Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Chromecast with Google TV $59.99 (after $10 off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 1:28 pm
Jun 23, 2017
315 posts
428 upvotes
Feegus wrote: Whats the easiest way to cast Reddit posts to a TV thats hooked up with one of these?
On my phone, I'll share funny posts with my wife via MMS but is there a good way to send to these to the ccwgtv via desktop?

I really want the ability to interrupt her shows with dumb stuff that I think is funny Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Very easy actually, you can cast straight from the Chrome tab:

Cast a tab from Chrome
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More and then Cast.
Choose the Chromecast device where you want to watch the content.
If you're already using the Chromecast, your content will replace what's on your TV.
When you're done, to the right of the address bar, click Cast Active cast extension and then Stop casting.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/a ... ktop&hl=en
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8939 posts
3255 upvotes
TFC2007 wrote: ...and Nest cameras, Nest Hello.

If you're using a Nest/Google speaker, you can set-up a "Default TV" and "Default Music Speaker", so you won't have to specify which TV to play on.

For instance, you can just say "OK Google, play Stranger things form Netflix" and the TV will turn on automatically, open the Netflix app and start playing.
Or, "OK Google, play 21 Pilots" - TV will turn on and start playing music from Youtube Music (or whichever service you're using) though your audio system hooked up to your TV. It can also be added to multi-room audio groups.
"OK Google, show me photos from Mexico trip" - TV turns on, starts showing photos from your Google Photos account.
So, if my Chromecast is plugged into my sound bar, which connects to my TV. Am I able to put the chromecast into my "group" with my Nest Home Max, and 3x nest minis? IE. When I cast music to all speakers, will it turn on the TV and output the audio through my sound bar?

If so, that will make the whole purchase worth it, as it will free up another mini for another room, and my living room will get the soundbar playing which has the best sound quality!
Feb 5, 2017
380 posts
384 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know how the performance is when compared to Fire Stick 4K?

Looking to replace my dad's super slow Roku
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19489 posts
6651 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
markj wrote: ^thats pretty cool but it only works if your TV supports hdmi CEC controls, otherwise it wont be able to turn on the TV via IR
Yeah only every TV that has an HDMI port supports CEC, pretty much.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2009
1171 posts
466 upvotes
Laval
Gutty96 wrote: So, if my Chromecast is plugged into my sound bar, which connects to my TV. Am I able to put the chromecast into my "group" with my Nest Home Max, and 3x nest minis? IE. When I cast music to all speakers, will it turn on the TV and output the audio through my sound bar?

If so, that will make the whole purchase worth it, as it will free up another mini for another room, and my living room will get the soundbar playing which has the best sound quality!
Yes, you can add it to your home group. It will turn on your TV and chromecast. I dont know if it'll turn on your soundbar though, unless your TV turns on your soundbar.
Jun 23, 2017
315 posts
428 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: So, if my Chromecast is plugged into my sound bar, which connects to my TV. Am I able to put the chromecast into my "group" with my Nest Home Max, and 3x nest minis? IE. When I cast music to all speakers, will it turn on the TV and output the audio through my sound bar?

Yes, I have mine included in a group with a few Google Homes, one Max, Minis and one CC audio.
If your soundbar can already turn on/off the TV through HDMI-CEC, then yes. Just try a few combinations and see what works. However I think it's best to plug it into the TV, then the TV would turn on the soundbar. The Chromecast will definitely turn on/off the TV through HDMI-CEC.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5980 posts
414 upvotes
Calgary
BinaryJay wrote: Yeah only every TV that has an HDMI port supports CEC, pretty much.
not the fairly recent samsung I'm using with this but your right most do these days
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
Yazzy88 wrote: Anyone know how the performance is when compared to Fire Stick 4K?

Looking to replace my dad's super slow Roku
CC is faster, by a lot in UI interactions with a few tweaks specially. Your dad will most likely like the CC better than the Roku (my 78 year old mom did).
Dec 24, 2010
103 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Would u expect it to be cheaper on Black Friday?
Sep 23, 2003
280 posts
65 upvotes
GTA
crosby86 wrote: Would u expect it to be cheaper on Black Friday?
I doubt its----I would OOS on black Friday. Its a great device and a huge seller for Google
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2447 posts
1153 upvotes
Mississauga
I wonder if this can support the Rogers ignite app... I hate that they aren't supporting cast... But they have no issues with phones or iPads logging in
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13273 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
Google play store on This CC is gimped! It's not appealing like aptoidtv app... So many apps won't work. And u gotta sideload it and use mouse toggle app.... Even then it doesn't work.. Cc gets confused when u have airmouse ... BT remote 4k stick one and stock remote

Also set oririentation app won't work so no full screen on alot of apps I sideload
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13273 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
how do i disable that voice talking back to me whenever i navigate, its so annoying, i must have press something by mistake to activate it lol...it keeps saying skip ad in youtube, home tab, search tab! tia , something is messed with this thing...so many bugs..when u set developers option animation speeds to all zero the home screen at the top is messed up!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19489 posts
6651 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
markj wrote: not the fairly recent samsung I'm using with this but your right most do these days
What model are you talking about, because I am 99% sure you have to be wrong.
You know that a lot of the time they don't actually call it CEC right? For example, on Sony they call it BraviaSync for no good reason - but it's just CEC.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13273 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
damn, mouse toggle and home button to custom wolf launcher doesn't work on this device either! this thing is so frustrating! no POWER off, only restart lol

maybe google fix these mods! or user error on my part..i restarted CC and it broke it
Oct 26, 2020
4 posts
Gary320 wrote: What happens if you just cast from the app on your phone and not through the Fibe App on your chromecast?
That works but it's pretty low quality. Also VPN doesn't make a difference, same notification comes up. Guess it won't be possible.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2009
1171 posts
466 upvotes
Laval
sunpowerwaves wrote: That works but it's pretty low quality. Also VPN doesn't make a difference, same notification comes up. Guess it won't be possible.
Low quality? Check the apps video settings on your phone, I usually get good quality when I would stream from Bell Fibe App to chromecast. Another option is to just cast from a chrome browser to the Chromecast. App will not work outside of the network.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1959 posts
479 upvotes
Vaughan
sunpowerwaves wrote: So I guess the fibeTV app wont work on Google TV outside the network ? Works on PC and iPad. Anyway around this?
Maybe check how you are signed into the app. Use your username and password instead of network authentication.
Jul 28, 2020
3 posts
Apparently if you have FibeTv you should be able to watch it on google tv without their internet account to the bell rep i talked to on chat. I couldnt test it though because i only have bell satellite tv..
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1959 posts
479 upvotes
Vaughan
Baymaxs wrote: Apparently if you have FibeTv you should be able to watch it on google tv without their internet account to the bell rep i talked to on chat. I couldnt test it though because i only have bell satellite tv..
I have a 2nd gen ChromeCast and a smartTV running AndroidTV. I can cast from the FibeTV app on my phone in high quality to both with no issues. Live TV and recordings both work and work well.