Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 12:49 pm
Aug 29, 2009
80 posts
37 upvotes
badOne wrote: I still haven't figured out if they are limiting our cartridges solely based on how many prints we do, and if there is still ink in there then too bad it wont allow us to print at all. If that is true then there is no point in printing in draft, and none of the 3rd party ink saving programs will matter as it is based on the count and not the density of the page filled.
According to the HP Rep, the FREE Plan will not limit how many you print. Instead, you will start being charged $1.25 for every 10 pages you go over the first 15 free pages. The ink cartridges they send you are good for over 1000 pages. So there may be a good chance that the ink may get dried out before you finish the set of cartridges. In that case, the Rep said you can simply call HP to issue any free set of ink cartridges under the plan.
Oct 27, 2017
635 posts
505 upvotes
SagaA wrote: Long story short, mid way through the sign up process, he realized the Free Plan doesn't show up on my Canada page of the website. He instructed me to finish the sign up process with the 50 pages/month paid plan regardless but then he applied a code at his end to switch me back to the 15 pages / month FREE plan forever with no expiry.
Okay, guess the agent I talked to this morning wasn't aware he would have to override it after choosing a paid plan. Called back in and changed to free plan. So after the trial period, already set up for free plan and no need to worry to change in July. This deal just gets better and better.
Jan 2, 2013
158 posts
153 upvotes
Leaf nation
badOne wrote: Omydeal wrote:
---Kinda weird, If they are replacing the chips it wouldn't matter if they are starter cartridges or not. The starter cartridges can take the the same capacity as a standard cartridge. If they aren't replacing the chips then the printer will throw an error because they are "setups---"

probably related to some weird legality only lawyers would understand.

So I drove over to my local Costco and they said no problem filling the starters as they do replace the chips so it wouldn't matter.

I'm not a fan at all of these printers with the pigmented inks but bought two that I will use as donations for whatever charity auction should pop up. Pretty simple to fill these cartridges at home just make sure you buy decent quality pigmented inks or you'll foul the print-head almost immediately.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9054 posts
53870 upvotes
Ontario
SagaA wrote: Thank you OP again for the info about the Free Ink Program. Just wanted to provided additional context if that helps the others...
I called the # provided above and connected with a HP Rep, who was located in US, indicated to me initially that 8710 was also eligible for Canada users. So we started the sign up process on the phone with the printer and my computer online. Due to my printer issues, the conversation took exactly 60 mins which included most of the time updating the firmware/Web Services Module etc but the Rep was very patient with me. Long story short, mid way through the sign up process, he realized the Free Plan doesn't show up on my Canada page of the website. He instructed me to finish the sign up process with the 50 pages/month paid plan regardless but then he applied a code at his end to switch me back to the 15 pages / month FREE plan forever with no expiry. I provided the credit card information in the sign up process on the webpage but he assured me that as long as I keep my usage within 15 pages /month, I won't be charged for anything. A new set of cartridges will be arrived at my door in about 10 business days by then the FREE Plan will be become effective. To avoid messing up with my existing starter Cartridges (which are not part of the FREE Plan), he recommended me to replace completely with the new set of cartridges when it arrives and save my starter kit somewhere. Meanwhile, while I can still use my starter kit which is good for like 700 pages without any limit. I'll need to put the starter kit in a vacuum bag for long term storage afterwards for future use in case I need to print more than 15 pages in a month once in a blue moon. My main usage of this printer is the duplex scanner.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info.
Why don’t you use up the starter kit before you sign up for the free plan ?

Once you signed up on the free plan, you cannot use the starter kit?
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Aug 29, 2009
80 posts
37 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: Thank you for the info.
Why don’t you use up the starter kit before you sign up for the free plan ?

Once you signed up on the free plan, you cannot use the starter kit?
As stated, my understanding from the conversation with HP is that the starter kit is not part of the FREE Plan and can be used anytime (on my printer or any other compatible printer). The restriction is on the new cartridges under the FREE Plan is, in addition to 15 pages only per month, the chips on them are registered to my printer only and cannot be used on other printer even the cartridges are physically compatible. So it'd be better to save the starter kit for future use in case I need to print > 15 pages any time in a month or some of my friends need the inkWinking Face. The key is to find a way to preserve the starter kit and keep the cartridges fresh so I'm think putting them in a vacuum sealed bag and stored in a cool place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9054 posts
53870 upvotes
Ontario
SagaA wrote: As stated, my understanding from the conversation with HP is that the starter kit is not part of the FREE Plan and can be used anytime (on my printer or any other compatible printer). The restriction is on the new cartridges under the FREE Plan is, in addition to 15 pages only per month, the chips on them are registered to my printer only and cannot be used on other printer even the cartridges are physically compatible. So it'd be better to save the starter kit for future use in case I need to print > 15 pages any time in a month or some of my friends need the inkWinking Face. The key is to find a way to preserve the starter kit and keep the cartridges fresh so I'm think putting them in a vacuum sealed bag and stored in a cool place.

Thank you. I was planning to use the starter kit.usually dry out within 1.5 years. Then register the free ink.

Maybe I should do it you way instead.
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1894 posts
338 upvotes
SagaA wrote: Thank you OP again for the info about the Free Ink Program. Just wanted to provided additional context if that helps the others...
I called the # provided above and connected with a HP Rep, who was located in US, indicated to me initially that 8710 was also eligible for Canada users. So we started the sign up process on the phone with the printer and my computer online. Due to my printer issues, the conversation took exactly 60 mins which included most of the time updating the firmware/Web Services Module etc but the Rep was very patient with me. Long story short, mid way through the sign up process, he realized the Free Plan doesn't show up on my Canada page of the website. He instructed me to finish the sign up process with the 50 pages/month paid plan regardless but then he applied a code at his end to switch me back to the 15 pages / month FREE plan forever with no expiry. I provided the credit card information in the sign up process on the webpage but he assured me that as long as I keep my usage within 15 pages /month, I won't be charged for anything. A new set of cartridges will be arrived at my door in about 10 business days by then the FREE Plan will be become effective. To avoid messing up with my existing starter Cartridges (which are not part of the FREE Plan), he recommended me to replace completely with the new set of cartridges when it arrives and save my starter kit somewhere. Meanwhile, while I can still use my starter kit which is good for like 700 pages without any limit. I'll need to put the starter kit in a vacuum bag for long term storage afterwards for future use in case I need to print more than 15 pages in a month once in a blue moon. My main usage of this printer is the duplex scanner.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. BTW, what is the number you called?
Apr 12, 2013
6 posts
1 upvote
I didn’t have an old printer. So I bought a used printer from Value Village.
085DFD0F-6CD5-4D18-8C44-CC541F75B4C0.jpeg

Then used that old printer to use for the discount.
923CCCA3-15E1-4B3E-ACBF-D4C27C951C94.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3263 posts
3445 upvotes
resuenophi wrote: I didn’t have an old printer. So I bought a used printer from Value Village.

085DFD0F-6CD5-4D18-8C44-CC541F75B4C0.jpeg

Then used that old printer to use for the discount.

923CCCA3-15E1-4B3E-ACBF-D4C27C951C94.jpeg
Nice. I called a printer repair shop and asked them for a broken printer for 5$. Got one from them.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6629 posts
2896 upvotes
gnewylliw wrote: correct, they actually tell you there is no point in printing in draft.

be careful though, after you use a fresh set of cartridges, you CANNOT use your starter cartridges any more.

So there is no free lunch here, you will not benefit from trying to empty your starters.
the other guys said that you can use yoru starter cartridge after you exit the ink plan, by not using them when you have the mailed cartridges to use instead. Could you clarify what you meant pls
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
613 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
I'll need to put the starter kit in a vacuum bag for long term storage afterwards for future use in case I need to print more than 15 pages in a month once in a blue moon. My main usage of this printer is the duplex scanner.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

What is the expiry date for your started kit? Will they dry out around the expiry date even we don’t use it?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
4830 posts
3183 upvotes
Vancouver
Once you're on Instant Ink, you're on Instant Ink. You cannot pop out the Instant Ink cartridges and put in your own and print for 'free'. The pages will still count. The only way to get your printer off Instant Ink is to cancel your plan and de-register your printer from the program.

Ron.
Aug 29, 2009
80 posts
37 upvotes
simplylgg wrote: Thanks. BTW, what is the number you called?
Got this # 855-785-2777 from OP Post 690.
Aug 29, 2009
80 posts
37 upvotes
[/quote]
What is the expiry date for your started kit? Will they dry out around the expiry date even we don’t use it?
[/quote]

Interesting... Didn't think of expiry date. Where can I find the info? I only see a date of 2020-09 labelled on the cartridges but this is for "Warranty Ends:" instead.