Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Chromecast with Google TV $59.99 (after $10 off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 1:28 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10007 posts
2436 upvotes
Winnipeg
TFC2007 wrote:
Back in 2010 the Google TV box was actually ahead of its time with the concept of aggregating content from all sources. It didn't catch on because the streaming industry was just starting.

I don't see any issue with resurrecting the Google TV brand - it actually aligns with the company's other services: Google Pay, Google Drive, Google One, Google Play etc. I bet Android Auto will follow suit soon.

And yes, Google TV is the latest/upgraded version of Android TV which will be replaced by it. Being a Google device, the advantage of the Chromecast with Google TV over other devices is it will always receive the latest updates/features directly from Google first. Other boxes/TV's (including Nvidia Shield) will be updated months later, very similar to Pixel phones vs the rest of Android world.

https://9to5google.com/2020/09/30/andro ... tv-update/

Starting in 2021, Google TV will start showing up on set-top boxes, dongles, and full smart TVs from Google’s current Android TV partners while regular Android TV devices can also hit the market. By 2022, all Android TV retail devices will be using the new platform. Currently available Android TV devices will also either be updated to the new experience or adopt some of its features over time.
it wasn't ahead of its time?? They were following a path started by others already. The very first commercial device was appletv original but it was limited in its online content to apple,netflix youtube and a handful of other stuffetc. The very first true innovator and way better than the googletv back then was the boxee box in 2010 who had an actual hulu app for watching tv shows. It was a hit because it could it all and offered pasthru dts-ma too for local playback. It was too good! It was a threat to the current tv conglomerate at the time. The only thing half decent about the NSZ-GS7 was the remote.
baillieul wrote: Will apple TV somehow work on this device?
TFC2007 wrote: There's no app, but you could easily just cast to it from Chrome, then use the remote to pause/play/volume.
chrome doesn't support widevine for hd 4k. Last I read edge does in windows based. so your casting over wifi twice for a poorer display. Plus not an applicable option for poor grandma to pull off. Personally anything that needs casting to watch subscription based material doubles the cost to watch it from source.
aidendanger wrote: How is it "below" Firestick?
no auto-refresh rate in cc.
Last edited by lead on Oct 25th, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2014
198 posts
253 upvotes
I currently have a dreamlink 2 android box for IPTV using an app called DOL2.

Would I be able to download an IPTV app on this and get rid of my dreamlink android box?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28010 posts
8449 upvotes
congeestar wrote: Looks like I need to get the Fire TV stick or upgrade my AVR to play Netflix DD+ 5.1 audio. Thank you
Fire TV stick and Chromecast w/Google TV should behave the same; but yes, to get actual unmolested DD+ 5.1 the only way you will accomplish that is via an AVR that can decode it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28010 posts
8449 upvotes
TFC2007 wrote: Back in 2010 the Google TV box was actually ahead of its time with the concept of aggregating content from all sources. It didn't catch on because the streaming industry was just starting.
Agreed but instead of Google upgrading it in any meaningful way they just dumped it and went with a new version and named it something else. But this is typical of a company that releases a new Android "flavour" every 6 months or so.
TFC2007 wrote: I don't see any issue with resurrecting the Google TV brand - it actually aligns with the company's other services: Google Pay, Google Drive, Google One, Google Play etc. I bet Android Auto will follow suit soon.
It's not really an "issue" it's just confusing and makes it seem like they're doing their usual "thing" of obsoleting things when it seems that's not the case at least this time. But this doesn't sound that reassuring either:
TFC2007 wrote: Starting in 2021, Google TV will start showing up on set-top boxes, dongles, and full smart TVs from Google’s current Android TV partners while regular Android TV devices can also hit the market. By 2022, all Android TV retail devices will be using the new platform. Currently available Android TV devices will also either be updated to the new experience or adopt some of its features over time.
What do they mean by "regular Android TV" and what do they mean by "either" updated or "some" of its features? lol Good ol' Google.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2009
1171 posts
466 upvotes
Laval
12andy12 wrote: I currently have a dreamlink 2 android box for IPTV using an app called DOL2.

Would I be able to download an IPTV app on this and get rid of my dreamlink android box?
Yes you just need to sideload install the app.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2026 posts
246 upvotes
NB
Is this worth the extra $15 over the Firestick 4K?
Oct 22, 2016
224 posts
68 upvotes
how is Chromecast with google tv compare to Amazon Fire TV Cube? I got Amazon Fire TV Cube for free as gift. If Chromecast with google TV is better, I will sell Fire TV Cube and buy chromcast.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10007 posts
2436 upvotes
Winnipeg
coolmanfever wrote: how is Chromecast with google tv compare to Amazon Fire TV Cube? I got Amazon Fire TV Cube for free as gift. If Chromecast with google TV is better, I will sell Fire TV Cube and buy chromcast.
only if you want to cast within android.

look at this way. The firecube and the shield and the atv4k those 3 have the most powerful socs and gpu on any set top media player on the market. The atv 4k has the most power soc(a10), then the firecube(quad/a73/dual/a53) and then the shield(quad/a57). The shield has the most powerful gpu, then the atv4k then the cube(g52mp6). The cube's s922z soc/g52 is around 2-3 times more powerful than the cc's a55soc/gpu(g31) plus double the nand size of 16gb too so it could natively support more apps.
Last edited by lead on Oct 25th, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10007 posts
2436 upvotes
Winnipeg
phillyjim wrote: The MIBox S appears to be available here for $99 for anyone considering it... is it competitive with the Shield for features and performance excluding gaming?

https://swiftronics.ca/products/mi-box- ... 2583&_ss=r
no it has no truehd support nor even dolby vision etc both cc and the firestick are a far better value at a much lower cost.
Last edited by lead on Oct 25th, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3968 posts
1773 upvotes
BC
I read somewhere that they pushed an update that allows account switching so different users can have their own recommendations.
This is a very big deal for this device. Can anyone confirm it?
Dec 22, 2007
783 posts
429 upvotes
Can you fast forward or rewind with the remote ?
Aug 17, 2018
216 posts
125 upvotes
Feegus wrote: I read somewhere that they pushed an update that allows account switching so different users can have their own recommendations.
This is a very big deal for this device. Can anyone confirm it?
Only played with it for 5 minutes after setup to compare speed and layout to shield, before leaving house. Different worlds as far as I could tell, but bought for travel anyways. Shields are safe.
Some firmware update did push after setup.
I'll add another account tonight to test.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2861 posts
1416 upvotes
lead wrote: only if you want to cast within android.

look at this way. The firecube and the shield and the atv4k those 3 have the most powerful socs and gpu on any set top media player on the market. The atv 4k has the most power soc(a10), then the firecube(quad/a73/dual/a53) and then the shield(quad/a57). The shield has the most powerful gpu, then the atv4k then the cube(g52mp6). The cube's s922z soc/g52 is around 2-3 times more powerful than the cc's a55soc/gpu(g31) plus double the nand size of 16gb too so it could natively support more apps.
The a55's L2 latency is 8 cycles vs 20 cycles for the A73. The L2 is where arm has been putting a lot of work in because the old one in the a73/a53 was giant mess. The bus interface will also be much faster with the A55/A75 than the a53/a73.

Don't look at these devices as PCs, they're not. The real-life performance will mostly depend on:
  • Amount of RAM
  • Generic (GPU) and Dedicated Accelerators (Crypto, support for specific codecs in VPU)
  • Bus's bandwidth.
  • Network speed
  • Software's efficiency
The CPU's cores will be idle most of the time. Core's speed matters mostly in UI. That's why the ancient Shield is still a force with 3GB of RAM, real GigE, and a beast of a GPU. However, my 2017 Shield can't do Youtube/GPM HDR because its VPU lacks support for the codec.
Last edited by bogolisk on Oct 25th, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Oct 22, 2016
224 posts
68 upvotes
lead wrote: only if you want to cast within android.

thanks for the breakdown. So If I keep fire stick cube, I will not be able to cast youtube videos onto my TV from youtube app to fire stick cube?
Nov 25, 2016
118 posts
42 upvotes
Just picked one up at Staples with the code. Initial impressions are that i dont really need it since i have a smart TV. However, it's pretty cool to be able to cast your desktop / other tabs on your computer, so will likely keep it just for that. Saves me having to connect my computer via HDMI or transferring files via USB which I do quite frequently. The interface is slick / fast for netflix / disney + etc., definitely smoother than the my samsung tv interface.

Anything else cool i can do with this thing that i'm missing?
Aug 4, 2007
488 posts
118 upvotes
can you connect a Bluetooth keyboard to this to make typing easier?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14415 posts
3461 upvotes
avecfromage wrote: Would this run IPTV fine? I know the standard rec is Shield TV. Wondering if this would be sufficient.
What standard? Iptv runs smooth on Mi Box S, Mi Box 3, Firestick 4K, Fire TV Cube, Google Nexus Player
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1442 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto
Caesu wrote: can you connect a Bluetooth keyboard to this to make typing easier?
Yup should work it has bluetooth.