Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Chromecast with Google TV $59.99 (after $10 off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 1:28 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11027 posts
3585 upvotes
aljudeh wrote: I did an online order, got it delivered, got the coupon honored over chat and refund processed around $11 including tax.
I just can't be bothered. Maybe it's a sign I should wait for a Black Friday sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1744 posts
326 upvotes
Halifax
I'm actually waiting for sunrise color to show up at various retailers
RIP E3 30% off pre order games 2011-2019 :twisted:
Jul 24, 2002
469 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
Q for you guys...

W the remote, you can mute, vol up, vol down, and select input. Can you use it to forward/rewind (10 secs?) a video? Pause? Play?
KLUTZO

<no linking to external sites>
4K for the real world

Videography geek, Game geek, Family geek, all round geek!
Dec 3, 2009
227 posts
49 upvotes
Burlington
klutzo wrote: Q for you guys...

W the remote, you can mute, vol up, vol down, and select input. Can you use it to forward/rewind (10 secs?) a video? Pause? Play?
Yes i just tested that out the volume up down and mute. I'll try others later.
Voice pause rewind work .
Couldn't change source by voice.
Maybe others know how?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
lead wrote: I think its catering to the existing casting enthusiasts and has focused its attention on maximizing return on streaming and cloud.Not for the htpc enthusiats otherwise the available storage space would be much larger than 4.x gb and or much more affordable easier to add adoptable storage conveniently. This way lower storage consolidates streaming apps with lower cache and forces cloud dependency for everything else. Now tack on no truehd support nor refresh rate which isn't needed so much for major legit subscription streaming services for each region's fixed refresh rate. Lump it altogether and its almost obvious.
I agree about its target market, at least in the beginning of its life. There is no technical reason it can't bitstream HD, including with Atmos, and it could easily support refresh rate switching, both with a firmware update. I'd almost bet an update for refresh rate switching will come sooner rather than later... time will tell on both counts, of course. As for storage expansion, its really easy to add a USB-C hub with microSD or HDD/SSD expansion... couldn't get much easier in my books even for those with little technical knowledge (plug-n-play, essentially). In any case its a hell of a value as a streaming only option, specially with the Netflix rebate, but not if you ever want to play back local files. At least, not yet.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13293 posts
3638 upvotes
Scarberia
lead wrote: I never ran ethernet on a firestick its wifi was fine with my network. I found the cheapest way with punch is a proven affordable microsd card with very fast small4k in a usb reader and its fine and cheap and less cluttered on a right angle microusb adapter(no clutter) which altogether with the extra 32gb of storage was just 15 bucks, adapter was 5,the sd reader was 2 bucks the 32gb was 7.99. Remember cc uses fat32 so its restricted to 4gb file size anyway your not storing any big hd files on it.

Hearing +30 for a hub and another +20-30 for a psu to power it and still you still have to pay for the storage? is not an attractive selling point to me.Your way over +100 now and thats a different price niche and expectations and 0 playback improvement.

USB C hub is like 38$ bucks, ssd is old one lieing around, power plug was from my laptop..but true extra costs will add up, im not liking this stock CC remote tho, i have a cheap airmouse on the way, could also use a mini keyboard with trackpad as well but i don't like that, im suprised it can't be rooted being its a google device, most google devices are easily rooted
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
lead wrote: I never ran ethernet on a firestick its wifi was fine with my network. I found the cheapest way with punch is a proven affordable microsd card with very fast small4k in a usb reader and its fine and cheap and less cluttered on a right angle microusb adapter(no clutter) which altogether with the extra 32gb of storage was just 15 bucks, adapter was 5,the sd reader was 2 bucks the 32gb was 7.99. Remember cc uses fat32 so its restricted to 4gb file size anyway your not storing any big hd files on it.

Hearing +30 for a hub and another +20-30 for a psu to power it and still you still have to pay for the storage? is not an attractive selling point to me.Your way over +100 now and thats a different price niche and expectations and 0 playback improvement.
The new Chromecast was just released. Give it a bit of time... the market will soon be flooded with USB-C based storage expansion and/or Ethernet options for the Chromecast at all price points, I can guarantee that (Chinese makers will flood the market).
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
klutzo wrote: Q for you guys...

ff, rew and skip functions are app dependent. Some support it (Netflix, etc) some do not (DAZN, etc ... grrrr).
Jan 17, 2019
10 posts
1 upvote
I purchased online but picked up in store and got the credit done over chat. $10.50 including tax here in Alberta. Another option if you don't want to wait for shipping but are not sure if your local store will accept the coupon.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4688 posts
6662 upvotes
Vancouver
In my case scenario, with Netflix savings included, this toy for $40 is a bargain that I don't believe BF will see..

People saying it could stream Plex just fine, so probably Jellyfin as well, and it really makes it hands down the best solution for my bedroom/guestroom stupid TV... No need for uber high def audio there, or gaming... And additional ability to cast browser and what not to TV is just plus... All at the price of cheaply made "android TV boxes"....
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5011 posts
996 upvotes
Montreal
isaacle wrote: I purchased online but picked up in store and got the credit done over chat. $10.50 including tax here in Alberta. Another option if you don't want to wait for shipping but are not sure if your local store will accept the coupon.
The generic code expiring on Oct. 31st is for in-store purchases as well
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2866 posts
1423 upvotes
Might get one on BF, just for the speedy Assistant.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Jul 24, 2002
469 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
Elrondolio wrote: ff, rew and skip functions are app dependent. Some support it (Netflix, etc) some do not (DAZN, etc ... grrrr).
Hmm.. does Plex support FFW FRW?
KLUTZO

<no linking to external sites>
4K for the real world

Videography geek, Game geek, Family geek, all round geek!
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
klutzo wrote: Hmm.. does Plex support FFW FRW?
Yes... most of the mainstream apps do as well.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13293 posts
3638 upvotes
Scarberia
For more Alexa voice commands. Use Alberto sonorous app and enable skill... U can open most apps by voice ymmv.. I couldn't get it to work on 4k firestick
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1172 posts
240 upvotes
Gatineau
Yes me. It never wanted to connect to 2.4ghz
It connected to 5ghz. All other devices do.
At the beginning I was not satisfied with streaming quality, got better after some hiccups.
I'll monitor...
parm09 wrote: Anyone having trouble with Wi-Fi? Rest of my devices are working fine.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10019 posts
2445 upvotes
Winnipeg
Elrondolio wrote: I agree about its target market, at least in the beginning of its life. There is no technical reason it can't bitstream HD, including with Atmos, and it could easily support refresh rate switching, both with a firmware update. I'd almost bet an update for refresh rate switching will come sooner rather than later... time will tell on both counts, of course. As for storage expansion, its really easy to add a USB-C hub with microSD or HDD/SSD expansion... couldn't get much easier in my books even for those with little technical knowledge (plug-n-play, essentially). In any case its a hell of a value as a streaming only option, specially with the Netflix rebate, but not if you ever want to play back local files. At least, not yet.
Yes it could bitstream but.... so could the mibox but look what happened recently!! It lost its ability with latest android pie. Its of the same family of soc shared with CC. So that doesn't bold well. It started with mibox s with oreo lost its ability first. Then followed suit with all mibox's with android 9. Works if you go back a firwmare. Its lost the support and they are all certified androidtv with casting license so its pretty clear for NA this its being enforced to os licensing by dolby. So I wager thats at a cost to unlock and there is no reason hardware wise for it to not be available as it would only have bolster sales and reviews. But if their concern is streaming only..well it makes more sense to not waste a nickle in anything that doesn't promote streaming and cloud. Kinda like granting dual layer uhd 4k disk support to none disk players doesn't help sell disks.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
Snow, Sunrise and Sky colours are back in stock (Snow specifically) for the $119.99 Netflix deal at the Google Store:

https://store.google.ca/config/chromeca ... tv_netflix

In BC this works out to $39.69 pre-tax after Netflix credit or $44.45 ($134.39-$89.94) all in after taxes, minus credit. Thats 43.3% off the standard after tax price ($78.39) for a savings of $33.94 all in after credit... far better than this $10 off pre-tax from Staples (16.7% off all in), assuming your already have or want Netflix.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Oct 28th, 2020 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8930 posts
5342 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote: Snow, Sunrise and Sky colours are back in stock (Snow specifically) for the $120 Netflix deal at the Google Store:

https://store.google.ca/config/chromeca ... tv_netflix

Again, with this deal that makes the Chromecast $40 pre-tax, assuming you already subscribe to Netflix or will now (a credit that applies to any Netflix subscription type).
Yes good deal, with Netflix credit of $83.94, cost works out to be $51.65 after tax (in ON) for the Chromecast.
Oct 1, 2006
71 posts
82 upvotes
calgary
Canada_7 wrote: If you already have Netflix, I think the $119.99 with 6 months of Netflix (Standard plan I believe) from the Google store is better. However, the wait I believe right now is minimum 3-4 weeks for the white. Sunrise I think isn't available in that package until last week of Nov/first week of Dec. The blue one is a longer wait; not until right before Christmas that it'll reach your home.

With the Netflix credit, I think you can technically count the Chromecast as $45.65 tax in.

$119.99 x 1.13 = $135.59 (if you live in Ontario)
$135.59 - $14.99 x 6 = $45.65

That equates to buying the Chromecast at $40.40 prior to tax.
you should post this as a new deal - for people that have netflix this is a better deal
FYI - the blue and sunrise colours are in stock now