Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2019 10:01 pm
Jan 29, 2017
251 posts
125 upvotes
after calling 5 stores today, finally got a 8720 from a staples in north surrey today. previously a store in south surrey said they had two and would hold me one, then called back 5 mins later saying they actually had none.

the north surrey store showed two as well when i called them, but originally said they couldn't hold them as they were ina too high of demand. after saying i was driving there immediately and had an hour long drive, they agreed to hold one for me. except when i got there they didn't hold it. i ended up getting the last one which was sitting out on the floor.

trade in old printer was no hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5576 posts
2330 upvotes
tofubb wrote: Talked to Angela @ instant ink program today. 855-785-2777
Got some good and bad news.

We can join the free 15pages/month program, just need to call.
If you signed up instant ink program in first 7days after you register your printer, you will get two months free subscription.
However, your started ink will become part of instant ink program. Your instant ink program will start as soon as you enrolled.
And they will send you a replacement package in 2-3 weeks.

After you cancel your instant ink subscription, your started ink cartridges will back to as regular ink cartridges, you can still use them.
But all the replacement ink cartridges will be blocked. No matter they still have ink or not, you won’t able to use them. And you need to send them back, they pay for shipping fee.
So, you better purchase your own ink cartridges, before you cancel your subscription. She suggested you to cancel it online two days in advance.
Then you will need to purchase your own ink cartridges.
Because I asked questions, so she give me another month for free.
Thanks for calling.

So you're saying the printer starter cartridges count towards the 'free limit per month'. And whatever cartridges they mail to you will cease to work and they want you to mail it back to them at their cost.

This would mean if you used up the total free allowance per month it would imply using all the ink in your starter cartridge as well their mailed to you cartridges, So to keep your starter cartridges after the freebie is over you have to stay well below their started free limit and use only their physical cartridges sent to you.

And the printer after cancellation of the monthly ink service reverts back to buy your own cartridge, is that correct?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5576 posts
2330 upvotes
stagefright wrote: after calling 5 stores today, finally got a 8720 from a staples in north surrey today. previously a store in south surrey said they had two and would hold me one, then called back 5 mins later saying they actually had none.

the north surrey store showed two as well when i called them, but originally said they couldn't hold them as they were ina too high of demand. after saying i was driving there immediately and had an hour long drive, they agreed to hold one for me. except when i got there they didn't hold it. i ended up getting the last one which was sitting out on the floor.

trade in old printer was no hassle.
The employees are employing dirty tricks so that they can get one for themselves. The "0+" thing we saw today actually meant they had physical stock but wasn't willing to say so online. Anyone who went to the store or called the store would have gotten a printer.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
458 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
deals46 wrote: Thanks for the info but I'm still a bit unsure of the options.

Sounds like the 15 page free plan can be had by calling in - should that be done before or after setting up the printer?
After or when your two months free subscription is closed to expiry.

Can the free plan continue for a longer time - not sure what is meant about the one or two months free?
Two months free plan is the one that allow you print up to 300pages.

So the printer cartridges stop working if you cancel the free plan? Yer, the replacement cartridges that sent from HP

I already setup an ENVY 4520 with the free plan and it's been going fine so far. It would be okay with me if the 8710 can also be setup with the 15 page free plan option as I do not intend to print much...

Guess I'll call the number - thanks!
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
458 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: Thanks for calling.

So you're saying the printer starter cartridges count towards the 'free limit per month'. Yes
And whatever cartridges they mail to you will cease to work and they want you to mail it back to them at their cost. Yes, after you cancel the subscription

This would mean if you used up the total free allowance per month it would imply using all the ink in your starter cartridge as well their mailed to you cartridges, So to keep your starter cartridges after the freebie is over you have to stay well below their started free limit and use only their physical cartridges sent to you. After the two months free subscription, you need to behave to save money.

And the printer after cancellation of the monthly ink service reverts back to buy your own cartridge, is that correct? Yes
Mar 28, 2011
690 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
tofubb wrote: Talked to Angela @ instant ink program today. 855-785-2777
Got some good and bad news.

If you signed up for instant ink program in first 7days after you registered your printer, you will get two months free subscription.
you can print up to 300pages in these two months.
However, your started ink will become part of instant ink program. Your instant ink program will start as soon as you enrolled.
And they will send you a replacement package in 2-3 weeks.

After these two months. You will switch to the plan that you choose, which included the free 15pages/month program, just need to call.

After you cancel your instant ink subscription, you can still your started ink cartridges.
But all the replacement ink cartridges will be blocked. No matter they still have ink or not, you won’t able to use them. And you need to send them back, they pay for shipping fee.
So, you better purchase your own ink cartridges, before you cancel your subscription. She suggested you to cancel it online two days in advance.
Then you will on your own cartridges.
Because I asked questions, so she gave me another month for free.
They said you can go on free 15 page/month plan on the 8700 series?

It doesn’t show online but you say they can make it happen over the phone?

If so I would just get them to give the free plan right away on the 8720 I got vs the free 2 months at 300pg since I actually don’t print much but needed an adf scanner and flatbed that took 11x14
Oct 27, 2017
436 posts
317 upvotes
Based on my call to Instant Ink, free plan isn’t available on the 8710 in Canada. I called in advising I had an OfficeJet Pro series and wanted to see if they could do anything to offer the free 15 page plan. The agent said he could make arrangements to add that plan. But once it was confirmed I was in Canada, he couldn’t add the free plan. So just asked him to activate the free 2 month trial. He then offered another 2 free months since he couldn’t provide the free plan. And he said it would be fine to install the new Instant Ink cartridges once I receive them and store the starter ones.

edit - checked account online, he actually only gave me a single additional month. Meh, I'm still fine with that.
Last edited by eelw11 on Apr 13th, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5576 posts
2330 upvotes
sounds like a no-brainer to take the free ink for 2 months, and store the starter cartridges for after 2 month free ink
Oct 27, 2017
436 posts
317 upvotes
Forgot to mention this earlier. But the support agent gave the capacity of my current starter cartridges. Based on my printer usage, 12 prints - 1 test print, 3 B&W copies, 6 text printouts and 2 11x8.5 photos. Black at 79%, 3 colour cartridges between 39-41%. But looking at the remaining ink gauge, black just slightly below 100%, colours around 90%. So definitely inaccurate the ink levels what we can see vs what HP has access to.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
458 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
BoredAtWork wrote: They said you can go on free 15 page/month plan on the 8700 series?

It doesn’t show online but you say they can make it happen over the phone?
According to the agent, yes for both
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
458 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
eelw11 wrote: Based on my call to Instant Ink, free plan isn’t available on the 8710 in Canada. I called in advising I had an OfficeJet Pro series and wanted to see if they could do anything to offer the free 15 page plan. The agent said he could make arrangements to add that plan. But once it was confirmed I was in Canada, he couldn’t add the free plan. So just asked him to activate the free 2 month trial. He then offered another 2 free months since he couldn’t provide the free plan. And he said it would be fine to install the new Instant Ink cartridges once I receive them and store the starter ones.

edit - checked account online, he actually only gave me a single additional month. Meh, I'm still fine with that.
Strange, I already registered online, she can see my printer and usage information.
She knew I am in Canada, she even quoted me the additional pages is $1.25 for 10pages.
She suggested me to change my package when my free subscription is close to expire.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
458 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: sounds like a no-brainer to take the free ink for 2 months, and store the starter cartridges for after 2 month free ink
Not sure can we do that. Please find out when you call.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5576 posts
2330 upvotes
eelw11 wrote: Forgot to mention this earlier. But the support agent gave the capacity of my current starter cartridges. Based on my printer usage, 12 prints - 1 test print, 3 B&W copies, 6 text printouts and 2 11x8.5 photos. Black at 79%, 3 colour cartridges between 39-41%. But looking at the remaining ink gauge, black just slightly below 100%, colours around 90%. So definitely inaccurate the ink levels what we can see vs what HP has access to.
I still haven't figured out if they are limiting our cartridges solely based on how many prints we do, and if there is still ink in there then too bad it wont allow us to print at all. If that is true then there is no point in printing in draft, and none of the 3rd party ink saving programs will matter as it is based on the count and not the density of the page filled.
Sep 21, 2010
228 posts
50 upvotes
badOne wrote: I still haven't figured out if they are limiting our cartridges solely based on how many prints we do, and if there is still ink in there then too bad it wont allow us to print at all. If that is true then there is no point in printing in draft, and none of the 3rd party ink saving programs will matter as it is based on the count and not the density of the page filled.
correct, they actually tell you there is no point in printing in draft.

be careful though, after you use a fresh set of cartridges, you CANNOT use your starter cartridges any more.

So there is no free lunch here, you will not benefit from trying to empty your starters.
Aug 29, 2009
76 posts
36 upvotes
tofubb wrote: Strange, I already registered online, she can see my printer and usage information.
She knew I am in Canada, she even quoted me the additional pages is $1.25 for 10pages.
She suggested me to change my package when my free subscription is close to expire.
Thank you OP again for the info about the Free Ink Program. Just wanted to provided additional context if that helps the others...
I called the # provided above and connected with a HP Rep, who was located in US, indicated to me initially that 8710 was also eligible for Canada users. So we started the sign up process on the phone with the printer and my computer online. Due to my printer issues, the conversation took exactly 60 mins which included most of the time updating the firmware/Web Services Module etc but the Rep was very patient with me. Long story short, mid way through the sign up process, he realized the Free Plan doesn't show up on my Canada page of the website. He instructed me to finish the sign up process with the 50 pages/month paid plan regardless but then he applied a code at his end to switch me back to the 15 pages / month FREE plan forever with no expiry. I provided the credit card information in the sign up process on the webpage but he assured me that as long as I keep my usage within 15 pages /month, I won't be charged for anything. A new set of cartridges will be arrived at my door in about 10 business days by then the FREE Plan will be become effective. To avoid messing up with my existing starter Cartridges (which are not part of the FREE Plan), he recommended me to replace completely with the new set of cartridges when it arrives and save my starter kit somewhere. Meanwhile, while I can still use my starter kit which is good for like 700 pages without any limit. I'll need to put the starter kit in a vacuum bag for long term storage afterwards for future use in case I need to print more than 15 pages in a month once in a blue moon. My main usage of this printer is the duplex scanner.
Hope this helps.
Images
  • 2019-04-13_165259.jpg
Last edited by SagaA on Apr 13th, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.