• Jul 12th, 2020 11:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1881 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa

[Staples] Google Home Wifi Router (1st gen) $129.97 in store

Staples has the 1st generation Google wifi router on clearance for $129.97. It says not available online or in store, but that's a lie, if you check stocktrack it is available in store and I purchased one today for $129.97; I had to fight for that price since it rang up at $159 for some reason?

I received a 2nd generation nest wifi point for my birthday, but apparently it's not compatible with the pre-first gen Asus/tp-link onhub routers so it's going back to Google and I'll be using this instead.

YMMV on stock availability.
Last edited by SAN66 on Jul 11th, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1296 posts
775 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
I paid this exact amount in 2017 at the Source. Granted i probably use a coupon and a sale to get it at this price. Its now part of my system as a secondary device. Useful because i can wire device with it.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1491 posts
329 upvotes
Is this kit just a single device?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1881 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
RougeJeff wrote: I paid this exact amount in 2017 at the Source. Granted i probably use a coupon and a sale to get it at this price. Its now part of my system as a secondary device. Useful because i can wire device with it.
It's Staples, you might be able to apply a coupon too.
Squeeky wrote: Is this kit just a single device?
Single device. If this were the kit of 3 it would be red red hot.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1491 posts
2741 upvotes
Markham
Google OnHub is still hands-down the best deal. Better than all these Google Home Wifi deals.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1881 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
Dave510 wrote: Google OnHub is still hands-down the best deal. Better than all these Google Home Wifi deals.
It sucks that the new wifi points aren't compatible with the onhub.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1214 posts
1195 upvotes
GTA
SAN66 wrote:
Single device. If this were the kit of 3 it would be red red hot.
Isn’t that like saying:

“Single car. If this were a fleet of 3 cars it would be red hot”.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1881 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
Slono wrote: Isn’t that like saying:

“Single car. If this were a fleet of 3 cars it would be red hot”.
Hell yeah 3 Cars for less than the price of one! If anyone ever does see the 3 pack for this price just buy all the stock and run.
Jan 16, 2020
8 posts
1 upvote
Debating on whether this will be better than my ASUS RT AC87U (Has AC2400 but our internet isn't fast enough). We have some connectivity issues upstairs, planning to just buy the one and if it's really bad I would drop another $129 for another. Home is about 1200 sq. ft, what do you guys think?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1881 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
sanapk wrote: Debating on whether this will be better than my ASUS RT AC87U (Has AC2400 but our internet isn't fast enough). We have some connectivity issues upstairs, planning to just buy the one and if it's really bad I would drop another $129 for another. Home is about 1200 sq. ft, what do you guys think?
Watch out though, these are being discontinued so they will become harder and harder to find.
May 18, 2010
77 posts
117 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: Google OnHub is still hands-down the best deal. Better than all these Google Home Wifi deals.
I'm curious, why do you say that? I've got one and love it, but what does it have over the newer Google and Nest wifi devices?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1491 posts
2741 upvotes
Markham
schnutze wrote: I'm curious, why do you say that? I've got one and love it, but what does it have over the newer Google and Nest wifi devices?
IIRC I compared the Google Wifi pucks and they were slightly inferior to the OnHub, while OnHubs also cost less, and they literally share the same software.

If you already own an OnHub, it's a even bigger no brainer to keep expanding with OnHubs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1881 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
adangca wrote: OOS
Despite what the website says it's available in store if you check stocktrack. YMMV on stock of course.
Dave510 wrote: IIRC I compared the Google Wifi pucks and they were slightly inferior to the OnHub, while OnHubs also cost less, and they literally share the same software.

If you already own an OnHub, it's a even bigger no brainer to keep expanding with OnHubs.
Unfortunately onhubs are discontinued and worse they're being force obsoleted by not being compatible with the newer Google nest wifi.

The onhub had better range with more antennas, I only needed the one as it provided better coverage until I started wfh more and need faster speeds on the top level of my house, hence this purchase.
Last edited by SAN66 on Jul 11th, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.