Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2019 9:44 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
FritzToch wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:25 am
I was responding to your instructions to verify that the function wasn't present. If they are not accurate, please don't share them.
What I said is accurate. What im saying is that it is in direct conflict with what is stated about the Feb 2019 firmware. Give me proof that you are running the Feb 2019 firmware with a screen shot. I doubt very much what you said.
Apr 11, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
For everyone concerned about firmware blocking non-HP cartridges, here's a paste of the HP support page for the most recent (Feb 20, 2019) firmware details:
Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016 dynamic security will not be enabled by this firmware. Please note that HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges.
I would ask folks to share information that can be verified instead of hearsay.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
FritzToch wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:33 am
For everyone concerned about firmware blocking non-HP cartridges, here's a paste of the HP support page for the most recent (Feb 20, 2019) firmware details:

I would ask folks to share information that can be verified instead of hearsay.
Do you know how to read?

what does "Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016 dynamic security will not be enabled by this firmware" mean to you.

And what does this mean to you?
"Description:
This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Enhancement/Fixes for more detail about the firmware update.

Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at: www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies."

From description: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/se ... es/7902014

I am still waiting for a screen shot from you.
Apr 11, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:37 am
I doubt very much what you said.
badOne wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:37 am
Do you know how to read?
You can't support what you are saying with actual information, and you are being rude when I asked you to be clearer. It's a pity that you need to attack me rather than explain yourself. I'm not going to respond to you any more.

BBL installing 3rd party ink...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
FritzToch wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:40 am
You can't support what you are saying with actual information, and you are being rude when I asked you to be clearer. It's a pity that you need to attack me rather than explain yourself. I'm not going to respond to you any more.

BBL installing 3rd party ink...
Ok have fun with that. The DRM enabled will allow 3rd party ink, then stop allowing it after a while - you can research this on your own. BTW your quote previously contradicted exactly what you were saying. Im frustrated you have no understanding of what you're even quoting, or saying.

Still no screenshot. So now we have only your word you have the "latest" firmware. No versions mentioned. Just "latest".
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
ok Instant Ink rep said this on the phone:

1) Thru a code they can give you 3 month trial, and it works for Canadians. Just ask them for it. You can choose any of the plans during the trial incl. 300 pages one. However, once you choose an option you CANNOT go to the Free 15 page option plan afterwards. You can cancel, or go to 50 pages, or the higher plans. You have 1 week from printer registration to obtain the free trial, although it sounds like since it comes with an Instant Ink starter kit, they have discretion at giving it to you anyways.

If you never register then you got lots of time to decide.

2) By enrolling in Instant Ink you are required to allow updates to printer, that includes updating to latest DRM firmware. So according to their own webpage, the latest firmware 1848A has DRM preventing 3rd party ink. This could be a showstopper for you if you had no intention of staying with instant ink and wanted to use 3rd party non-HP ink.

3) If you are using Instant Ink starter cartridges, within days of the end of the monthly cycle of instant ink cancellation, your starter cartridges will revert back to you and wont be disabled. I didn't ask if you can use only their mailed-out cartridges, and put your own starter cartridges aside for day if you wish to cancel.

BTW, in printer's EWS, you can under settings>preferences, DISABLE Anonymous Usage Information Storage and that will prevent the number of pages printed from being stored in the embedded chip of your cartridges. From what i've been reading, while your printer driver program will still track the usage, once it gets down to where it thinks you're empty (due to number of pages you printed and not page ink coverage) you can just press OK on the display panel and keep printing until you physically run out of ink. Also implied so far is this printer doesn't care if you printed a full page of total black, or printed a single 1 pixel dot on the page - the printer will say how many ink is left based on the pages printed and not the content/ink coverage per page
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1892 posts
2068 upvotes
Guys, so we can reg for instant ink after a year or so? like after we are done with the starter ink?

Also, isn't the ink refill around 80$ and will give you like 1000 pages, why bother with instant ink and the headache that comes with it?
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Oct 27, 2017
67 posts
16 upvotes
The store on Red Maple in Richmond Hill is showing that 0+ available. Since the Markham Road location was showing that yesterday and fellow RFDers confirmed they had stock, may be worth checking out for people who are still looking.
Jun 9, 2006
418 posts
44 upvotes
what if I move to the US, can I switch to the free instant ink program?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1892 posts
2068 upvotes
PCalvin wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:13 pm
what if I move to the US, can I switch to the free instant ink program?
Isn't it an overkill to move your whole life to another country sacrifice your current friends and family also lose your health benefits just to get the free ink ? :P

But yet again, free is free.
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Jun 9, 2006
418 posts
44 upvotes
PriceHunter wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:20 pm
Isn't it an overkill to move your whole life to another country sacrifice your current friends and family also lose your health benefits just to get the free ink ? :P

But yet again, free is free.
You didn't get my meaning. What if I am moving to the US anyway...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1892 posts
2068 upvotes
PCalvin wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:22 pm
You didn't get my meaning. What if I am moving to the US anyway...
And I was just kidding if u didn't notice the smiley face. Anyways, this triggers an idea, what if you have a VPN showing you are in the states during registeration and use a friend's address for the monthly cartridges ?

Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
I wasn't aware the Free month option only existed for Americans, since the whole Instant Ink program is available for Canadians.

Since the cartridge is locked onto your printer's ID, as in serial number, unless your buddy has your printer or a brand new HP printer compatible with Instant Ink (then why would he need you??) otherwise im not sure what you want to do with this idea.
Feb 6, 2007
166 posts
23 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:18 am
ok Instant Ink rep said this on the phone:

1) Thru a code they can give you 3 month trial, and it works for Canadians. Just ask them for it. You can choose any of the plans during the trial incl. 300 pages one. However, once you choose an option you CANNOT go to the Free 15 page option plan afterwards. You can cancel, or go to 50 pages, or the higher plans. You have 1 week from printer registration to obtain the free trial, although it sounds like since it comes with an Instant Ink starter kit, they have discretion at giving it to you anyways.
They told me that after my free 2 months of instant ink included ends, I can downgrade my 700 page plan to the free plan.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
85matt wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:01 pm
They told me that after my free 2 months of instant ink included ends, I can downgrade my 700 page plan to the free plan.
it's the exact opposite of what I was told. Im fairly sure I read on one of their webpages Free plan isn't available after you choose one of the other plans. It really doesn't matter to me in the end, because I will never allow them to upgrade me to their DRM firmware because the plan ultimately is to use 3rd party ink.