Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2019 10:01 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
17020 posts
4720 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: lol.

" sorry we have to cancel your item because it's OOS"

EVERYTIME haha
That's not what they told me. Said that they were going to have more shipped in to the store and gave me a date. We'll see though...
Dec 20, 2014
337 posts
91 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Thanks for the post OP!

For those ordering online for the pick up - don't forget the Ebates for a few pennies more to save.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1255 posts
569 upvotes
Guelph
Temporel wrote: I'm sure they don't give a damn about the power cable. :)
You wouldn't think, and I confirmed they don't, but I've seen trade in programs like this before and I got burned. Said it can be broken but needed the accessories with it. I kid you not.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1255 posts
569 upvotes
Guelph
geogolem wrote: The other good thing about 8720 which really made it a must for me over 8710 is the output page tray.

The 8710 is like my previous printer, the older 8600 and has an output tray that sticks out and needs to be pulled out or pages would end up on the ground.

The 8720 isn't like that.. though it is slightly larger.
I agree that's a great feature. However, it's over 4" deeper, that's more than slightly lol imo anyway. I saw them side by side last night and the size difference was pretty crazy, that's what sold me on the 8710. If you have the room for it, or need the extra features in sure it's well worth it. My dad got one and loves it.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4811 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
1. If you don't print a lot, why do you need the instant ink program, since the starter cartridge prints 800 pages? Like why pay for the instant ink 15 pages/month program (which is nothing) since 800/15 is..... a lot? I mean yeah it's going to dry up but still..

2. If you order online, how long until ready to pick up? Since the program is ending like april 4, need to bring that old printer in before the 4th

3. Anyone confirm that i can print black even if colour is depleted? Can i even just install black ONLY and print, or do colour cartridges have to be installed?

4. Let's say all ink is depleted, or i remove the cartridges even, can i still scan? Feels like a stupid question but with these printing companies you never know what dumb limitations they impose.
Nov 28, 2011
908 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote: 1. If you don't print a lot, why do you need the instant ink program, since the starter cartridge prints 800 pages? Like why pay for the instant ink 15 pages/month program (which is nothing) since 800/15 is..... a lot? I mean yeah it's going to dry up but still..
The most basic paid HP Instant Ink plan allows you to print 50 pages/month. You are also able to roll over any unused pages into the next month. I believe with the new plan update, you can roll over up to 2x the amount of pages allowed in your plan (in the case of the 50-page plan, you are able to rollover 100 pages into any given month if you don't use up all your allotment).

Instant Ink isn't for everyone, but it is a great way to save on the cost of traditional ink cartridges while still receiving the same quality you'd expect by sticking to genuine ink. If you don't foresee printing 50 pages/month, then I'd advise to just stick with the cartridges in the printer + buy new cartridges or sign up for Instant Ink after the in-box cartridges get depleted.
fightbriz wrote: 2. If you order online, how long until ready to pick up? Since the program is ending like april 4, need to bring that old printer in before the 4th
No experience in this one, but traditionally, pick-ups are usually good for day-of, or next day.
fightbriz wrote: 3. Anyone confirm that i can print black even if colour is depleted? Can i even just install black ONLY and print, or do colour cartridges have to be installed?
I'm not sure on this either. Traditionally, you weren't able to print in black only if you ran out of colour inks. This limitation was put in place because attempting to print with no ink in a cartridge could damage expensive print heads. Also, sometimes colour mixtures are blended to make black (I think, maybe this is a myth....).

I would assume that this is still not possible and that all cartridges need to have some ink to print, even in just black.
fightbriz wrote: 4. Let's say all ink is depleted, or i remove the cartridges even, can i still scan? Feels like a stupid question but with these printing companies you never know what dumb limitations they impose.
You can still scan without issue! This, I can confirm.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1914 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
We personally have never subscribed to the HP "instant ink program".

I seem to find it much more cost effective to just use 123ink. We print far too much (unfortunately but paper is still used quite a bit in schools etc.)

I assume the vast majority of people may get away with 50 to 100 pages a month and it may be a good program for them. There are likely also many people who print too little to justify the monthly subscription (but apparently there is a free tier or something)
Last edited by geogolem on Mar 29th, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1914 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
dericchan1 wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/HP-Cartridge-Offi ... way&sr=8-3

Amazon is selling the XL cartridge for 39.99.
Another point to note on the debate between the HP 8710 vs. HP 8720.

The HP 8720 also supports black HP 956 XL cartridges , while the 8710 only supports 952XL.

I personally have never bough the HP 956XL yet, as I usually buy the combopacks from 123ink which come with 952XL (black, cyan, magenta and yellow)...

I think the 956XL is just an even bigger version of the 952xl (and 952) but since I have never specifically needed a black cart on its own, i havent really looked into the pricing of the 956xl vs. 952 xl.

EDIT: from the Staples website it looks like the main differences between the black carts compatible with the 8720 is:

952 yields, 1000 pages,
952xl yields, 2000 pages,
956xl yields, 3000 pages,
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
471 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Sleepyzz wrote: Is the ADF auto double sided scan?
Yes you can do double sided scan though ADF
Apr 23, 2014
613 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do I have to pick up printer in store in order to get $60 difference off? Or can it be mailed to me then just go to store with receipt and old printer to get the difference?

Spoke to staples online store they said must be bought within store.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
471 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
I think the instant ink program is good for ppl who print a lot of photos, since the program is counted by pages.
If you print doc. more often, maybe just get the ink from 123 or Costco.
Costco is selling 2packs 952xl for $100 and full set color for $115. Usually $20 off when it goes on sale.
Just found Costco has ink refrill service, $19.99 for 952xl black or color. Anyone try that before?
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
471 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
vanclty wrote: Do I have to pick up printer in store in order to get $60 difference off? Or can it be mailed to me then just go to store with receipt and old printer to get the difference?

Spoke to staples online store they said must be bought within store.
Someone said yes in earlier post,but I think you better call the store, it is not mentioned on flyer, so more like the manager’s discretion.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6741 posts
5583 upvotes
North York
geogolem wrote: We personally have never subscribed to the HP "instant ink program".

I seem to find it much more cost effective to just use 123ink. We print far too much (unfortunately but paper is still used quite a bit in schools etc.)

I assume the vast majority of people may get away with 50 to 100 pages a month and it may be a good program for them. There are likely also many people who print too little to justify the monthly subscription (but apparently there is a free tier or something)
My thinking was like yours.
But for my old HP 8620, I bought "COMPATIBLE" cartridges from 123ink, and the colours were awfully off. Went back and forth with them a few times, changed to a slightly more expensive set, colours were still off. Especially yellow and pink.