Expired Hot Deals

Staples

Dexley Mesh Task Chair - $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2021 10:56 am
Jan 13, 2009
9 posts
I just picked up 2 for my gf and I for our new home office. When we tried it in store, we noticed that the Dexley is wider than the Hyken. The Hyken also recline a lot lower but since we don't really need to lie down in the office, we opted for the Dexley. It's only been a few days but my gf seems to be satisfied with the chair. Our Ikea table build is higher than we anticipated, and we are both only 5'6, so we are maxing out the height of the chair to have our elbows at 90°. Guess we'll see how durable the chair will be down the line.

My precious purchase was a gaming chair from staples where it was comfortable for the first 2 hours but would progressively get more pressure points the longer I sit in it. So far the reviews for the Hyken/Dexley seems to be quite positive for it being a sub 300$ chair. Hopefully it would fair much better
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1411 posts
3062 upvotes
Canada
stephroll wrote: not to threadcrap but one thing i learned years ago , invest in a good chair , specially if you spend 8 hours a day + in it . Used to buy $200 chairs that always failed after a year or so . in 10 years i probably spent more in chairs than i did buying a second hand Herman Miller that is now in it's 10th year .
Unfortunately because of the pandemic, second hand herman millers are nearly full price and barely depreciate in value unless they're very clearly beaten up. Second hand lightly used ones are still upwards in the 1k range, especially the secondary market by big cities in Canada.
Live a little
Oct 29, 2018
174 posts
143 upvotes
A lot of talk about other chairs which is good. You really do get what you paid for

but this looks similar (if not exact) to

This chair from 123ink.ca

I bought this on sale for $180 a month ago (it goes on sale pretty often) and it has served me well so far. Fairly comfortable and no need for me to shell out $400-500 for a 2nd hand chair during the pandemic.
Mar 29, 2017
80 posts
26 upvotes
Lol I just bought a brand new Steelcase Leap v2 this morning for $879. I got tired of waiting for the Hyken to go on sale, and it seems like a Steelcase chair will be a good investment anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1810 posts
4021 upvotes
Ark6ix wrote: Ikea Markus is the best for tall people
I have tried the Markus, Hyken, and HM Aeron for significant periods of time.

I really liked the Hyken but a lot of the parts are cheap plastic and can break easily. Overall comfort is 9/10. Unfortunately it broke for me after a couple years but Staples gave me a full refund.

I had tried a Markus before at a previous job where I used it for a year and thought it was super comfortable. So I replaced my Hyken with a Markus in early 2021. I think they may have changed something in the design or materials recently because it is nowhere near as comfortable anymore, I found myself often having to adjust my position because my back would hurt. Comfort is easily 5/10 now.

I moved on to a HM Aeron recently and it is super comfortable and the adjustments are great for ergonomics. Comfort is 9.5/10, not too different from a Hyken, really. It wins on adjustability for ergonomics and the build quality though. Would I say the Aeron is worth the significant markup from a Hyken? Not really. The Hyken is a great compromise for the price.

But if you're on a limited budget, highly recommend the Hyken. Would not ever touch a Markus again.

Side note: also tried the Dexley at a Staples store and thought it was super uncomfortable. The mesh does not cushion you anywhere near how the Hyken or Aeron do. I would avoid it, but that's just my 2 cents given that I used it for 5 minutes.
Jul 18, 2007
409 posts
48 upvotes
How's the Dexley for taller people? I heard the Hyken is no good if you're tall and I'm 6"3...
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1019 posts
288 upvotes
Leduc
I wish the dexley was just a bigger hyken but unfortunately it’s not. The main issue is that the back does not lock firmly into place like the hyken. So when trying to sit upright there is about 10° of play to the back of the chair. Not sure if this can be solved by modding the chair or not.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3439 posts
2919 upvotes
BC
stephroll wrote: not to threadcrap but one thing i learned years ago , invest in a good chair , specially if you spend 8 hours a day + in it . Used to buy $200 chairs that always failed after a year or so . in 10 years i probably spent more in chairs than i did buying a second hand Herman Miller that is now in it's 10th year .
And that is why I invested in a sit/ stand desk so I don't need to sit all day working.

I find changing position actually helps
Apr 20, 2021
12 posts
4 upvotes
comp_freak wrote: I will not by $200 staples. In past 6 years bought two and disappointed.
If anyone in GTA Source Furniture has excellent selection, I picked one up for ~300 and it comes with 5 years warranty.

They have nice big showroom and many selections -

https://www.source.ca/product-category/ ... ic-chairs/
I got the Hyken chair, very good lumbar support but the seat is too hard, can't sit in that chair for long hours. I will go check out the Source, hopefully I'll find a chair with good lumbar support and thick seat cushion. Thanks for sharing!
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2171 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Rismoor wrote: Please report back, I currently own a Hyken, am 6' 1" and have the headrest reverse mounted. This hyken is so amazing I want to by another one for my wife.
Curious to see if I should jump on this Dexley or keep waiting for a Hyken sale.
A bit too late now, but if you ever want to buy this in the future, here's what I found out.

The Hyken can recline much further back than the dexley. You can also lock the recline wherever you want it.

The Dexley, the recline only doesn't that far back. You can only lock the backrest at the upright position or the one recline position.

For me, I'd rather wait for a hyken sale.

The Dexley seat is also a bit bigger than the Hyken. Although, I don't need that much seat space. The hyken seat space is perfect for me, and still enough room if I wanted to cross my legs. Mind you, I'm 5"8 and pretty skinny.

If you're taller than 5"8, I wouldn't suggest the hyken at all cause of the low headrest. But you can always remove the headrest if you don't care about having one (I've also see some DUI make your own headrests for the hyken for taller people).
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2171 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
LadyDragon21 wrote: I got the Hyken chair, very good lumbar support but the seat is too hard, can't sit in that chair for long hours. I will go check out the Source, hopefully I'll find a chair with good lumbar support and thick seat cushion. Thanks for sharing!
That's why everyone pairs this with the hyken. It's on sale now too.

I'm using this cushion at the moment too on a crappy chair. It's pretty comfortable and makes the crappy chair a slightly bit more bearable.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/auto ... p.html#srp
Mar 6, 2012
745 posts
241 upvotes
microwave wrote: I wish the dexley was just a bigger hyken but unfortunately it’s not. The main issue is that the back does not lock firmly into place like the hyken. So when trying to sit upright there is about 10° of play to the back of the chair. Not sure if this can be solved by modding the chair or not.
I know this deal is now over but if you do have the chair hopefully this can help you. The back does lock firmly into place but only in the upright position. If you move the lever one way you can adjust the up/down on the chair. If you pull the lever (away from the chair to the right) you unlock the back, if you push it in (while in the upright position) it will lock it. There is no way to lock it in any position other than upright though.
Apr 20, 2021
12 posts
4 upvotes
MilkyWind wrote: That's why everyone pairs this with the hyken. It's on sale now too.

I'm using this cushion at the moment too on a crappy chair. It's pretty comfortable and makes the crappy chair a slightly bit more bearable.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/auto ... p.html#srp
Thanks for sharing the cushion info. Looks like getting a seat cushion is my only option for now since I can't find another chair with good lumbar support as the hyken chair. I was told the purple seat cushion is really good too but it's double the price comparing to the Canadian Tire one. Anyone else here has seat cushion, please kindly share your experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2171 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
LadyDragon21 wrote: Thanks for sharing the cushion info. Looks like getting a seat cushion is my only option for now since I can't find another chair with good lumbar support as the hyken chair. I was told the purple seat cushion is really good too but it's double the price comparing to the Canadian Tire one. Anyone else here has seat cushion, please kindly share your experience.
I have one of these purple seat cushions (or something that looks exactly like it. mine is rubber as well and the pattern looks exactly the same). I don't like it. After an hour, the cushion basically gets compressed so much, it doesn't feel like a cushion anymore.

If you do a search here on redflags on past hyken threads, people do recommend the canadiantire one to pair with the hyken.
Apr 20, 2021
12 posts
4 upvotes
MilkyWind wrote: I have one of these purple seat cushions (or something that looks exactly like it. mine is rubber as well and the pattern looks exactly the same). I don't like it. After an hour, the cushion basically gets compressed so much, it doesn't feel like a cushion anymore.

If you do a search here on redflags on past hyken threads, people do recommend the canadiantire one to pair with the hyken.
Thank you for so much sharing these info! They are very helpful! I am going to get the Canadian Tire one. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1019 posts
288 upvotes
Leduc
toy187 wrote: I know this deal is now over but if you do have the chair hopefully this can help you. The back does lock firmly into place but only in the upright position. If you move the lever one way you can adjust the up/down on the chair. If you pull the lever (away from the chair to the right) you unlock the back, if you push it in (while in the upright position) it will lock it. There is no way to lock it in any position other than upright though.
Oh i know you can lock it upright but even when locked the back has some give to it. The hyken on the other hand is firm when locked, the only movement is in the mesh itself.
Mar 6, 2012
745 posts
241 upvotes
microwave wrote: Oh i know you can lock it upright but even when locked the back has some give to it. The hyken on the other hand is firm when locked, the only movement is in the mesh itself.
Weird, must be something wrong with yours or the one you tried as mine doesn't really do that. At least not yet (I only received it on tuesday) or I don't notice it.
Apr 20, 2021
12 posts
4 upvotes
I'd avoid buying big items like chairs and office desks from PrimeCable.ca. Horrible customer service, also you have to pay for shipping for return items.