• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2021 5:08 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes

STAPLES & CUSTOMER SERVICE IN CANADA - HORRIBLE

I'm currently going through an ordeal with Staples. It concerns an expensive purchase and a subsequent
return. It is now day 31 with no sign of a credit return on my visa. I've called no less than 5 times, in the interim,
to resolve this issue, BUT all I get is stone-walling and a bunch of half-baked promises that YES the refund
is coming; just that I need to wait another "2-3 business days". Indeed, a senior csr rep acknowledged that there is a "glitch"
in their processing system. Checking the web it seems Staples has had this "glitch" since early 2019, and into last year.

Communicating with them has been nothing short of a nightmare, as a good many of them have terrible command
of the English language, YET some of them hold fairly senior positions.

???

Anyway, I called the dispute resolution dept at my bank to get on this credit return issue, but horrors of horrors, I've run
into the same communication gap issue with, yes, people in fairly senior positions who are supposed to be problem solvers.
but have at best, marginal command of not only the language but of the issue in question.

Moving along, I was finally assured that I would get a temporary credit return, within "2-3 business days" on my purchase while they'd be investigating.
(I supplied all the necessary documentation).

Well, that didn't happen either. And as of this writing, my fate seems to be in the hands of people who, I fear, won't be able to solve this problem for me.
Meanwhile, the charge is still on my visa with my statement coming up in just a few days and due date not far behind.

Dear people, has anyone gone through something similar? What steps would you recommend to resolution of this matter? I do know there are some highly knowledgeable people
here who've set me straight before.

Happy Holidays! (If possible)
73 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2342 posts
990 upvotes
was this an online purchase returned in store? I might be in the same boat
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
Yes, bought it online, but returned to my local Staples store.

Lots of promises but instead lots of lies from customer service.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3510 posts
2165 upvotes
Edmonton
Yea, some time ago, there was a thread about issues with Staples and an e-mail address to the head guy which got things moving. I had an issue and got it resolved quickly. Of course, this was years ago and may not even be the same head guy.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
What possible issues can they be? I buy. Return for credit. What can it possibly be that's holding Staples back from running a credit? It's insane in this day and age.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Customer service everywhere is becoming a joke. I am on the older side and vividly remember when people actually cared about the job they do and try every day to improve. Now its how much work can I avoid, how can I go online and dont get caught.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Bruiserweight66 wrote: What possible issues can they be? I buy. Return for credit. What can it possibly be that's holding Staples back from running a credit? It's insane in this day and age.
It should be very simple but for some reason they think when they get your money no matter what its there's.
Jan 18, 2007
243 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Now I know why they call it Stooples. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I am the liquor.
Jim Lahey, Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor
It's liquor day Randy.
Aug 11, 2014
421 posts
291 upvotes
I seem to have this issue now, too. In the past when I've returned online orders in-store to Staples, my credit would post within 3 to 5 business days.

This time, it has been more than that, so I fear I will end up in the same situation as OP...
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
Got it resolved through my bank.

Just document everything, send it to the bank - dispute resolution team - and they will
issue you a "misc credit", while they figure out where the hell this alleged "credit return"
took off to.

Warning though, you may encounter some incredibly stupid people in the chain of command.
Jun 19, 2015
789 posts
703 upvotes
HOLY SHEEEEIIIITE this is me!

Ordered an item online Nov 30 and returned Dec 4. No refund, CSR useless and no sign of a refund in sight despite being told multiple times that one was issued Dec 4. I'm quite worried I won't get my money back.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
Get the bank's dispute resolution team. Email purchase and return documentation to rep on that team. "Misc adjustment" (I said "misc credit" previously) should appear on your acct within 48hrs.

It is hard to fathom how "some" retailers can be so flippant with their customers.

If you need further help let me know.
Jun 19, 2015
789 posts
703 upvotes
Bruiserweight66 wrote: Get the bank's dispute resolution team. Email purchase and return documentation to rep on that team. "Misc adjustment" (I said "misc credit" previously) should appear on your acct within 48hrs.

It is hard to fathom how "some" retailers can be so flippant with their customers.

If you need further help let me know.
Yeah, I've got the receipt, tracking number to prove it was returned, and the email chain from the CSR stating the refund was given 3 weeks ago.

My wife actually had the same problem, but when she emailed 3 days ago, she got a manager that apologized and instantly refunded her order, and it showed up the next day. I've had her email this manager about my case so I'll give it a few days, but will be contacting my bank's dispute department if I don't hear anything in a week or so.

Thanks for posting this, I've been worried sick for a month but glad to know it's not just me.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1167 posts
691 upvotes
canada
Why aren’t you calling staples CS daily every morning as ur brush ur teeth. Also calling the store manager everyday.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1167 posts
691 upvotes
canada
Passively waiting for their resolutions to contact you or calling back for an update after each week isn’t the actions of someone who’s been wronged. Get aggressive.value ur $80 or whatever likes it $80,000.

Takes 10 minutes a day 5 minutes for the store phone call and 5 minutes to call headquarters for updates. Not kidding get aggressive.

Your issue would have been solved by day 10.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
You have to appreciate who you're dealing with @ CSR Staples. It ain't pretty.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
What I want to know is WHY. WHY should it get to this?

It's indeed an extremely vulnerable feeling to experience because you don't feel these people
will get it done for you. Meanwhile, your money is floating around somewhere in the ether...
Apr 24, 2015
50 posts
65 upvotes
Lancaster Park, AB
Looks like I'm in the same boat with you guys. In December I had to return 3 different orders, two in store and one Staples pickup, and I only got a refund for one item on one of the orders (why the hell not refund for all items on that order as everything was returned at the same time!).

For some of these 3 orders it's been two weeks already and no sign of the refund on my CC. Called Staples, used the online chat - promises, promises.... Now they have the unopened merchandise back (which they probably already re-sold) AND they are holding on to ~$500 of my dollars with no intent to refund in sight. Yeah, "thanks", Staples, that's a great "deal" I got from you this shopping season!

I'm also going through the same issue on a separate order, this time over an approved price match credit. Which supposedly was issued when the item shipped on December 18, but never reached my credit card. And again I'm getting "within 2-3 days" promises from the phone/chat CSR. Now I'm afraid to even return the order for refund if the price match credit fails to materialize - or I won't have the merchandise anymore and the refund would get stuck wherever the $500 they already owe me ended up.

Just awful! Absolutely unacceptable this day and age especially for the company of that size, and probably illegal. I will start bugging Staples both by phone and online chat every day if I don't have my money back by Jan 2nd. If that fails, I'll just go through my bank as people above suggested (thanks BTW!). I also think if I"m forced to go that route I'll stop buying anything at Staples for half a year no matter how attractive the deals look. There are plenty of other options. If Staples are so busy collecting our money that they no longer bother issuing refunds, I'm gonna make sure they get a bit more free time on their hands to take care of the latter.
Jun 19, 2015
789 posts
703 upvotes
After emailing the manager that sorted out my wife's refund issue, I now have a refund for my order. She never emailed back or said anything, but I do have my money so I'm happy enough.

Will be avoiding Staples online for any orders that I think *may* be returned in the future.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14926 posts
3317 upvotes
Toronto
I have a similar experience. I placed on online order for an item and ended up returning it instore. It has been over 1 week and I still have not seen a refund posted on my credit card. I called their support number and the person I spoke to told me the credit won't be applied till Jan 20 which is over 1 month after my purchase! On the return paperwork, it states that a credit will be applied to bank statement within 2-3 business days. I pointed this out to the support guy and he said that is very optimistic and it will take much much longer.

I opened a dispute with my credit card provider to get the charges reversed. Make sure you keep your paperwork or else you may be SOL.

As an aside, did they outsource their support to Manilla? It seems that the few times I call I get some Filipino.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless