason and/or identify them.
Mar 24, 2011
46 posts
6 upvotes
If you click the little "?" box beside the score it will give you the reason for the downvote.

Got this after I gave my AC66U to my parents 1 year ago. 2Ghz Coverage is amazing & the 5Ghz speeds are super fast when within a good range. No regrets.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
440 posts
562 upvotes
Paris
Evo_Ken wrote: If you click the little "?" box beside the score it will give you the reason for the downvote.
Thank you.
Seems one was for "bad product/service" and another for "not a good price"
Wow.