Expired Hot Deals

Staples

Epson FastFoto FF-680W Photo Scanner - $669.99 ($80 off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2022 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
23727 posts
188667 upvotes
GTA

[Staples] Epson FastFoto FF-680W Photo Scanner - $669.99 ($80 off)

Staples (as well as Best Buy and Amazon) have the Epson FastFoto FF-680W photo scanner on sale for $669.99. Pricey, but probably one of the fastest ways to scan hundreds (or thousands) of photos (can't imagine how long it would take canning them one by one using a flatbed)! You can signup for a $10 off $100 coupon to make it $659.99 (if you don't already have a different coupon code you can use - have seen $50 off $500 coupons posted in the Staples Megathread). Sale is on until Jan 27th.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2435428 ... to-scanner

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ep ... r/13699098

https://www.amazon.ca/Epson-FastFoto-FF ... B07DLX26BB

Vistek also has this for the same price:

https://www.vistek.ca/store/427933/epso ... to-scanner
Last edited by toguy on Jan 23rd, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2003
841 posts
281 upvotes
White Rock, BC
I literally have thousands of photos in a box i need to scan - has anyone used this before?

Steep price but I don't scan them because it takes so long via flatbed
Member
Oct 5, 2005
206 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
ranjy wrote: I literally have thousands of photos in a box i need to scan - has anyone used this before?

Steep price but I don't scan them because it takes so long via flatbed
I also found it a steep price. I have the FF-640 and after using it, I think this is a worthwhile investment. I thought that I would scan my photos just once and then never use it again but I find myself scanning documents all the time.
I have scanned photos for family members as well. Can scan a couple of thousand photos in a day (given that all photos are oriented all the same way and free of any sticky tape, bends etc)

I have had mine for a couple of years and think the $600+ is worth the money considering that a flatbed would not even come close to be able to scan all the photos. If you get a flatbed, you'll never scan the thousands of photos and it would be money spent without getting the job done because it is so tedious.

At worst, scan your photos and resell the unit at a discount. At least then you'll have the photos scanned and get some money back for the scanner.

BTW, this scans BOTH sides of photos in one pass so you also get any memories that were hand written on the back.
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 22, 2022
1 posts
I own the ff680w and I am currently in the process of going through our family photo albums.

The price is steep, but you won't even consider that once purchased. It rips through photos at such an impressive speed, offers a really crisp quality scan, and best of all the automatic colour correction is an absolute beast!

A very impressive unit; I can't recommend it enough. Goodluck!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2007
3277 posts
363 upvotes
GVR
ranjy wrote: I literally have thousands of photos in a box i need to scan - has anyone used this before?

Steep price but I don't scan them because it takes so long via flatbed
The best product out there for this exact purpose by a country mile. And once you’re done scanning your photos it makes for a beastly document/receipt scanner.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2003
841 posts
281 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Thanks @hollywood and @ahsalloum - looks like my local Staples store has 1 in-stock and figured may as well...ordered online and will pickup after lunch
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
1707 posts
1833 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
FYI for several pages of discussion on this scanner, see the previous sale discussion from early January:

best-buy-epson-fastfoto-680w-photo-scanner-669-2516498/

If you are looking to scan old photos, keep in mind the trade-offs between flatbeds and these scanners. This is clearly faster than a flatbed, and there are definite merits to that, especially if it inspires you to actually get the job done! However, you will have much better control over the scan with a flatbed scanner, plus devices like the Epson V600 will allow you to scan negatives and slides in addition to prints for half the price.

With respect to software, the Epson program does a good job but if you're looking to take it up a notch, Vuescan and Silverfast are excellent choices.
Last edited by tvisforme on Jan 23rd, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Oct 29, 2007
182 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
Had one of these from a recent best buy sale for the same price. Noticed it was scratching glossy photos (it was clean and did it on the first set of photos I put through it). I took it back and bought a flatbed. Photo quality on the flatbed is much better, but way slower.

Great easy to use scanner, just make sure it isn’t damaging your photos.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
23727 posts
188667 upvotes
GTA
SugarySnack wrote: Had one of these from a recent best buy sale for the same price. Noticed it was scratching glossy photos (it was clean and did it on the first set of photos I put through it). I took it back and bought a flatbed. Photo quality on the flatbed is much better, but way slower.

Great easy to use scanner, just make sure it isn’t damaging your photos.
This may or may not have applied in your case, but just a general note that you are supposed to clean any photos of dust, grit, adhesive residue, etc. before they go into the scanner. Otherwise, it's like taking a sponge to wipe down a car covered in sand - you're going to scratch it. A lot of people will want to just get it done as fast as possible and will skip this step. Not likely to be much of issue if the photos you are scanning have been preserved in old-school photo albums, but if you're grabbing the big box of loose photos from the attic or basement or what have you, something to keep in mind. You are also supposed to clean the rollers every 300 scans because dust will undoubtedly eventually settle there no matter what you do.
Jr. Member
Oct 29, 2007
182 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote: This may or may not have applied in your case, but just a general note that you are supposed to clean any photos of dust, grit, adhesive residue, etc. before they go into the scanner. Otherwise, it's like taking a sponge to wipe down a car covered in sand - you're going to scratch it. A lot of people will want to just get it done as fast as possible and will skip this step. Not likely to be much of issue if the photos you are scanning have been preserved in old-school photo albums, but if you're grabbing the big box of loose photos from the attic or basement or what have you, something to keep in mind. You are also supposed to clean the rollers every 300 scans because dust will undoubtedly eventually settle there no matter what you do.
I cleaned it at the end of each use (around 50 photos or so). Noticed it after doing ~150 photos and went back to the first set I did and saw the same line straight down the middle.

I saw multiple reviews on Amazon with the same issue even after replacement from Epson. Just something to watch out for. I’m sure not every scanner has this issue but I wasn’t willing to try again.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2003
841 posts
281 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Picked it up at lunch and just tried it out on first pile of 13 photos in my box of photos to scan - whole batch named and scanned in seconds
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
2351 posts
813 upvotes
Vancouver
ranjy wrote: Picked it up at lunch and just tried it out on first pile of 13 photos in my box of photos to scan - whole batch named and scanned in seconds
So you would recommend? Hows the quality?
You Have No Life If You Can Calculate It Mathematically
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2003
841 posts
281 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Stabilo7 wrote: So you would recommend? Hows the quality?
Yes I'm happy with it...could I get better quality by using scanning bed @ 1200DPI - yes. I did 75 photos earlier this afternoon in a couple minutes, which would've taken a couple of hours before
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2190 posts
2886 upvotes
Any recommendations for a scanner to scan documents?

Is this worth it for that type of job? Say if I needed to scan 10 documents double sided into PDF?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 23, 2007
1061 posts
1754 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
Thanks OP. I missed this the first time around and was able to snag one at the local Staples.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)