Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 All-in-One Wireless Duplex Colour Inkjet Printer - $79.65 ($64.65 with BB PM)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2017 2:16 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2002
388 posts
70 upvotes

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 All-in-One Wireless Duplex Colour Inkjet Printer - $79.65 ($64.65 with BB PM)

I was looking for a printer and this seems like a really good price. The reviews are decent on this printer.

I price matched it at bestbuy to get an additional 15 dollars off so I got it for $64.65.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hp- ... 19576.aspx

Some details on the printer:
Print speeds of up to 22 ppm (black) and 18 ppm (colour)
Two-sided printing and scanning
Load paper less with 250 sheet input tray
Easily print from a variety of smartphones and tablets
Easily manage print jobs and tasks with the 2.65" touchscreen
50 page auto document feeder
Last edited by chileung on Jan 11th, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1343 posts
207 upvotes
EDM Area
I had the 8610 and was a lemon for me, always had connection issues and then the powers supply in the printer blew up after mild use (mostly used for scanning and the occasional color print) after a year and a half.

Ink is about 26 per standard crtg but I think that costco has the XL 3 packs (CMY) and puts them on sale for 80 from 100 every now and then. The ink that comes with it are starter inks and if you have one color depleted it wont print anything (b&w or color) for you until it's replaced.
Nov 26, 2003
561 posts
168 upvotes
4got10 wrote: I had the 8610 and was a lemon for me, always had connection issues and then the powers supply in the printer blew up after mild use (mostly used for scanning and the occasional color print) after a year and a half.

Ink is about 26 per standard crtg but I think that costco has the XL 3 packs (CMY) and puts them on sale for 80 from 100 every now and then. The ink that comes with it are starter inks and if you have one color depleted it wont print anything (b&w or color) for you until it's replaced.
I have the 8610 it gave me the option to print in B&W when one of the colors was low. It does have the random can't scan to computer problem on both laptops thou over Wifi & Wired. The ink I got off amazon for $25.00 for 1 of each color & a black. I also got the 6 months free of hp Instant ink service 50 pages a month.
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
I ordered the 7740 this morning with 2 $10 off stacked I got it 173ish all in, but when I saw this one in store I am not sure about my choiceCrying Face
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
goubagouba wrote: Is this a new model? Can't seem to any 3rd party ink cartridges online and an't afford to spend 80-100$ for a set of ink.

Also, non-mobile links:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hp- ... 19576.aspx?
http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Officejet-P ... CA_1_20001
It use 952 and there are refills for trick is you have to have to sets of cartridges for swap, coz the printer will remember the last one you pull out, if you refill and put back the same one, you have to reset the printer,not sue if the warranty will be void
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3140 posts
1505 upvotes
Toronto
Don't price match. Use $25 off $75 coupons that Staples keeps mailing out.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2761 posts
836 upvotes
CarsonKT wrote: It use 952 and there are refills for trick is you have to have to sets of cartridges for swap, coz the printer will remember the last one you pull out, if you refill and put back the same one, you have to reset the printer,not sue if the warranty will be void
The fact that the printer a) USES colour ink even when only printing black and white and b) WILL NOT PRINT unless there is colour ink available makes this printer very impractical unless you print a lot of colour documents. The ink will dry out if it is idled too long, and costs a lot, and HP has anti-generic cartridge detection technology.

Other printer vendors make fine products that have much more reasonably priced ink: I got a brother refurb B&W laser printer with full Wifi / duplex printing support for $60 direct from Brother, and a full 2500 page toner cartridge from Staples was $50.

Buying an HP inkjet printer at ANY price is a rip off. Yes, even if the printer was FREE, you will do better buying a printer by a competitor.... well, unless you want to commit the environmental atrocity of using the printer till the ink runs out and throwing it away and buying a new one.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1781 posts
952 upvotes
Cambridge
Not sure about this printer, but the 860 had a firmware update that allows third-party ink to be installed.
Mar 18, 2003
184 posts
73 upvotes
Those who have commented about the hp 8610, I have 6 hp 8610 s in 6 homes in Calgary and refill my depleted ink catridges (hp 950/xl and hp951/xl) at Costco for about $12.99. Never had any problem with the refilled inks or machine rejecting it. Unfortunately, the 8710 ink is not listed for refilling. For Costco printer ink refilling check http://costcoinkjetrefill.ca/
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
nzoka wrote: Those who have commented about the hp 8610, I have 6 hp 8610 s in 6 homes in Calgary and refill my depleted ink catridges (hp 950/xl and hp951/xl) at Costco for about $12.99. Never had any problem with the refilled inks or machine rejecting it. Unfortunately, the 8710 ink is not listed for refilling. For Costco printer ink refilling check http://costcoinkjetrefill.ca/
never know Costco offers this kind of service,
but they seems only offer up to HP 951, no 952 ATM
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18206 posts
8064 upvotes
Oakville
beachlover wrote: Don't price match. Use $25 off $75 coupons that Staples keeps mailing out.
I haven't gotten one of those emailed to me in ages. The last coupon I got was $10 off $100.

Assuming I don't find a $25 off $75 coupon, anybody have any tips on how to PM an online BB order?

Edit: was looking up reviews of the 8710 (as I'm not generally a fan of HP printers) and found that PCMag recommended the Epson WF-3640 over the 8610, at least for photo and text printing quality. Hrmm, decisions decisions.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jul 18, 2004
393 posts
113 upvotes
anyone planing to buy inkjet printer consider few points.

If you don't print often then ink gets dry in print head and cleaning is sometimes nightmare... and if you have printer in low humidity room in winter than you will have to print more often.

IMO any Epson work force is best deal in long term because you can buy refillable empty cartridges with auto reset chip from eBay and fill them with original Epson ink from 664 bottles. works great!! i am doing this with Epson wf7620 that i bought from staples for 200$. You can buy refillable empty cartridges for other brands but ink is not original. Epson work force printers keep coming on sale at staples. If you print a lot then it gets better, you just install CIS system on any work force printer and keep filling it up with original Epson 664 bottle which is around $18!!

Epson printer exactly same as wf7620 with CIS is called WorkForce ET-16500 uses 664 and 774 eco tank ink and costs 1200$ !!!!

a set of four refillable empty cartridges on ebay is around 18$ - lasts forever
original Epson 664 is around 18$ yield around 4000 pages
original Epson 774 is around 27$ yield around 6000 pages
you can not get this cheap original ink printing from a laser toner or Costco or any original or generic or refill ink.

Last edited by Logic22 on Jan 11th, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tangerine 👍 Public Mobile 👍 Fido 👍
“Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.”
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18206 posts
8064 upvotes
Oakville
Yeah, so I ended up going with the WF-3640... Added a filler item and threw on a $20 off $100 coupon. Generic ink cartridges are $10 at 123inkcartridges.ca, that alone was enough of a selling point over the HP :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jun 5, 2013
96 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa
does the generic ink cartridge work same as original epson cartridge? I like the idea of filling the refillable cartridge with 664 bottles...