• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 9:15 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1505 posts
435 upvotes
lightmeup wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:01 am
any deal with staple is a fight of their stocking system...

I stopped buying from staple for any GOOD deal now, everytime a good deal turned out to be disappointed and hugh time wasted... I may live longer without these disappointments....
You might live longer not coming to RFD since alot of the deal here are YMMV lol.
Jul 21, 2011
496 posts
298 upvotes
Knowhere
xpressmerchant wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:12 am
You might live longer not coming to RFD since alot of the deal here are YMMV lol.
nah, just the staples one are very frustrating, others are fine even with YMMV....
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1466 posts
119 upvotes
djredhat wrote:
May 16th, 2019 7:44 am
Now, the actual price should be 200;
Why is the actual price should be 200?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2194 posts
947 upvotes
bigbug wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:50 am
Why is the actual price should be 200?
Sometimes the clearance tags don’t reflect the latest discounts - it’s worth asking the guys at the store to check the current clearance price.

I think it was down to $200 when I checked with them.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Jun 14, 2011
180 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
lightmeup wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:17 am
nah, just the staples one are very frustrating, others are fine even with YMMV....
Yeah, staples is pretty horrible. I tried to get in on the Bose QC-25 deal that was posted here years ago, and the store manager adamantly refused to honour the price even though it was in stock. Ironically, I picked up the headphones cheaper from Amazon on the next Prime day, but I still haven't spent a cent at staples since then.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1672 posts
192 upvotes
iddqd85 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:29 am
Except pleasure craft licence is a joke.
Won't argue with that.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Dec 16, 2015
98 posts
37 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
djredhat wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:03 am
Actually the new law eases some of the restrictions (like increased ceiling).

I passed the exam with 9x% - I got one wrong as I couldn’t understand what they were asking (very awkward wording). it’s very easy as it’s open book, so plenty of time to find the answers. Check YouTube, there is a guy who made a video with summary of what you need to know plus what books you need to have open for the rest of the questions. Most of the answers of the weird questions are in the Nav books - just search by keywords as they are hundreds of pages long.

What’s funny is that a friend started typing some of the questions in google, and the autocomplete has the rest rofl - I guess everyone is googling them :D. Which is ok as google is a big book.
How much did it cost for your exam? I'd like to get into drone videography, but im always hesitant due to all the new laws coming in. did you take the $10 test another poster spoke about in this thread?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2194 posts
947 upvotes
ayogtc wrote:
May 16th, 2019 1:48 pm
How much did it cost for your exam? I'd like to get into drone videography, but im always hesitant due to all the new laws coming in. did you take the $10 test another poster spoke about in this thread?
Yes, it’s $10. There are 2 types:

- basic (the most restrictive, more than 30m away from people)
- advanced (at least 5m away).

I did the basic. Approximately half of the questions are common sense and basic rules for drones (like drinking and flying etc). The other half has nothing to do with the matter, so have the AIM, SAR, etc open (see the YouTube video). They will test on turbulences, air movements, weather etc, so be prepared to google - not the full question because they messed up with the wording, but the key concept they are asking you about. In fact some of the questions are worded so weirdly that it almost makes no sense and you have to spend most of the time figuring out what they are asking.

You have plenty of time and with the help of the “books”, everyone should be able to pass (wife also got 90%, so yeah...)

BTW, there is nothing special in the new law, it’s almost the same as the old rules, but you need to pass the test and register your drone. Actually the rules are slightly relaxed.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3968 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
djredhat wrote:
May 16th, 2019 2:05 pm
Yes, it’s $10. There are 2 types:

- basic (the most restrictive, more than 30m away from people)
- advanced (at least 5m away).

BTW, there is nothing special in the new law, it’s almost the same as the old rules, but you need to pass the test and register your drone. Actually the rules are slightly relaxed.
Agreed. Nothing really changes, however, drone flying is still fairly restrictive. Bylaws and rules can be set outside of Transport Canada airspace regulation to limit where you can fly. For example, you can't fly in National Parks, many provincial parks, and even in some municipal parks if bylaws prohibit it (usually prohibit take-off/landing). Then you have to consider controlled airspace and airspace around airports and heliports. In short, if you're going by the rules, it's still pretty damn difficult to fly a drone and my problem is that a lot of people never followed the rules in the first place. People fly drones around downtown Vancouver and around Vancouver Harbour all the time which is incredibly dangerous because it's literally a float plane take-off/approach/landing area.

Drones are still viewed as toys- I mean you can literally buy on from a toy shop. This needs to change. There should be restrictions on how easy it is to just pick up a drone from a retailer. Too many people are buying these without having first educated themselves on the rules, or they're getting them as Christmas gifts.

The advanced certification removes a lot of restrictions- like being able to fly over people, close to people, and in controlled airspace. This is nice, but if you're flying as a hobby, who is going to bother with a flight review and communications with ATC? Also, I don't believe any DJI drones are certified to fly near or close to people, only in controlled airspace. Basically, if you're doing this kind of work professionally, you need to be getting a different drone if you want to be by the book.
Removed external link in signature.
Aug 15, 2016
36 posts
26 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
May 16th, 2019 7:55 am
I remember staples cleared these out about a decade ago as well, for the same price.

PS3 for $300 is a great price.

The new law, Jun 1st, makes flying drones that are >250g prohibited, unless you get certified. Makes it like boating & fishing. You CANNOT do it, without certification. The only shitty thing is it's not just a 15q multiple choice on stupid simple concepts, but a fairly involved & specific test on things that an actual aircraft pilot needs to know. It's not impossible, but needs a bit of prep to pass.

If you're <250g you it is still the wild west.

The P3S is nearly a Kilo, so that wouldn't do anything specifically to impact the clearance.

At $300, it is still an in credible price.

If you're seriously looking at drones in the next level of tech (IE P4), I would wait till end of June then have a look at Kijiji. Although not immediate, I am sure by then drone owners will start dumping wares, resulting in a mass buyers market on Kijiji. Do NOT buy a used Drone now!!

FWIW. The P3S is an incredible piece of machinery & tech. Spectacular 1080p filming, pan/tilt, incredible stability, & ASSUMING, you calibrate your drone & set your home point before taking off, ensuring your Return-to-Home HEIGHT setting is over the treeline, you will NEVER crash or lose (ignorantly referred to as fly-away) your drone. Of course if you fly it INTO an object, then yes it doesn't have collision avoidance haha. However it does do a marvelous job of mitigating the risks of lower qual drones.

EDIT: Lastly, the most incredible integration that DJI has done with their drones is the gimbal. fancy word for 'video stability'. You can be in moderately turbulent winds & the footage will be rock stable. It is astounding to witness as you playback your first video on the tv. So imagine in wind-less flying days, how incredible it captures video.

Safe Droning folks!
You need 65% to pass. I passed the test in 20 minutes without any prep. It is a very silly exam - questions like "which agency has the radio frequencies used by air space controllers?" are completely useless to anyone flying a drone, but whatever. You can just google the answers.

$15 bucks and 20 min later, my DJI Spark and I were both certified.
Apr 6, 2008
424 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
It was still $399 at Oakville Staples just FYI
Oct 31, 2014
355 posts
290 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Anybody happen to have the item number? They couldn't even find it on their system locally
Jun 18, 2016
175 posts
399 upvotes
Oracle1729 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:05 pm
Yeah, staples is pretty horrible. I tried to get in on the Bose QC-25 deal that was posted here years ago, and the store manager adamantly refused to honour the price even though it was in stock. Ironically, I picked up the headphones cheaper from Amazon on the next Prime day, but I still haven't spent a cent at staples since then.
How is that ironic at all?
Jun 14, 2011
180 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
MooseV2 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:54 pm
How is that ironic at all?
Because had I gotten my way, I would have paid more money to get the same item at Staples, and the been a happier Staples customer as a result. That manager ended up saving me money through no intent of his own, and yet I was still left hating Staples.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11888 posts
2322 upvotes
RFD
bubble.tea wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:48 am
because once you're licensed, you're a professional?

I guess everyone with a driver license is a safe & responsible driver right?
Was about to post the same thing when I read that post...lol