Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote $40 or $55 (4K)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 5:37 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2007
449 posts
541 upvotes

[Staples] Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote $40 or $55 (4K)

Time to get an Amazon Fire Stick $40 or $55 (4K)

Still available at AMAZON as of March 30

https://www.amazon.ca/Stick-All-New-Rem ... YIK6Y9EEQB
Last edited by driverso on Mar 30th, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
367 replies
Oct 7, 2017
433 posts
444 upvotes
Maybe your headline should be edited slightly as it looks like this is just for the remote. Perhaps a mod can put Voice Remote like “(with Voice Remote)” or “(with Alexa Remote)”. Regardless thanks OP.

Edit: I see Best Buy has the same sale.
Nov 7, 2003
751 posts
200 upvotes
I have 2 4K Fire Sticks, they are great devices for the money.... only thing you will need to deal with is side-loading and updating apps manually.

Better than any of the android boxes that I have had for sure!!
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!

Koodo $40 6GB plan
Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs

#ImCoolNow
Sep 19, 2017
367 posts
203 upvotes
Moncton
I've been using the HD firesticks as a replacement for Bell Fibe STBs. The app works great with the only downsides being the lack of numbers for channel entry (I set favorites for quick access to channel ranges in the guide) and the lack of control over live TV (no ability to pause/rewind/etc... ). Everything else including viewing/initiating the PVR functions and on-demand content works pretty much the same as the set-top-box interface.

Grabbing one of these (4K this time around) which will allow me to turn in another STB and save myself another $8 / month.

Last I checked these were $65 pretty much everywhere, and don't forget your "up to 3%" ebates. Thumbs up to the OP.
Last edited by sswilson on Mar 22nd, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Apr 16, 2011
459 posts
63 upvotes
Thanks OP. Not sure if I should get one or just upgrade my TV to a smart one.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5093 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
sswilson wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 7:45 am
I've been using the HD firesticks as a replacement for Bell Fibe STBs. The app works great with the only downsides being the lack of numbers for channel entry (I set favorites for quick access to channel ranges in the guide) and the lack of control over live TV (no ability to pause/rewind/etc... ). Everything else including viewing/initiating the PVR functions and on-demand content works pretty much the same as the set-top-box interface.

Grabbing one of these which will allow me to turn in another STB and save myself another $8 / month.

Last I checked these were $65 pretty much everywhere, and don't forget your "up to 3%" ebates. Thumbs up to the OP.
What resolution does the FibeTV app display in? 1080p? Thanks!
Sep 19, 2017
367 posts
203 upvotes
Moncton
The firestick claims 1080p, but 95% of bell's content is 720p.
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Jul 7, 2008
501 posts
200 upvotes
Thanks Op! Perfect timing, I have Bell installing today with Alt tv .
Jun 5, 2007
26 posts
2 upvotes
I usually see what’s trending to pick the most popular of the programs. If not go to guide and scroll through the menu.

If you have ever used the bell Fibe tv app it’s the same thing basically.
Sep 19, 2017
367 posts
203 upvotes
Moncton
nightwalker wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 8:12 am
How do you guys change the channel with this remote? It's so simplified that it doesn't have any numbers...
stoked84 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 8:47 am
I usually see what’s trending to pick the most popular of the programs. If not go to guide and scroll through the menu.

If you have ever used the bell Fibe tv app it’s the same thing basically.
Another trick is to set favorites at intervals along the channel spectrum. I only watch HD content so I start off with 400, have one around 420, one at the higher 400s, and then one at 572 to start at the premium content channels (If I was a sports guy I'd also have one at 600). That said.... the guide actually scrolls fairly quickly... it feels a lot quicker than the STB interface.
Oct 21, 2013
175 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
325i wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 6:57 am
I have 2 4K Fire Sticks, they are great devices for the money.... only thing you will need to deal with is side-loading and updating apps manually.

Better than any of the android boxes that I have had for sure!!
Cannot agree more, game changer for
Media in my home.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
4930 posts
2037 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Thanks OP. I hope Amazon matches the price as I want the non 4k version and don't want to pay for shipping with Staples.
Oct 24, 2008
892 posts
506 upvotes
Anyone know if you can use AnyPlace TV on this?
I have chromecasts but I've been getting frustrated with the lack of compatibility (like no amazon prime video app)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1906 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jronald wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 7:49 am
Thanks OP. Not sure if I should get one or just upgrade my TV to a smart one.

Go for the firestick, Smart TVs are just regular TVs with Netflix and YouTube and with a very slim chance the apps will be regularly updated if at all, more prone to failure then "dumb" TVs in my opinion.

When it comes to Smart TVs, think of the example of Modem/router combos, good idea, bad execution, you are always better off getting a standalone modem and a good quality router as the router that's built-in with the modem is usually sh!tty, same applies to TVs.

Get a quality "dumb" TV with no "Smarts" and the money you saved spend it on a quality streamer, like the Nvidia Shield or FireStick 4K (spend the extra $15, not for the 4k, but for the extra 1/2gb of RAM.)
Last edited by remik on Mar 22nd, 2019 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.