Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2019 10:01 pm
Mar 7, 2011
3 posts
1 upvote
I've taken the demo 8720, broken, took the 8710 demo instead, broken too !!!
Don't touch those demo, they are definitely not display unit, nor refurbished, they are plain broken...
May 14, 2005
447 posts
146 upvotes
Ontario
ghost974 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 8:37 am
Don't touch those demo, they are definitely not display unit, nor refurbished, they are plain broken...
I just bought the demo unit yesterday morning from waterdown location. They had the 8710 but it was all beat up and looked used (Rep admitted they printed from it and inks are used) the 8720 however was in new condition and I liked the bigger screen so I bought it, they gave me and additional 15% off as well after I spoke with the manager. Manager confirmed 30 days instore and 1 year manufacturer warranty and so far its working great. I'm using the starter cartridges which they gave me were brand new. I may switch to the 15 days free plan after.
Jul 12, 2018
211 posts
193 upvotes
Can't believe my luck .picked up last 8720 from Bolton. Didn't even had old printer with me as I was just checking stock .luckily the guy found one sealed box and gave it to me with 60 $ off for old printer .he took my word that I will drop off old printer .
I took 1 year extended warranty .

Very happy with the purchase and will drop my old printer soon .
Nov 9, 2010
686 posts
792 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
ghost974 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 8:37 am
I got demo models as well, first the 8720 then the 8710, and had issues with both. This Staples only had one set of starter cartridges, already installed on the 8710. The 8720 was unable to connect to HP Instant Ink, including almost 2 hours with remote support trying to get it to work. I returned that and picked up the 8710,

The 8710 connected to Instant Ink no problem, but the starter cartridges were dried out. I got the new Instant Ink cartridges but the printer head was clogged from the dried ink. A few sessions of manual cleaning (dab with ammonia-based window cleaner) and automated print head cleaning, and the colours are coming in clearly now. Black is tougher to unclog, but I'm making progress.

All this to say, if you're able to get a new model, DO IT! If not, and if you're up for putting in some manual labour to get it up and running, a demo model may or may not be worth it.
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: djwalsh3000
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2339 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto
vanclty wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 1:21 am
Does anyone's printer keep running all day irregularly?

It keeps making noise and its annoying. Like cleaning the catridges or whatever its doing. The screen will be off but it will be doing its thing.

I have updated the printer
Mine only comes on by itself when it's doing an OTA update
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5165 posts
2143 upvotes
djwalsh3000 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 11:11 am
I got demo models as well, first the 8720 then the 8710, and had issues with both. This Staples only had one set of starter cartridges, already installed on the 8710. The 8720 was unable to connect to HP Instant Ink, including almost 2 hours with remote support trying to get it to work. I returned that and picked up the 8710,

The 8710 connected to Instant Ink no problem, but the starter cartridges were dried out. I got the new Instant Ink cartridges but the printer head was clogged from the dried ink. A few sessions of manual cleaning (dab with ammonia-based window cleaner) and automated print head cleaning, and the colours are coming in clearly now. Black is tougher to unclog, but I'm making progress.

All this to say, if you're able to get a new model, DO IT! If not, and if you're up for putting in some manual labour to get it up and running, a demo model may or may not be worth it.
All that trouble wasn't worth it at all. I wonder how much damage the ammonia cleaner is doing to the longevity of the printer head. I would have just returned it.
Jan 18, 2011
97 posts
152 upvotes
montreal
djwalsh3000 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 11:11 am

i got the 8720 demo and had no issues with it. The initial cardtridges were still intact with the sticker on. Yes the printer seemed like it was on display for quite a while (few scuffs, dirty, etc) but for the price it was worth it. I am guessing you were just unlucky the store didnt handle the demos well..
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3023 posts
499 upvotes
Water loo
badOne wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:53 pm
would you say this printer sucks at photos? Just curious. This is just a fun $12 toy for me, with my bw laser being the workhorse im not even sure if i'll pay another $100 for cartridges when I do minimal color printing
I've done photos. It does it well, but you have to buy special photo grade paper and it uses a ton of ink.
Oct 27, 2017
320 posts
214 upvotes
I'm surprised that they even installed the cartridges for the display units. Shoppers still looking for sample printouts when looking for a printer?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1337 posts
208 upvotes
Any other all-in-ones are a good deal currently?
8720-8710 are impossible to find.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
385 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:39 am
100% the agent Yvonne i spoke to said once I start the trial I cannot go to the free plan. I recorded everything and I asked her twice about this.

I wont upload the recording because I did give personal info in the recording. You guys should call back and record what your agent says that way force them to give you the free month plan after the trial if they say differently.

Everyone seems to get getting different information for the calls, in regards to the free plan, and whether your starter kit can be reused after 3 month trial. I don't know if the agents are giving different answers or not.
Just off the line with another HP agent. He confirmed that I can switch back to free 15pages/month after the trial period. He suggested me to call back couple days before my trial period end.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
385 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
Lexi wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 6:35 pm
Any other all-in-ones are a good deal currently?
8720-8710 are impossible to find.
Officejet Pro 6978 was on sale for $50 at Costco. Not sure does Costco still have stock or not.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
385 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
FritzToch wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:23 am
Regarding Instant Ink:
I am not an authority at all, but this is the info copy-pasted from my Instant Ink page, straight from HP.
I purchased the printer (8720), installed the included cartridges, then signed up for Instant Ink ("$3.99 plan for 50 pages a month")

As I read this, I can print as many pages as I like until the installed cartridges run out, and/or I install the "shipped ink" from the Instant Ink program.

I can assure you I have printed more than 0 pages on the printer so far.
By chance, if you still have the box, can you check is “Instant Ink Ready” sign on your box?
Apr 11, 2017
23 posts
4 upvotes
tofubb wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 7:36 pm
By chance, if you still have the box, can you check is “Instant Ink Ready” sign on your box?
Yes, it does. I don't have a way of posting images here but yes, it says instant ink on the box, in the packaged documentation, on the included cartridges, everywhere. They really want you to use II.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5165 posts
2143 upvotes
tofubb wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 6:56 pm
Just off the line with another HP agent. He confirmed that I can switch back to free 15pages/month after the trial period. He suggested me to call back couple days before my trial period end.
Thank you for the confirmation. No thanks to the agent I talked to.