Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Hyken™ Technical Mesh Task Chair, Black, 50% off ($142.41)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2017 4:45 am
Oct 4, 2013
25 posts
61 upvotes

[Staples] Hyken™ Technical Mesh Task Chair, Black, 50% off ($142.41)

Decent price for a fairly popular budget office chair. You can sign up for Staples' newsletter to get a code for $10 off $100

Last edited by MachinaMaw on May 15th, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
73 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Good price for this chair - not many chairs have a neck rest. They were pretending it was worth 274.99$ for a while, while it frequently came on sale for 179$.

Can anyone comment on the 5 year warranty though? After a couple years the mesh does get less rigid , I'm wondering if I should bother complaining.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Apr 19, 2012
840 posts
254 upvotes
TORONTO
Can you adjust the height of the head rest?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5680 posts
3098 upvotes
Vancouver
i heard the head rest is not good for taller folks
😃
Jan 2, 2017
415 posts
586 upvotes
I've seen some mixed reviews about this chair (mostly from Reddit. Just search "hyken" and you'll find the discussions too). The biggest cons seem to be that the arm rests are hard and if you're taller than about 5'2" the headrest will dig into your shoulders.

General consensus is that if you're a shorter person you'll find the chair more comfortable, and that it's a decent chair for the price point.
Jan 7, 2017
270 posts
289 upvotes
Hamilton
patroniton wrote: I've seen some mixed reviews about this chair (mostly from Reddit. Just search "hyken" and you'll find the discussions too). The biggest cons seem to be that the arm rests are hard and if you're taller than about 5'2" the headrest will dig into your shoulders.

General consensus is that if you're a shorter person you'll find the chair more comfortable, and that it's a decent chair for the price point.

It's so easy to get engrossed in office furniture reviews. Reddit has me convinced that if I don't alternate between a $800 office chair and a standing desk I'll develop kyphosis and die of a blood clot.
Freedom Mobile - Promo Everywhere 50 : 8 GB LTE + 1 GB Roaming USA/CAN
Nov 27, 2015
22 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frozenmelon wrote: If we're taller than 5'2 then how's this chair with no neck rest for cheaper?

http://www.staples.ca/en/Office-Star-Me ... CA_1_20001
I bought this one last year and it more comfortable than the Hyken, imo. I'm liking it so far, although one of the armrest is starting to crack. I can take it off, so I'm wondering if Staples sell armrest replacements.

I hate the seat and the useless headrest on the Hyken, which I returned.
Mar 26, 2007
19 posts
9 upvotes
I have had the office star mesh for 3 years and it's still holding up fine. Its comfortable but I did find my way into this thread because I have always wanted a head rest. What is the general consensus about the cheap Ikea Markus chair. I find initial sit down always feels great on any chair but extended sitting always changes my mind.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Have had this chair for about a year with lots of daily use (working from home a lot). Pretty happy with it for the price. No noticeable sagging of the mesh. I'm about 5'8" and the headrest fits me fine at it's lowest setting (maybe people don't know it's adjustable?). Still have about an inch between the bottom of the headrest and my shoulders, but even if I grew an inch, you'll need to sit straight up for my shoulders to touch the headrest, and I don't sit like that.

If I had to do it over again, at this price, I wouldn't hesitate to get this chair. At normal price, I might take another look at the IKEA Markus.
Aug 7, 2015
188 posts
123 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I think you mean if you're taller than 6'2 the neckrest digs into your shoulders? I'm 5'7 and for me it's a headrest, not a neckrest and definitely no digging into my shoulders. The mesh noticeably loosened in the first few months so yes it's a bit less comfy than when I first got it 2 years ago but it's still a pretty good chair for the price and no plans to replace it anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1650 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
or how about IKEA Markus? I heard many good things about that chair. Few reviews pick it as the best under $200.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1514 posts
1401 upvotes
Digital Gulag
Got the ikea Markus. Absolutely impressed me so much I wonder sometimes if I could bring it to work.

Had several naps on the Markus before. Definitely recommend
Jul 4, 2007
554 posts
562 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
Thanks OP

Ordered it along with some toilet paper to bring the total over $150 and applied my $15 coupon (targetted code from email). Also got 3% CB from Ebates.
Aug 24, 2005
793 posts
417 upvotes
Etobicoke
had 25 off $75 coupon and applied it to purchase one of these chairs. Pretty sweet coupon they mailed me.

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1503 posts
581 upvotes
I just bought one earlier. How much assembly is required?
Mar 5, 2016
29 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How do you get those? Do you just subscribe to their email list?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
exyzee wrote: How do you get those? Do you just subscribe to their email list?
no i think u have to request them to send u by mail, canadapost
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2769 posts
1331 upvotes
qwerty0123 wrote: Found a way to mod the headrest heightHere.
Oh that's genius. I have the hyken and I'm short and even I find the angle of the head rest weird. I will try this.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)