Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2015
236 posts
343 upvotes
Dundas, ON

staples clearance scam?

I was browsing through the clearance section and came across martian notifier smart watch; It's listed for $110 but with 25% clearance ($82.5). Googled the price for other vendors and I saw staple selling it for $89 on their own website. They raised the price by $20 and offered 25% discount.

also, does any canadian store price match with amazon.com? same watch is only 28 usd, but unfortunately they don't ship to canada
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18881 posts
6912 upvotes
Toronto
Staples usually doesn't update their pricing. So it was probably $110 6 months or a year ago and they haven't updated the price to reflect the drop to $89. Which watch is this? Buy it off Ebay or Aliexpress.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4169 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
I would say more often than not, the price on the clearance item is marked higher because they didn't update with the lowered new price.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2286 posts
1337 upvotes
Ottawa
hightech wrote: I bought some clearance items and when they scanned it it was actually $15 cheaper than the ticketed price and then got another 25% off. It works both ways :)
FYI, I bought Maxell kids' headphones for $1.50, not $5.97 as tagged, and a Crayola Minions crayon briefcase for $11.25, not $26.97 as tagged. The Bluetooth scales are accurately tagged.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
chenw25 wrote: I was browsing through the clearance section and came across martian notifier smart watch; It's listed for $110 but with 25% clearance ($82.5). Googled the price for other vendors and I saw staple selling it for $89 on their own website. They raised the price by $20 and offered 25% discount.

also, does any canadian store price match with amazon.com? same watch is only 28 usd, but unfortunately they don't ship to canada
If you had a store in Canada, would you price match a US retailer with their price? Have you looked at the exchange rate lately?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
755 upvotes
Vancouver
chenw25 wrote: I was browsing through the clearance section and came across martian notifier smart watch; It's listed for $110 but with 25% clearance ($82.5). Googled the price for other vendors and I saw staple selling it for $89 on their own website. They raised the price by $20 and offered 25% discount.

Do you have proof Staples was selling this at $89 but raised the price by $20 at the start of clearance?
[OP]
May 5, 2015
236 posts
343 upvotes
Dundas, ON
importpsycho wrote: Do you have proof Staples was selling this at $89 but raised the price by $20 at the start of clearance?
I don't know if it's always selling at $89, but the clearance price was set to $110 for quite a while now. But yah, as someome already mentioned, they probably didn't update the price tag.
[OP]
May 5, 2015
236 posts
343 upvotes
Dundas, ON
JKKim2983 wrote: If you had a store in Canada, would you price match a US retailer with their price? Have you looked at the exchange rate lately?
exchange shouldn't matter though? you'll be paying whatever that USD is worth. US just have better deals dispite the exchange rate. for example, the same watch I mentioned earlier (martian notifier) is marked at 35 USD on staples.com which is just $45 CAD ($89 on staples.ca)
Jan 7, 2012
265 posts
75 upvotes
6ix
chenw25 wrote: exchange shouldn't matter though? you'll be paying whatever that USD is worth. US just have better deals dispite the exchange rate. for example, the same watch I mentioned earlier (martian notifier) is marked at 35 USD on staples.com which is just $45 CAD ($89 on staples.ca)
No Canadian retailer will PM with amazon.com.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
872 upvotes
Ottawa
Just talk to the store manager and negotiate on price. If it's a clearance item, they want to get rid of it.