Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Huawei MateBook X Pro (13.9", i5-8250U, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB LPDDR3): 1199.99 - 10% off

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 7:51 pm
Feb 20, 2006
149 posts
70 upvotes
I am very skeptical with the quality and reliability of Huawei's laptop. I will stick with Lenovo thinkpad which has been really really reliable for me over the years. I still have the W520 and it is still rock solid.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3057 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
hchai wrote: I am very skeptical with the quality and reliability of Huawei's laptop. I will stick with Lenovo thinkpad which has been really really reliable for me over the years. I still have the W520 and it is still rock solid.
They are just not comparable. They are good for quite different purposes.

Weight, size, and battery life are the main differentiators.

ThinkPad reliability is legendary. But mostly for the full-sized ones. And it has been going down hill slowly (since before your W520).

Your W520 takes too much power for many uses: it probably has a lot of fan noise, it doesn't last a long time on its battery, even "sleep mode" uses a lot of battery power. And it's hot on your lap.

Your W520 can be easily upgraded in several areas (UltraBooks generally cannot): RAM (up to 32G, I think), disk (you can add an mSATA drive without evicting the HDD!), second HDD (evicting DVD drive), wireless card (maybe). You might have a FullHD display, but it probably is fairly crappy (they were on my ThinkPad Ts). Anything that can be upgraded on the W520 can be replaced easily (not true of UltraBooks).
Jun 20, 2017
24 posts
20 upvotes
hchai wrote: I am very skeptical with the quality and reliability of Huawei's laptop. I will stick with Lenovo thinkpad which has been really really reliable for me over the years. I still have the W520 and it is still rock solid.
I bought this laptop last year (June 2018) when it was first released. The best laptop I've ever owned in terms of build quality, form, and function. A full year+ of regular use and lots of travelling with this has proved its quality. The screen is second to none. The pixel density and aspect ratio are perfect for productivity. I use many high end laptops routinely at work/home and the display on this unit is top notch. Highly recommend this without reservation. I am indifferent about the Huawei brand, but they've produced a nearly perfect laptop here on objective metrics. Battery life is a solid 8 hours even after a year of use, though I typically use it plugged in at work on my multi monitor setup as a radiologist.

I got it from the Microsoft store last year when it was first released for about the same price as what it's on sale for now at Staples.
Jul 9, 2003
327 posts
110 upvotes
I bought the i7 16GB x Pro.

It is literally the best laptop I've ever owned. I've tons of laptops over the years:
Compaq: Armada
Dell E6410,6420,6430
Lenovo: X220, T420, X240, T440s, E470
Gigabite: P51 (i7 4710hq, 16gb ram, gtx 880 8GB) - for sale btw.
MS Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB 256gb SSD - for sale btw.

ETC.

This device is the best designed laptop I've ever used. The keyboard is perfect. The screen is incredible, USB C, full thunderbolt, USB A, more useful than my MS Surface and beautiful looking.
cons: It gets hot. Huawei brand is damaged due to US government's accusations. Sketchy brand means if you tell clients your using a Huawei device, they may tell you it's not allowed on their network.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5433 posts
1841 upvotes
djm0 wrote: I bought the i7 16GB x Pro.

It is literally the best laptop I've ever owned. I've tons of laptops over the years:
Compaq: Armada
Dell E6410,6420,6430
Lenovo: X220, T420, X240, T440s, E470
Gigabite: P51 (i7 4710hq, 16gb ram, gtx 880 8GB) - for sale btw.
MS Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB 256gb SSD - for sale btw.

ETC.

This device is the best designed laptop I've ever used. The keyboard is perfect. The screen is incredible, USB C, full thunderbolt, USB A, more useful than my MS Surface and beautiful looking.
cons: It gets hot. Huawei brand is damaged due to US government's accusations. Sketchy brand means if you tell clients your using a Huawei device, they may tell you it's not allowed on their network.
The keyboard is not worse than the t440s?

So you can't use networks in the us with this machine?
Jul 9, 2003
327 posts
110 upvotes
It's the best mobile keyboard I've ever had. I personally liked the x220 keyboard the most prior to this machine.

I mean they are outright banned from the US. I have a client that doesn't want it on their Network. Perception is a powerful thing. The US has yet to completely ban them just new devices and this was released late last year.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1622 posts
1052 upvotes
Calgary
Link doesn’t work? Deal dead?
Nov 15, 2016
301 posts
181 upvotes
slim520rr wrote: Buy a ThinkPad
Not even a fair comparison, your comparing full fledged laptops against a Ultrabook?...

The only comparison is the X1 Carbon vs Matebook and given the thermals, display, and keyboard, Matebook wins in all respects. Lenovo's Ultrabook line is not the greatest imho
Mar 7, 2011
110 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I'm seeing mixed reviews on RFD and online. Some swear by it, others are traumatized by it. It is an expensive product and while I did get my hands on my own, I'm worried about getting a dud. Anyone have any experience on their support and with the product in general?