93 upvotes

[Staples] Canon Speedlite 270EX II Flash $99.97

15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1333 posts
2616 upvotes
Toronto
Would this provide a constant light that stays on while recording video?
Aug 17, 2015
302 posts
427 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
OVOSound wrote: Would this provide a constant light that stays on while recording video?
nope
Jan 13, 2005
934 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is this a good one for indoor family photos at home?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3280 posts
2009 upvotes
SW ON
OVOSound wrote: Would this provide a constant light that stays on while recording video?
flash noun: a sudden burst of light
Dec 9, 2008
283 posts
91 upvotes
Ottawa
Ordered 1. Thank you OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2902 posts
3790 upvotes
Calgary
iverson wrote: Is this a good one for indoor family photos at home?

Pointed directly at the subject will yield an overblown image. You’ll want to use a diffuser (try tissue paper or order a diffuser cap that fits over the flash) or redirect the flash by taping a white business card on top of the flash.
Oct 1, 2012
201 posts
141 upvotes
GVR
Does this work with R series mirrorless cameras? I heard old 580 EX is tricky to work and EX II is a bit better.
Apr 1, 2009
32 posts
21 upvotes
PEI
Good deal, but for my money I'd pickup an older used flash off Ebay. Specifically ebay japan - tons of camera gear. For the price of this I bought a 420EX AND a 580 EXII.

Both work well and are compatible in a master/slave setup. 3d printed cold shoe and I'm good to go. Both have a full range of motion, and the 580 has a diffuser and bounce built in. They still work properly with the low end canon DSLRs with no center pin.

Lots of fantastic deals on great equipment if you're willing to go used and wait a month for it to arrive.
Oct 1, 2012
201 posts
141 upvotes
GVR
No idea how to shop ebay japan. Check a few Sony a7 iii and they cost more than those in US.
morriscey wrote: Good deal, but for my money I'd pickup an older used flash off Ebay. Specifically ebay japan - tons of camera gear. For the price of this I bought a 420EX AND a 580 EXII.

Both work well and are compatible in a master/slave setup. 3d printed cold shoe and I'm good to go. Both have a full range of motion, and the 580 has a diffuser and bounce built in. They still work properly with the low end canon DSLRs with no center pin.

Lots of fantastic deals on great equipment if you're willing to go used and wait a month for it to arrive.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1229 posts
1055 upvotes
Moncton
The 320EX has an auxiliary "always on" light for video.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3210 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto, ON
for the price you can get Neewer flash in amazon below $40 on lightning deals which is better but this is good if you don't like to carry bigger flash for occasional shooting
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14853 posts
9179 upvotes
Southern Ontario
iverson wrote: Is this a good one for indoor family photos at home?
Any compatible flash works, it's what you do with the light. Point it backward and up, elastic black material called a flag (from Michaels or dollar store) under it. This bounces a softer forward light than direct flash.

Direct vs reverse flag:

Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2166 posts
428 upvotes
Canada
This flash is a great to carry when travelling. I’ve used it many times specifically for that purpose and have been very satisfied with results.
Jan 7, 2007
168 posts
175 upvotes
Ottawa
For bounce flash, best get older stronger flash with rotating head and auto-exposure eye.
Then you set the f/stop & flash sync shutter speed on camera manually, then point flash up & behind you for even lighting.
Good in rooms - in gym etc, point flash ahead.