Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Chromecast with Google TV $59.99 (after $10 off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 1:28 pm
Feb 25, 2003
434 posts
230 upvotes
Vancouver
Troy point has a guide on that. 14 minute mark

ck01 wrote: I was using Puffin TV browser until the damn thing asked for a monthly fee.
Any alternative? TV Web browser isn't good.
I guess I can sideload Chrome but not sure which .apk to choose as there are several.
Anyone can help? thanks!

Reason is I'm trying to watch full screen a show on a website that won't cast to Chromecast (the website is not built in a modern way)
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1174 posts
243 upvotes
Gatineau
Thanks. installing Chrome or Firefox worked.
Now my problem is, aside from Puffin TV Broswer which seemed to have a mouse toggle that I could use with the remote, I don't have the same with these browsers. I can't navigate or click where I want
Why is Google making this so ********? I'm quite disappointed it how unusable is that thing.
Any option to have a browser with a way to click exactly where I want without spending 10 minutes getting there?
THanks!
vancitydude wrote: Troy point has a guide on that. 14 minute mark
Nov 18, 2008
505 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
ToniCipriani wrote: I think the charger is key here. The stock charger will NOT work with the Ethernet equipped dongles. Have an adapter from my work Macbook, that didn't work until I plug the Macbook 87W or Ikea 40W PD charger to it.

However this one does not work no matter which charger I used: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0859TMPHT/

Returned mine and ordering this one, I've had good experience with this brand: https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Gigabit-Et ... 07W52R8KY/

This one might work out cheaper since the HDMI/VGA ports on the usual dongles are unnecessary.

Will report back whether it works.

EDIT: Don't order that one, this one doesn't have PD charging.
I'm a big time noob, what's the most affordable charger I can use to power up one of these hubs? I thought I had something suitable lying around but I thought wrong

Also can I use the stock cable with the stronger charger or do I also need another USB C cable?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19376 posts
5654 upvotes
These are available at Walmart now but you may have to ask for them. The store I was at, they were in the electronics lock up...
Nov 19, 2018
16 posts
1 upvote
peter330 wrote: I'm a big time noob, what's the most affordable charger I can use to power up one of these hubs? I thought I had something suitable lying around but I thought wrong

Also can I use the stock cable with the stronger charger or do I also need another USB C cable?
I am using AUKEY 18W USB Wall Charger I got from Amazon for $14.99 with original chromecast cable. ( https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-Com ... B00RJO6AHM)
It powers the chromecast, the usb-c hub running ethernet and USB memeory stick without any issues.
Nov 18, 2008
505 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
komi88 wrote: I am using AUKEY 18W USB Wall Charger I got from Amazon for $14.99 with original chromecast cable. ( https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-Com ... B00RJO6AHM)
It powers the chromecast, the usb-c hub running ethernet and USB memeory stick without any issues.
Thanks! I ended up getting this. 60w $19.99 Probably overkill but I didn't want to take any chances
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07F34196B/ref ... OFbBWG7RC6
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13623 posts
3748 upvotes
Scarberia
ck01 wrote: Thanks. installing Chrome or Firefox worked.
Now my problem is, aside from Puffin TV Broswer which seemed to have a mouse toggle that I could use with the remote, I don't have the same with these browsers. I can't navigate or click where I want
Why is Google making this so ********? I'm quite disappointed it how unusable is that thing.
Any option to have a browser with a way to click exactly where I want without spending 10 minutes getting there?
THanks!
get a cheap airmouse or use keyboard with trackpad BT, or use mousetoggle app with 4k firestick remote

then u'll need a usbC hub, another 40 lol and power adapter 20,it adds up to the cost of a shield almost!
Last edited by mikka2017 on Nov 3rd, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8450 posts
3621 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
peter330 wrote: I'm a big time noob, what's the most affordable charger I can use to power up one of these hubs? I thought I had something suitable lying around but I thought wrong

I'm currently using my HP TouchPad charger, with the factory A-C cable plus an old A-A extension to run the cable into the wall.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19376 posts
5654 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: get a cheap airmouse or use keyboard with trackpad BT, or use mousetoggle app with 4k firestick remote

then u'll need a usbC hub, another 40 lol and power adapter 20,it adds up to the cost of a shield almost!
Hub + power adapter is $60. I use a wired KB with mouse and a cheap dollarama adapter to input commands or I can use the $4 dollarama wireless KB. Shield is $260 + tax. I'm not seeing the cost anywhere near a Shield Pro or just the tube one at $200 + tax...
Apr 5, 2019
41 posts
7 upvotes
Any new coupon to buy this? I missed the deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2633 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone see any cyber monday deals for this?
Dec 15, 2005
316 posts
74 upvotes
moh786 wrote: Any new coupon to buy this? I missed the deal.
Lowes also has it with a $10 email signup coupon, free shipping.
Dec 15, 2005
316 posts
74 upvotes
mfmfmf wrote: Anyone has success running the Telus Optik TV app on this CC?
I tried downloading the Optik TV On the Go app and installing and it wouldn't work. If anyone else has had any success please share!