Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Chromecast with Google TV $59.99 (after $10 off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 1:28 pm
Feb 13, 2016
866 posts
1163 upvotes
avecfromage wrote: Would this run IPTV fine? I know the standard rec is Shield TV. Wondering if this would be sufficient.
I have had great performance on my IPTV, I'm using IPTV Starters Pro App
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1765 posts
835 upvotes
Kfox wrote: I found it in The Verge review:

If you strongly dislike Google TV, there’s an “apps-only mode” that can be enabled in settings that hides all recommendations from your home screen. But this is a drastic step, as it also completely disables search and Google Assistant. It hobbles the Chromecast so badly that there’s really no point in doing it — especially since it’s the same home screen, just without recommendations below your row of apps. You’d be better off just buying something else.

https://www.theverge.com/21495609/googl ... te-control
Damn. That apps only thing sounds like reason enough to buy the device, but if it cripples the box, it’s a moot point. That sucks. I hate all the ads on my fire tv so I replaced the launcher. The mi box had a more minimal interface which I rather liked. Looks like this chromecast is closer to the fire tv interface than mi box.
Feb 18, 2019
569 posts
795 upvotes
starscreamX wrote: Does this support h265 codec?
Yes. I'm using it for Plex, and it direct plays all my h265 content.
Jun 23, 2017
540 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
vitalemontea wrote: would anyone know how to add local channels to an android box
With Nvidia Shield I was using a USB TV Tuner Hauppauge HVR955Q (HD OTA antenna plugged into it) and the Live Channels app which is built-into Android TV. Works great, it pulls channel info automatically and it has a PVR function as well.

https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr955q.html

I couldn't get it to work with the Chromecast with Google TV - the Live Channels app is there, but it won't detect the USB tuner. Hopefully they'll release an update soon.
Last edited by TFC2007 on Oct 25th, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2525 posts
1239 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
aidendanger wrote: Plex works just fine on this. Not sure where you got information it doesn't. It was pre-installed on it.
The complaint I have seen is Plex isn't integrated. So if you tell it to play a movie in your Plex database, it will find it elsewhere and perhaps suggest you rent it... You can still manually navigate to the movie so long as you remember you have it.
Last edited by docbill10 on Oct 25th, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 23, 2017
540 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
funnypanks wrote: Damn. That apps only thing sounds like reason enough to buy the device, but if it cripples the box, it’s a moot point. That sucks. I hate all the ads on my fire tv so I replaced the launcher. The mi box had a more minimal interface which I rather liked. Looks like this chromecast is closer to the fire tv interface than mi box.
There are absolutely no ads on Google TV, just content suggestions based on your installed apps, subscriptions and your history. That's actually the essence of this new user interface, it puts emphasis on content over the source. It's actually pretty impressive how well it works.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
facebook259 wrote: The complaint I have seen is Plex isn't integrated. So if you tell it to play a movie in your Plex database, it will find it elsewhere and perhaps suggest you rent it...

Oh you mean using the voice feature? I have yet to test that but if it's lacking, then it's on the app devs. I'm sure an update to Plex would have the feature added down the pipe. For $60 I can't find a better media player though. If I had the dough to spend on more if have a Shield but this does all I need. For now.
Feb 18, 2019
569 posts
795 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: Plex works just fine on this. Not sure where you got information it doesn't. It was pre-installed on it.
Plex works, however unlike other android boxes, your content is not included when searching, nor does it allow you to show recommendations from Plex. Search results only include "paid" services, which is really annoying for Plex users.

Side notes for people considering this new Chromecast: There is no way to turn off the recommendations / giant ads for Disney+ and other paid services, and very little customization available. This is a streaming stick with a remote, meant to bring a bunch of paid services all together. If you're buying this thinking it's an Android TV box made by Google (like a Nexus Player refresh, what I personally was hoping for), you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Also (I'm gonna bold this cause IMO it's so stupid), there is NO refresh rate switching out of the box. I assume this is an oversight and will be fixed in the future, but for now, you're gonna be watching your glorious 4K HDR movies at 60 Hz, just like you did in 2010.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
DonkeyDoo wrote: Plex works, however unlike other android boxes, your content is not included when searching, nor does it allow you to show recommendations from Plex. Search results only include "paid" services, which is really annoying for Plex users.

Side notes for people considering this new Chromecast: There is no way to turn off the recommendations / giant ads for Disney+ and other paid services, and very little customization available. This is a streaming stick with a remote, meant to bring a bunch of paid services all together. If you're buying this thinking it's an Android TV box made by Google (like a Nexus Player refresh, what I personally was hoping for), you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Also (I'm gonna bold this cause IMO it's so stupid), there is NO refresh rate switching out of the box. I assume this is an oversight and will be fixed in the future, but for now, you're gonna be watching your glorious 4K HDR movies at 60 Hz, just like you did in 2010.
How to Disable Recommendations on Google TV
Google TV streaming devices have a Home screen stuffed with recommendations. ...
Select “Settings” from the pop-up menu.
Select “Accounts & Sign In.”
Select your Google account (the same account connected to the Home screen).
Scroll down and toggle-On the “Apps Only Mode” option.
Feb 18, 2019
569 posts
795 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: How to Disable Recommendations on Google TV
Google TV streaming devices have a Home screen stuffed with recommendations. ...
Select “Settings” from the pop-up menu.
Select “Accounts & Sign In.”
Select your Google account (the same account connected to the Home screen).
Scroll down and toggle-On the “Apps Only Mode” option.
Did you actually try this? I sure did. It disables recommendations yes, but it doesn't turn off the giant Disney+ ads, AND it disables voice search. You can't even install something from the Play store without going back into settings and turning off apps only mode. Apps only mode doesn't turn off Google's recommendations, it completely neuters the whole device.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3481 posts
3863 upvotes
Antarctica
funnypanks wrote: Damn. That apps only thing sounds like reason enough to buy the device, but if it cripples the box, it’s a moot point. That sucks. I hate all the ads on my fire tv so I replaced the launcher. The mi box had a more minimal interface which I rather liked. Looks like this chromecast is closer to the fire tv interface than mi box.
That's why I find verge articles to be idiotic. Disabling assistant, recommendations and search doesnt "hobble" the box for some of us if all we want is an app screen with a list of apps to run so I can enjoy content.

I have enough crap with assistants, searching and recommending me crap I don't feel like watching, thank you.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
2178 posts
2040 upvotes
By the Large Bay
sheyenne wrote: This device is quite weak with its specs and storage, RAM. It's not for true chord cutters who don't have a streaming subscription. You'll need a compatible USB-C Hub. More info here.
You only need the hub if you plan to connect an external drive to it from what I can find. I was looking at this to add "smarts" to an older TV without having to buy a complete TV. For me it's Netflix and watching content on my in-house Plex server which it'll do out of the box with no additional hardware.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
Google never ceases to amaze with how fickle they are with not just technology but also even with names. "Google TV", if anyone remembers, started out as their smart TV platform in 2010. Within as little as three years they deprecated the platform and pretty much all devices that used it (several Sony products, of note), were doomed. Anyone remember when NSZ-GS7s were basically being given away with bank promos, etc?

Then Google moved on to Android TV which again Sony (among other makers) quickly adopted and was in use for years.

Now in 2020, we're somehow back to...Google TV? Really? Thankfully this time it's not actually something new as it's still based on Android TV I believe? But then why not call it "Chromecast w/Android TV"? That's Google for you I guess :shrug:
Dec 22, 2006
159 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I have an older AVR cannot decode Dolby Digital PLUS. Can Chromecast Google TV passthru DD+ (netflix) as DD audio. I know the Fire TV can do it.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2316 posts
1091 upvotes
TFC2007 wrote: With Nvidia Shield I was using a USB TV Tuner Hauppauge HVR955Q (HD OTA antenna plugged into it) and the Live Channels app which is built-into Android TV. Works great, it pulls channel info automatically and it has a PVR function as well.

https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr955q.html

I couldn't get it to work with the Chromecast with Google TV - the Live Channels app is there, but it won't detect the USB tuner. Hopefully they'll release an update soon.
Man, this takes me back, did not know they are still around.. remember Hauppauge tv tuners were included in Windows Media center PCs, think this was 15 yrs ago XP days..

I digress, have the shield 2017, don't think this google box will add anything to the former.. cool, more options though..
Jun 16, 2007
366 posts
120 upvotes
Has anyone tried to see if you can load or side-load the Rogers Ignite TV app on to this? Trying to find a device that can do this (besides a tablet) would be an insta-buy.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Only compressed audio (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1) as your TV doesn't support eARC. It also has HDR10 support but lacks Dolby Vision as far as I'm aware. A Shield would be a good upgrade for you if you have a receiver or soundbar that supports TrueHD, DTS:X, etc.
I already have a Shield 2017 that I use daily. But I also use the TV as well. I think I have all my bases covered including a PSVR and now an Oculus Go. Don't really need a lot of the new bells and whistles. Saved that for my bud's 120" projector and Atmos surround system. Now, that is NICE to watch things on...
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Circuit wrote: Has anyone tried to see if you can load or side-load the Rogers Ignite TV app on to this? Trying to find a device that can do this (besides a tablet) would be an insta-buy.

Haven't tried because having this is one of the reasons I don't need Rogers. You can simply use the app and cast to your Chromecast though.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Circuit wrote: Has anyone tried to see if you can load or side-load the Rogers Ignite TV app on to this? Trying to find a device that can do this (besides a tablet) would be an insta-buy.
I thought you could pull the apk off the tablet/phone and then sideload it into another Android device. At least, that was mentioned in the Youtube comments using X-Plore media. I have that software (paid version) but I've never tried it. Would be handy if true...

Yes, X-Plore does allow you to pull the apks off a device and then store them so you can put them on something else. That's interesting...
Last edited by DougO on Oct 25th, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)