• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 9:15 pm
[OP]
Feb 18, 2007
94 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto

[Staples] DJI Phantom 3 for $299, $59 for battery at Staples

Found these at Staples in Gerrard Square, Toronto.

Dji Phantom 3 standard for $299
Original Battery for $59 is very cheap

Please see photos for info
Images
  • 20190510_113605.jpg
49 replies
Jul 7, 2008
930 posts
370 upvotes
Isnt that a stupid awesome price already? Gonna to check tmr, thanks OP
Oct 16, 2017
219 posts
946 upvotes
This is because of the new law + outdated.
I will wait :)
Last edited by GroundBus on May 16th, 2019 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 13, 2015
953 posts
802 upvotes
Alberta
Requiem4130 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 2:56 am
Any coupons or deals to stack on this anyone?!
There's a $10 off $75 or more purchase
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2194 posts
947 upvotes
GroundBus wrote:
May 16th, 2019 3:38 am
Ignorance at its best.
Nothing in the new law prevents you from flying P3. Also, there is nothing even remotely close with this quality in this price range. The P4 is already on clearance for $1000...

Now, the actual price should be 200; however , about a week ago I was told there is absolutely no stock in ON, with the exception of Timmins, so yeah...
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Nov 29, 2011
569 posts
592 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
GroundBus wrote:
May 16th, 2019 3:38 am
what's the new law?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28182 posts
1081 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
I remember staples cleared these out about a decade ago as well, for the same price.

PS3 for $300 is a great price.

The new law, Jun 1st, makes flying drones that are >250g prohibited, unless you get certified. Makes it like boating & fishing. You CANNOT do it, without certification. The only shitty thing is it's not just a 15q multiple choice on stupid simple concepts, but a fairly involved & specific test on things that an actual aircraft pilot needs to know. It's not impossible, but needs a bit of prep to pass.

If you're <250g you it is still the wild west.

The P3S is nearly a Kilo, so that wouldn't do anything specifically to impact the clearance.

At $300, it is still an in credible price.

If you're seriously looking at drones in the next level of tech (IE P4), I would wait till end of June then have a look at Kijiji. Although not immediate, I am sure by then drone owners will start dumping wares, resulting in a mass buyers market on Kijiji. Do NOT buy a used Drone now!!

FWIW. The P3S is an incredible piece of machinery & tech. Spectacular 1080p filming, pan/tilt, incredible stability, & ASSUMING, you calibrate your drone & set your home point before taking off, ensuring your Return-to-Home HEIGHT setting is over the treeline, you will NEVER crash or lose (ignorantly referred to as fly-away) your drone. Of course if you fly it INTO an object, then yes it doesn't have collision avoidance haha. However it does do a marvelous job of mitigating the risks of lower qual drones.

EDIT: Lastly, the most incredible integration that DJI has done with their drones is the gimbal. fancy word for 'video stability'. You can be in moderately turbulent winds & the footage will be rock stable. It is astounding to witness as you playback your first video on the tv. So imagine in wind-less flying days, how incredible it captures video.

Safe Droning folks!
Last edited by bubble.tea on May 16th, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PayTM - Redeemed $40
PC Plus Tally & now SDM Opt: $3380 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2194 posts
947 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
May 16th, 2019 7:55 am
I remember staples cleared these out about a decade ago as well, for the same price.

PS3 for $300 is a great price.

The new law, Jun 1st, makes flying drones that are >250g prohibited, unless you get certified. Makes it like boating & fishing. You CANNOT do it, without certification. The only shitty thing is it's not just a 15q multiple choice on stupid simple concepts, but a fairly involved & specific test on things that an actual aircraft pilot needs to know. It's not impossible, but needs a bit of prep to pass.

If you're <250g you it is still the wild west.

The P3S is nearly a Kilo, so that wouldn't do anything specifically to impact the clearance.

At $300, it is still an in credible price.

If you're seriously looking at drones in the next level of tech (IE P4), I would wait till end of June then have a look at Kijiji. Although not immediate, I am sure by then drone owners will start dumping wares, resulting in a mass buyers market on Kijiji. Do NOT buy a used Drone now!!

FWIW. The P3S is an incredible piece of machinery & tech. Spectacular 1080p filming, pan/tilt, incredible stability, & ASSUMING, you calibrate your drone & set your home point before taking off, ensuring your Return-to-Home HEIGHT setting is over the treeline, you will NEVER crash or lose (ignorantly referred to as fly-away) your drone. Of course if you fly it INTO an object, then yes it doesn't have collision avoidance haha. However it does do a marvelous job of mitigating the risks of lower qual drones.

Safe Droning folks!
Actually the new law eases some of the restrictions (like increased ceiling).

I passed the exam with 9x% - I got one wrong as I couldn’t understand what they were asking (very awkward wording). it’s very easy as it’s open book, so plenty of time to find the answers. Check YouTube, there is a guy who made a video with summary of what you need to know plus what books you need to have open for the rest of the questions. Most of the answers of the weird questions are in the Nav books - just search by keywords as they are hundreds of pages long.

What’s funny is that a friend started typing some of the questions in google, and the autocomplete has the rest rofl - I guess everyone is googling them :D. Which is ok as google is a big book.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Jan 5, 2013
88 posts
51 upvotes
TORONTO
This is a great find indeed!
For anyone interested, here is the new law: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... gally.html
A couple of things to keep in mind is that while $299 is a killer price, for Phantom is by today's standards fairly big and bulky. I recently bought a Spark and I am blown away how compact it is and that I can fit it in my photo backpack together with my other photography gear. I note that the Spark Launch including remote is going for $539 on Amazon right now. And while this is $240 more, I think it is money well spent.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Phantom 3 doesn't have the RPAS safety assurance to fly in controlled airspace. Anyone living in the GTA or other urban areas might therefore be fairly limited in use.
Just my two cents ...
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2194 posts
947 upvotes
ccwestcliff wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:08 am
This is a great find indeed!
For anyone interested, here is the new law: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... gally.html
A couple of things to keep in mind is that while $299 is a killer price, for Phantom is by today's standards fairly big and bulky. I recently bought a Spark and I am blown away how compact it is and that I can fit it in my photo backpack together with my other photography gear. I note that the Spark Launch including remote is going for $539 on Amazon right now. And while this is $240 more, I think it is money well spent.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Phantom 3 doesn't have the RPAS safety assurance to fly in controlled airspace. Anyone living in the GTA or other urban areas might therefore be fairly limited in use.
Just my two cents ...
Flying in controlled space requires special clearance, communication with ATC, etc. I doubt anyone with a $1000 drone would ever go down this route....
iamalittlepepper wrote:
tcjsqls wrote: