Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] ASUS RT-AX58U $189.99 (after $10 coupon and on sale price )

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 3:01 pm
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
136 posts
70 upvotes

[Staples] ASUS RT-AX58U $189.99 (after $10 coupon and on sale price )

Today I walked around in Staples store and spotted they have the ASUS RT-AX58U on sale for $199.99 down from $259.99, the sale ends on Nov 3rd.
I am on the market for a new router to replace a 8 year old one, this one has very good review.

So I bought one online , the final price is $214.69 after the $10 off $50 coupon with code: 75358 and using 2% rebate on Rakuten.ca.
Please note the coupon is good till Oct 31.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 28th, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
82 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4130 posts
1487 upvotes
GTA
Its a pretty good router if you enable wifi6, went head to head with my ac86u in range and speeds.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14302 posts
3472 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Debating whether to pick this up or the AC66U. Don't have any AX devices right now but I plan to use it for 10 years. I'm still rocking the N66U!

Also Staples is spelled wrong lmao
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6998 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote: Debating whether to pick this up or the AC66U. Don't have any AX devices right now but I plan to use it for 10 years. I'm still rocking the N66U!

Also Staples is spelled wrong lmao
Are you sure the capacitors inside the router can last 10 years?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7553 posts
2723 upvotes
Great router! I'm getting 1gbps over wifi. I got it for $175 at Staples a year ago.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11220 posts
7967 upvotes
Oil Country
Heading out to the nearest Stalpes tomorrow!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2274 posts
1769 upvotes
Montreal, QC
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Are you sure the capacitors inside the router can last 10 years?
That is not usually an issue (at least not on these devices). I still have a few old asus routers at friends and family homes which I installed and all are still chugging along. Only the ac66u model for some dumb reason, I think asus had a bad batch of power switches and then eventually no longer latch in the power on position. I have 2 of them, where suddenly one day they were dead. I thought it was the power supply, until I realized that the button had popped and pushing it in would turn it on, but it would not latch in the in position. So the one item which they have (which most routers of that generation don't) turns out to be their weak spot. Initially I would just wedge a toothpick into side of button to hold it in place. Later however I just would open them up, and bridge the button with a little solder to effectively have it always in the ON position. ie: just bypass the switch. To turn it off, you just pull the power connector (like all other routers of that generation).

Asus routers is all I recommend to most when they ask me what to get. Not the cheapest, but they just work, and with asuswrt and Merlin firmware they are pretty flexible. And find me another company that still releases firmware on routers that are over 5 yrs old. Many, you'd be lucky to see updates past a year later. You have asus, and for some models netgear that will have that. Dlink, Linksys, belkin, etc... sometimes don't even release a single firmware update.
Oct 13, 2018
319 posts
380 upvotes
Stalpes must be a new store everyone keeps talking about. Thanks OP !
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6998 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote:
Considering my N66U is still working right now, Yes. I didn't get it at launch but it's at least 6 or 7 years old.
Emporium wrote: That is not usually an issue (at least not on these devices). I still have a few old asus routers at friends and family homes which I installed and all are still chugging along. Only the ac66u model for some dumb reason, I think asus had a bad batch of power switches and then eventually no longer latch in the power on position. I have 2 of them, where suddenly one day they were dead. I thought it was the power supply, until I realized that the button had popped and pushing it in would turn it on, but it would not latch in the in position. So the one item which they have (which most routers of that generation don't) turns out to be their weak spot. Initially I would just wedge a toothpick into side of button to hold it in place. Later however I just would open them up, and bridge the button with a little solder to effectively have it always in the ON position. ie: just bypass the switch. To turn it off, you just pull the power connector (like all other routers of that generation).

Asus routers is all I recommend to most when they ask me what to get. Not the cheapest, but they just work, and with asuswrt and Merlin firmware they are pretty flexible. And find me another company that still releases firmware on routers that are over 5 yrs old. Many, you'd be lucky to see updates past a year later. You have asus, and for some models netgear that will have that. Dlink, Linksys, belkin, etc... sometimes don't even release a single firmware update.
It is a strange thing to fail at the power button as most people rarely touch it.
You guys must be very lucky.
All the router I use eventually fail to some degree. When the capacitor bulge, sometimes it doesnt completely fail, but making the router unstable. It is a pita to replace the capacitor because the ground copper plate is huge and it is extremely hard to melt the solder.
Perhaps you guys have a active fan attached to it? I think heat is the number one killer of those aluminium electrolytic capacitors.
I have a Asus RT-N16 failed because of this. The router first become unstable. Later, it randomly power off. I opened it up and see the cap was bulged. I was unable to desolder the old cap because of the copper ground plate. So I just cut it off and solder a new cap to the old legs. It was then stable and well. But since it doesnt have 5GHz, and isnt fast enough for 100u, I just use it in router mode instead of gateway mode.
If you have Gb internet, the CPU of the router does matter.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2830 posts
703 upvotes
Belle River
Emporium wrote: That is not usually an issue (at least not on these devices). I still have a few old asus routers at friends and family homes which I installed and all are still chugging along. Only the ac66u model for some dumb reason, I think asus had a bad batch of power switches and then eventually no longer latch in the power on position. .....
Ha I thought it was just some fluke with mine. Awhile back I put a rubber band with something to shim it, but funny seeing this today as I just had to touch it again today to fix it. Oddly it happened after a power outage, which of course should have no effect on a physical switch but anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2941 posts
3238 upvotes
would i get more range outside the house with this than the regular bell modem?
Dec 25, 2012
675 posts
369 upvotes
Kingston
waven101 wrote: would i get more range outside the house with this than the regular bell modem?
100%
Jan 24, 2011
333 posts
64 upvotes
Montreal
Can RT-AX58U be AI mesh compatible with AC routers like Ac86u?
-------------
Public Mobile : Unlimited talk and text, 2GB - 22$
Zoomer Wireless : Unlimited, 6 GB - 40$ (free P30 Lite, 100$ credit)
IVC Cable : 100/30M Videotron cable - 40$