• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3400 posts
105 upvotes
Pretty lame if he did took it but it he might have took it, so that you won't be able to return it. (Don't see the point, except the Sales guy didn't know what he was talking about).

Manager can override almost anything plus the printer can be sent back to the manufacturer/distributor as being a Defect essentially a "WRITE-OFF"
Jun 16, 2003
182 posts
7 upvotes
This situation reminds me of the time a few years ago when I picked up a memory card on the Staples liquidation table and opened it only when I got home. It was a returned card and, I didn't notice until I was at home. the card was put backwards into the bubble package, so I only read the size off the packaging.

Turned out to be a smaller card than what was marked on the packaging and I thought that I was going to be stuck with this card. It was going to be a little difficult to go back and tell them that it wasn't me who did a switch on them. I was pissed that someone in the store had done a switch on the memory card!

Well, there is karma in this world. I put the card into my card reader and it turns out that there were pictures on this card. Pics were of Staples employees in the store and also in the back room. These were not customer pictures and the info off the images indicated that it was likely used in one of the store demo cameras.

With a few prints in hand and of course I made copies on my computer, I went back to the store and asked to speak to the manager. As expected, the beginning of my story seemed a little fishy to the manager, but as soon as I told them about the pics on the card and showed them the pictures, they recognized the staff in the pics and was on my side without any issues.

I got myself a replacement card and a refund for the original purchase. The manager told me that they know who probably did this switch and will take care of the problem. I never found out what was done and doubt if they would tell me.

Based on my own experience and what this thread is about, I would say that it is easily possible to an employee to steal if they think they could get away with it. Doesn't matter if it is for half fill cartridges or memory cards. The problem is that the manager can only act on real proof if they decide that one person is right. Without any hard evidence, the manager always has the discretion to refund or compensate for the problem situation.

The lesson for anyone who is doing a return is to be with the person who is inspecting the merchandise. If they want to move the merchandise to the back room or anywhere that is out of sight, then I would ask them to tell the csr that they have completed the inspection. If they don't agree, then i would ask them to complete the check in front of me.