Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] ASUS RT-AX58U $189.99 (after $10 coupon and on sale price )

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 3:01 pm
Nov 25, 2008
207 posts
265 upvotes
CadillacJack wrote: I have the 86u and the 68u. Agree with others that Asus is the way to go - never a problem, except they’ve never AiMeshed properly together.

I think it’s a little early to move away from AC. If you need a router now, I think we’re good for a couple years, esp considering some of the challenges noted on the new AX routers.
Shouldn't you always opt for the newer technology with routers? Sure it may have some bugs but Asus seems to update firmware. Also this AX router is same price as 86u at regular price.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
elusivest wrote: What would be the advantage of using Merlin over the official firmware?
A week ago I got from kijiji a brand new, factory sealed AC68U made in 2014. It was a nightmare to update the firmware, Asus website was no help, found the solution in a forum. Looking for an update solution, I stumbled upon Merlin alternative but having initially such an old firmware, even Merlin had some warnings. Just not sure if I there are significant benefits with a Merlin firmware. Thanks
The main benefit to Merlin is bug fixes... they release far, far more often than Asus official does and they patch to the latest underlying linux packages when doing so. In addition to that, Merlin exposes quite a few quality of life settings in the UI that Asus does not, giving you much more control over a variety of settings. They even impliment wholesale new features that Asus leaves out completely but keep the extremely friendly Asus UI while doing so.

Don't be afraid of installing Merlin... just make sure to reset your router settings after doing so for the first time and you'll be good to go on both your AC68U and this AX58U.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4259 posts
1583 upvotes
GTA
The main disadvantage of merlin is the asus router app doesn't work with it.
Feb 15, 2007
940 posts
234 upvotes
Pickering
shabby wrote: The main disadvantage of merlin is the asus router app doesn't work with it.
Yes it does. Picked this up the last time Staples had it on sale and flashed Merlin right away, and the app works just fine with it (at least the Android version does).
Sep 30, 2011
84 posts
50 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: The main benefit to Merlin is bug fixes... they release far, far more often than Asus official does and they patch to the latest underlying linux packages when doing so. In addition to that, Merlin exposes quite a few quality of life settings in the UI that Asus does not, giving you much more control over a variety of settings. They even impliment wholesale new features that Asus leaves out completely but keep the extremely friendly Asus UI while doing so.

Don't be afraid of installing Merlin... just make sure to reset your router settings after doing so for the first time and you'll be good to go on both your AC68U and this AX58U.
Thanks for the reply.
Would Merlin solve the SMB1 problem? Asus says to enable it for USB external storage, Windows says not to do it because is a big vulnerability risk. I was looking forward to use the USB feature but with SMB1 not sure if is safe.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2726 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote: The main disadvantage of merlin is the asus router app doesn't work with it.
I am using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on a RT-AC66U B1 and the Asus router app works with it
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4259 posts
1583 upvotes
GTA
stormy13 wrote: Yes it does. Picked this up the last time Staples had it on sale and flashed Merlin right away, and the app works just fine with it (at least the Android version does).
Hmm it didn't on both of my ac routers, maybe it's router dependent?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
elusivest wrote: Thanks for the reply.
Would Merlin solve the SMB1 problem? Asus says to enable it for USB external storage, Windows says not to do it because is a big vulnerability risk. I was looking forward to use the USB feature but with SMB1 not sure if is safe.
Sorry, can't answer that. I mainly use NFS on my network but also use SMB2 and have SMB1 disabled. I run external servers on my network (Synology NAS, multiple raspberry Pi's) and thus don't use the USB on the router for NAS features. SmallNetBuilder's Asus forums would be a good place to ask, however:

https://www.snbforums.com
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
shabby wrote: Hmm it didn't on both of my ac routers, maybe it's router dependent?
Works fine on my older AC68U's.
Jan 1, 2008
299 posts
83 upvotes
Montreal
Tempting to replace my "old" T-Mobile AC1900 (flashed to AC68U) but I would miss the second USB port. I use one for a network printer and the other for NAS...

Does someone know if a USB hub can be attached to this router to allow for a printer and a NAS?
Apr 30, 2020
208 posts
252 upvotes
Used to be a huge fan of Asus but now I'm using the ax88u and it's a f*ckin PITA wifi wise. I have to reset the wifi at least once a day. Tried various settings still no go. At the point of RMAing this junk...
Jul 18, 2005
372 posts
85 upvotes
Anyone receive this from Staples yet? My order's shipped but no tracking # which is strange.
Jun 24, 2005
625 posts
92 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nebulous wrote: Hello, I was having issues with my Fizz modem+router and my Videotron router decided to retire :) So I decided to buy an Asus RT-AX88U. Here are the issues I faced in one week with examples of similar experiences from other users:

1- Cisco Anyconnect VPN on my Windows 10 laptop would cause the router to drop connection for all my devices at once for about 2-3 minutes 3 to 6 times a day.
Example issue: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cisco ... 68u.34384/
2- Access to router's web interface through http://router.asus.com/ stopped on the second day. It did not work even after factory reset. I figured it would let me connect to the interface if I had only one device connected to the wi-fi. Access via 192.168.50.1 worked sometimes.
Example issue: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/canno ... ion.57210/
3- On day 4, some of our devices could not connect to the wi-fi. I had to restart the router to make them connect. This issue is also present somewhere in the same forum.

Forum people suggest turning off the features like Wi-Fi 6 bands, MU-MIMO etc. to fix some of these issues. I gave in and got an AX6000 router from TP-Link to see if the problem was with the modem or the router. I have been using it for a week and there has not been a single issue since.

So if you have similar issues with an ASUS AX modem, just know that these issues can technically be fixed but it can be too much of a hassle.
I had similar issues when I bought the Asus Zen CT8. I returned it and got the AX-88u and flashed it with Merlin. It has been a week and is working great so far.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1112 posts
1645 upvotes
GPS - error
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Are you sure the capacitors inside the router can last 10 years?
I hope they're using sold state caps nowadays,... it's 2020 not 2002 :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7165 posts
3439 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
escape1975 wrote: I hope they're using sold state caps nowadays,... it's 2020 not 2002 :)
Did they actually stopped using electrolytic capacitor?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
May 2, 2017
36 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks OP. Purchased over the weekend. Seems like a solid router. Had to return a netgear rax40 since it was having a lot of crashing problem. This unit though seems solid and staple. Connects to my smart devices faster then ever.
Nov 1, 2016
95 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
CadillacJack wrote: I have the 86u and the 68u. Agree with others that Asus is the way to go - never a problem, except they’ve never AiMeshed properly together.

I think it’s a little early to move away from AC. If you need a router now, I think we’re good for a couple years, esp considering some of the challenges noted on the new AX routers.
Their AiMesh 1.0 is not really a real mash, they don't support 801.11k r or v.
But AiMesh 2.0 is coming! Should work much better.

It might be irrelevant, but after I watch a YouTube video comparing China version vs international version. All those deals are rip off!
For example, RT-AX55 here cost $159 but the Chinese version RT-AX56 V2 (same thing different model number) only cost ¥399 (CAD$80) plus always some discount available
RT-AX58U is TUF-AX3000 in China even with TUF gaming branding only cost ¥659 (CAD$130). Not to mention TUF-AX3000 latest firmware unlocks 4×4 AX5400 capability for the Broadcom chip
Not sure will RT-AX58U receive the same treatment
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4259 posts
1583 upvotes
GTA
egdeen wrote: Their AiMesh 1.0 is not really a real mash, they don't support 801.11k r or v.
But AiMesh 2.0 is coming! Should work much better.

It might be irrelevant, but after I watch a YouTube video comparing China version vs international version. All those deals are rip off!
For example, RT-AX55 here cost $159 but the Chinese version RT-AX56 V2 (same thing different model number) only cost ¥399 (CAD$80) plus always some discount available
RT-AX58U is TUF-AX3000 in China even with TUF gaming branding only cost ¥659 (CAD$130). Not to mention TUF-AX3000 latest firmware unlocks 4×4 AX5400 capability for the Broadcom chip
Not sure will RT-AX58U receive the same treatment
Hmm interesting, would these Chinese ones work over here? Where would you even purchase them? Don't see any on aliexpress.
Nov 25, 2008
207 posts
265 upvotes
Constellation wrote: Anyone receive this from Staples yet? My order's shipped but no tracking # which is strange.
Mine got canceled the next day. Live chat said they ran out of stock for home deliveries so I immediately bought one for pickup in store.

Think you should be OK since your status is shipped...hopefully.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13302 posts
3644 upvotes
Scarberia
this is better then the ac86u right? should i pickup one to do AImesh? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>