Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Chromecast with Google TV $59.99 (after $10 off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 1:28 pm
Jul 28, 2020
3 posts
d_source wrote: I have a 2nd gen ChromeCast and a smartTV running AndroidTV. I can cast from the FibeTV app on my phone in high quality to both with no issues. Live TV and recordings both work and work well.
What Internet service provider are you with? on the error message it says you have to have bell internet for it to work
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1959 posts
479 upvotes
Vaughan
Baymaxs wrote: What Internet service provider are you with? on the error message it says you have to have bell internet for it to work
Fibe internet with Bell. I didn't think it was tied to that. Pretty awful if that's how they've configured it. But I wouldn't expect any differently from Bell.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5980 posts
414 upvotes
Calgary
BinaryJay wrote: What model are you talking about, because I am 99% sure you have to be wrong.
You know that a lot of the time they don't actually call it CEC right? For example, on Sony they call it BraviaSync for no good reason - but it's just CEC.
Doesnt look like it, its samsung un32h5203 ... I do realize its under different names on diff TVs
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8420 posts
3609 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
markj wrote: Doesnt look like it, its samsung un32h5203 ... I do realize its under different names on diff TVs
The first FAQ in the support page is about that.
https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mode ... 5203AFXZC/
https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/tv-a ... -smart-tv/
Anynet + (HDMI CEC) is activated in the factory for Samsung Soundbar and Home Cinema System. If your device is other than Samsung Soundbar or Home Cinema System, you need to make sure that the Anynet + (HDMI-CEC) function is activated on your Smart TV.

For T/Q, R/Q, N/Q, and M/Q series smart TVs (from 2017)
Home> Settings> General> External device management> Anynet + (HDMI CEC)

For K series Smart TV (2016)
Home> Settings> System> Expert settings> Anynet + (HDMI-CEC)

For Smart TV up to the J series (2015)
Menu> System> Anynet + (HDMI-CEC)
It maybe that you need a specific HDMI port.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5980 posts
414 upvotes
Calgary
^HDMI arc is something different from HDMI CEC fyi
Oct 7, 2020
72 posts
143 upvotes
onthemove wrote: I know there is a thread that exists already for the $10 off $50 or more at Staples. I just wanted to highlight that you can get the Google Chromecast with Google TV for $59.99 with the code but will need to go either instore or order online and speak to an agent to be credited the $10. I was able to do it instore with no issues. I created this thread specifically because this Chromecast just came out and I doubt there will be sales on it before Black Friday and even then doubt it will be less then $59.99.
*Applying the code at checkout wont work, will need to use instore or message an agent after ordering to have the $10 credited to you*
Code is: 75358

Also its a great device and I have replaced my Firestick with it!
My order was canceled by Staples as they were unable to fulfill. Unamused Face
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8420 posts
3609 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
markj wrote: ^HDMI arc is something different from HDMI CEC fyi
I know, but from the document they seem to be nested in the same option.

Either way, might be a Black Friday special that it had it removed.
Dec 3, 2018
343 posts
318 upvotes
LarryT778370 wrote: Same.. I don't know why staples always cancel my order. Disappointing..
Mine was cancelled too, I called them and customer service offered me $20 discount on next purchase, better you guys call them!
Nov 24, 2018
495 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Staple coupon works in store. I printed out the coupon and they reduce 10$ off.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by BertL67369 on Oct 30th, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add photo
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
508 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Not trying to be rude... again in this thread another incorrect statement. If you want home theatre quaility playback of local movies and shows off a hard drive or network, the Shield is the only way to go. It supports uncompressed Dolby TrueHD, Dolby TrueHD Atmos, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, PCM 7.1, etc. There is such a huge difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD: Atmos and other audio formats. The Chromecast can't even switch refresh rates on your TV on local media playback (23.976 fps, etc).

I wish people would understand this. Sure, for *online only* streaming the Chromecast with Google TV would be my number 1 choice as it supports compressed Dolby Digital+ with Atmos and Dolby Vision. But you can't compare this with a Shield when it comes to full home theatre use via local file playback where the Chomecast is very much lacking.
Can the Firestick 4k deliver different framerates like 23.976/30/60 FPS to the TV?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
Quickman wrote: Can the Firestick 4k deliver different framerates like 23.976/30/60 FPS to the TV?
Partially. Only Apple TV supports framerate switching in Netflix, etc as those companies directly wrote in support on that platform. Unfortunately the Apple TV platform has other limitations... I sure wish all these features were standardized across platforms and streaming companies. In the end, the Shield is the best supported for these kinds of features since Nvidia steps in and patches the firmware specifically to address these issues, but even there Netflix has not released updates to support framerate switching within their own app, etc.
Nov 4, 2013
223 posts
175 upvotes
North York, ON
[Google Store] My order for the blue was looking to arrive in December. But I ordered a white version (previously sold out) and now that is delivering early Nov.

Just a heads up.
Images
  • 2020-10-30 21_21_42-Thanks for your Google Store order (GS.5446-5091-3278) - contact@greg.ng - Grego.png
Nov 7, 2013
824 posts
634 upvotes
Ottawa
mikka2017 wrote: damn, mouse toggle and home button to custom wolf launcher doesn't work on this device either! this thing is so frustrating! no POWER off, only restart lol

maybe google fix these mods! or user error on my part..i restarted CC and it broke it
No offense, but perhaps you should not be using developer options if you aren't sure what your doing. There are settings in there that can severely obscure your performance and ability to use the device. Not sure what you mean by no power off, it most definitely has that option.
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
508 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Partially. Only Apple TV supports framerate switching in Netflix, etc as those companies directly wrote in support on that platform. Unfortunately the Apple TV platform has other limitations... I sure wish all these features were standardized across platforms and streaming companies. In the end, the Shield is the best supported for these kinds of features since Nvidia steps in and patches the firmware specifically to address these issues, but even there Netflix has not released updates to support framerate switching within their own app, etc.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. My use case would be local media thru plex/kodi/emby/etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9996 posts
2414 upvotes
Winnipeg
Quickman wrote: Can the Firestick 4k deliver different framerates like 23.976/30/60 FPS to the TV?
Elrondolio wrote: Partially. Only Apple TV supports framerate switching in Netflix, etc as those companies directly wrote in support on that platform. Unfortunately the Apple TV platform has other limitations... I sure wish all these features were standardized across platforms and streaming companies. In the end, the Shield is the best supported for these kinds of features since Nvidia steps in and patches the firmware specifically to address these issues, but even there Netflix has not released updates to support framerate switching within their own app, etc.
Its basically only just in netflix it can't. Like every android device and even the roku. Only the built in tv app or appletv does it work.

The 4k stick in fact does support all those fractional refresh rates automatically in the rest of its apps that allow access to it. Like for instance kodi for local playback. I read somewhere strangely enough that the netflix issue is mostly a drm related problem. Something to do with getting access to display of licensed content while its being decoded or something along those lines.
Last edited by lead on Oct 31st, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2443 posts
1153 upvotes
Mississauga
For anyone wondering, this doesn't work with Rogers ignite tv. App isn't available.

After about 4 hours of usage, I find it a bit more laggy than the firestick 4k.

Ill report back tmrw.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!