Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Brother Label Makers

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 10:56 pm
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
90 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Any 9VDC 1.5A power brick will work as long as the tip is center-negative. Most are center-positive, but one extremely common source is guitar pedal power supplies. I would expect 1A would work just fine which is a common size for guitar pedals.

I can't vouch for this particular product but it's $11 and has all positive reviews (except someone who used it on a hard drive which is almost certainly center-positive): https://www.amazon.ca/OMNIHIL-Power-Ada ... merReviews
Looking for AC Adapter. Are you sure this one compatible with H110? The description did not say it. Also, the images did not show the head.
[external advertising link removed]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2729 posts
1006 upvotes
Markham
Order cancelled, what a joke
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2211 posts
1687 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mouseswimming wrote: Looking for AC Adapter. Are you sure this one compatible with H110? The description did not say it. Also, the images did not show the head.
It should work fine.

The important part is the voltage/polarity and the barrel size.

If you look at this one (which is on amazon.com), you will see if says it is:
9V, 2A, Centre positive, with a 5.5x2.1mm barrel. And this one even listed as being compatible for the H110 explicitly.

Only difference is the one mentioned by "soupmaster666" is 1.5A vs the amazon.com one which is listed as 2A. 1.5A should be plenty. The original Brother AD-24ESA, which is mentioned as the accessory for the H110 in it's manual, is a 1.6A power supply, and that is because it needs to support some larger units also, and an additional safety margin).

So bottom line, the one mentioned by "soupmaster666" should work just fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1635 posts
502 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
SamG852 wrote: Just picked up the h110. The amount of tape that gets released before it actually prints is kinda frustrating. No way to change it due to mechanics.
Had the same issue. Waste a lot of tape (for each label). Anyone knows how to get rid of this?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1635 posts
502 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
My order was also cancelled last night. I
placed another order for ISPU.
Emporium wrote: The PT-M95 uses NON-Laminated labels. The M series is the really low end labels. They fade quite easily in my experience. I have one, but no longer ever use it, because of that issue. Especially on stuff like spice bottles where you will possibly be touching them with humid hands, and in a warm area like the kitchen.
I strongly recommend spending a little more and getting something that uses the TZ series of tapes.

Strange that the H110 are getting cancelled for people. On the stooples page, you can still add it to cart and checkout.
I'd find a an H110 in stock in a local store and do an in store pickup (at least in my area, plenty of stores are showing with 3 to 6 units on hand).
or
Go to best buy and price match stooples. Since stooples is still showing stock online, it should not be an issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2211 posts
1687 upvotes
Montreal, QC
MrBigNose wrote: Had the same issue. Waste a lot of tape (for each label). Anyone knows how to get rid of this?
All of them do the same. That is an inevitable part of the process due to design that hasn't changed in ages. Even if you decrease the margins to minimal it only helps a bit.
However if you are doing multiple labels, then set the unit to "Chain Print". This will tell the unit to NOT push/feed out the label for cutting. So it is ready for another label right behind it. After each label, it will ask you "FEED OK". Press ESC or any other key to ignore the feed option if you are going to be printing more labels. On the last label, just press OK/ENTER and it will feed the last label out for cutting. Only drawback on this for units that don't have smart autocutters, is that after it's all done, you need to use a pair of scissors to cut the labels apart.

Luckily the compatible labels are pretty cheap nowadays.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3716 posts
1172 upvotes
Emporium wrote: It should work fine.

9V, 2A, Centre positive, with a 5.5x2.1mm barrel. And this one even listed as being compatible for the H110 explicitly.
Based on the picture the one you posted is center negative, not positive.

Edit: to be clear, you want center negative for the h110.
Mar 7, 2008
402 posts
90 upvotes
Emporium wrote: It should work fine.

Only difference is the one mentioned by "soupmaster666" is 1.5A vs the amazon.com one which is listed as 2A. 1.5A should be plenty. The original Brother AD-24ESA, which is mentioned as the accessory for the H110 in it's manual, is a 1.6A power supply, and that is because it needs to support some larger units also, and an additional safety margin).

So bottom line, the one mentioned by "soupmaster666" should work just fine.
the one mentioned by "soupmaster666" should NOT work.

in the "Customer questions & answers" section, it says:
Center pin positive, outside ring negative

H110 need center negative, right?

The one you mentioned should work, but it is on amazon.com, NOT amazon.ca
[external advertising link removed]
Aug 4, 2004
819 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
MrBigNose wrote: Had the same issue. Waste a lot of tape (for each label). Anyone knows how to get rid of this?
I've had the H110 for about 9 months and honestly, the best way to avoid this is to print out multiple labels at the same time to minimize dead space. I try to plan as many labels as I can in advance.
Licensed Automotive Technician
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2211 posts
1687 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hvc wrote: Based on the picture the one you posted is center negative, not positive.

Edit: to be clear, you want center negative for the h110.
Sorry my bad.... Typing too fast.. You are correct. I meant Center negative, just like the original Brother AD-24ESA one, as recommended in the H110 manual.

mouseswimming wrote: the one mentioned by "soupmaster666" should NOT work.

in the "Customer questions & answers" section, it says:
Center pin positive, outside ring negative

H110 need center negative, right?

The one you mentioned should work, but it is on amazon.com, NOT amazon.ca
You are correct. The one posted by soupmaster666 will not work as is. I looked at it quickly initially and assumed it was center negative, but it is not.
The one I posted on amazon.com is center negative, but after shippinging fees and exchange rate, you may as well just buy the original Brother one.
Anything compatible on amazon.ca is about $25.., like this one. At that point why not buy the original one, for $30. Scary that the power adapter is more expensive that the labeller. But truth is, up until recently, their entry level units did NOT have a power connector, they were battery only.

Now, if you are a little electrical savvy, you can buy the one that soupmaster666 mentioned, and cut the cord, swap the cables, and you can get center negative. Obviously before plugging it into the ptouch label maker, use a voltmeter to test the polarity.

Or I'm sure most electronics shops will carry some with the required 9V, 1.5A+, 5.5x2.1mm barrel and center positive adapters.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1635 posts
502 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Emporium wrote: You are correct. The one posted by soupmaster666 will not work as is. I looked at it quickly initially and assumed it was center negative, but it is not.
I placed an order for the adapter this afternoon... Tried to cancel it but it is in 'prepare for shipping' status. Hopefully it can be cancelled.

I was reading a review of the above adapter a few minutes before. The buyer said the adapter worked fine for his exercise bike. This triggered me to check the adapter of my exercise bike. Bingo! 9v 1.5A. Tried it with the labeller. It worked like a charm.
Last edited by MrBigNose on Sep 12th, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 16, 2012
641 posts
177 upvotes
VANCOUVER
SamG852 wrote: Just picked up the h110. The amount of tape that gets released before it actually prints is kinda frustrating. No way to change it due to mechanics.
I saw that as well. That’s a big turn off and waste. No way to change the settings to consume less?
Mar 23, 2017
526 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
infamousdealer wrote:
I saw that as well. That’s a big turn off and waste. No way to change the settings to consume less?

No. It's even in the manual as a part of the mechanics, to which my mind says "why can't they update the mechanisms?"

The other option I figured out is just making a giant list of what I want, typing out as many characters as possible, with spaces to cut the label by scissors. Returned it regardless as a friend offered to let me use theirs.

Someone said all of them do this. Might just have to back to the old school dial ones that punch the ribbon or computer printer stickers.

There is another person on here who talked about chain printing.
Last edited by SamG852 on Sep 13th, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.