Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

ASUS RT-AC86U router $199.99 - cheaper elsewhere

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2020 6:12 pm
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes

[Staples] ASUS RT-AC86U router $199.99 - cheaper elsewhere

Was waiting for this router to go on sale.

$179.99 at Best Buy

Best Buy

$179.99 at the Source:

The Source

$179.99 at Canada Computers (Canada Computers return policy is final sale right now for non-defective items):

Canada Computers
Last edited by Citizen Bmac on May 8th, 2020 11:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
337 replies
May 8, 2018
43 posts
359 upvotes
I want this router so bad after my WRT broke.
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
Maybe it was a one-time use coupon. It worked for me but I've edited the OP.
Oct 4, 2019
187 posts
448 upvotes
This has dipped a few times to $179.99 in the last 2 years. Then theres the regular coupon codes which drive it further down.
Feb 21, 2011
158 posts
236 upvotes
Canada
Is there a good coupon code to use for this router? I have only seen a $10 off $100 purchase which is sent after subscribing to the Staples newsletter.
Oct 1, 2005
627 posts
487 upvotes
Kitchener
dm218 wrote: Any input on how this router compares to the Dlink AC3000 Tri-Band?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... 0/13579207
It is significantly better than that one. I would avoid d-link for the most part.

IMO the RT-AC86U is without a doubt the best mid-range AC router out there. The stock firmware is good, and putting the merlin firmware on is even better. $199 is a standard sale price on this one, usually you need coupons to go any lower. The CPU is second only to the quad core on the $400 AX-88u. It's powerful enough to push 200-250Mbps through OpenVPN. I used to have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, which is still quite a beast, but I could not get my VPN speeds above 35Mbps on that thing. The wifi range is also better than the R7000 (at least in my place), which was already known to have good range.
Jan 20, 2011
164 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
dm218 wrote: Any input on how this router compares to the Dlink AC3000 Tri-Band?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... 0/13579207
ASUS isn't perfect but three big pros are AiMesh, AiProtection and firmware updates - they are pretty good about frequently fixing security issues. Not Windows frequent, but still way more frequent than most/all other router manufacturers. For only an extra $30 I would go for the AC86 no question.

To directly compare DIR-3040 and RT-AC86U firmware update frequency - the last update the DIR-3040 got was in July 2019. Just between now and then, the AC86U has had an additional five updates.
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Make sure to keep an eye out for 2.4Ghz drops, as it was a known issue.
I passed the Staples return window, but had it exchanged via factory warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2528 posts
1241 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
One thing to be aware of is it seems almost everyone runs into the problem where the 2.4 GHz frequencies start dropping. It got so bad with mine I submitted for a return, but I never received the necessary information needed.

However, it seems after updating the the absolutely newest version of the firmware and doing a factory reset, everything worked normally again. So I have not bothered to try and get someone from Asus on the phone to complete the return.
Jan 21, 2017
569 posts
427 upvotes
Be very careful with Staples these days. I'm still trying to return a router I bought in April. It was a curbside pick up but after 4 chats with them, they only offer a pick up return. Unfortunately, no driver ever showed up on both dates it was set for. I still have the router ready for pick up but need to contact them for a 5th time to make other arrangements. They won't allow me to do a curbside return.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
drock007 wrote: Anyone have experience using this router ? Reviews seem pretty solid to me.

Tech Radar rates it 5/5 and PCMag 4/5

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-rt-ac86u

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/asus-rt-a ... 900-router
Yes, I own this router and I bought one for my parent's home as well.

It's been great, no issues whatsoever and excellent reception. Frequent firmware updates too.

Would definitely recommend at $199.99 (even better if you can find a Staples coupon to bring the price down further)
Jan 21, 2013
712 posts
822 upvotes
Lukus2017 wrote: Be very careful with Staples these days. I'm still trying to return a router I bought in April. It was a curbside pick up but after 4 chats with them, they only offer a pick up return. Unfortunately, no driver ever showed up on both dates it was set for. I still have the router ready for pick up but need to contact them for a 5th time to make other arrangements. They won't allow me to do a curbside return.
They also physically lost one of my shipped-to-store orders, apparently delivery drivers are just tossing over packages to Staples employees in the docking bay (I called the store and talked to an employee). This was very inconvenient because the package was marked as delivered between the delivery company + Staples, but I never received a pick-up email (obviously). Managed to get a refund but won't be ordering again any time soon.
Last edited by genericasianguy on May 6th, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
I would also recommend this router as I have had it for about a year now.

My internet reception was shotty on 5ghz on the second floor. Once I switched to this router, I've been getting full bars on 5ghz network.
Oct 4, 2019
187 posts
448 upvotes
drock007 wrote: Anyone have experience using this router ? Reviews seem pretty solid to me.

Tech Radar rates it 5/5 and PCMag 4/5

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-rt-ac86u

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/asus-rt-a ... 900-router
I've owned the AC86U for two years, and I've paired it in mesh mode with the AC68U (owned for 6+ years). I've used official firmware on both for the two years I've had it in mesh mode, but I've had some drops in wifi connection, throughout the day for about a year (regular updates on firmware done). Before I got the AC86U, on the 68U I had Merlin firmware and no issues. Two days ago I saw that Merlin coded in Mesh support for these routers so I flashed both routers to Merlin's firmware. Will see if I have any more WiFi drops..
Jul 19, 2011
100 posts
300 upvotes
CALGARY
Debating returning the ASUS AC3100 and getting this instead for $20 cheaper and a slightly updated internals...
Aug 12, 2018
212 posts
198 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Make sure to keep an eye out for 2.4Ghz drops, as it was a known issue.
I passed the Staples return window, but had it exchanged via factory warranty.
I had this issue and I installed merlin and everything is rock solid for months.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)