• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 1:27 pm
Jul 23, 2011
308 posts
603 upvotes
Ottawa
x-batman wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 11:27 pm
If anyone wants a gold iPad mini 4 128gb at cost ($339 taxes in) PM me. Receipt included. Having buyers remorse. Otherwise being returned on Friday.
Natureguy wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 11:42 pm
If anyone wants a gold iPad mini 4 128gb at cost ($339 taxes in) PM me. Receipt included. Having buyers remorse. Otherwise being returned on Friday.

PM'ed ...
Location??
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2400 posts
247 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 12:58 pm
On this generation a lot of people claim they have a faint white spot develop on the display after about a year of use. There is a large thread about it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/br ... n.2115037/
Happened to my 10.5 pro just outside warranty. Probably battery expansion and thin design pushing the LCD from behind :/
Jan 1, 2019
63 posts
38 upvotes
Asoul wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 12:52 am
Yeah, the warranty starts when the iPad is activated. You can reset the warranty timer when you buy a returned iPad as long as you can prove that you bought it open boxed.
Regarding warranty...

Amazon has a renewed version that is essentially pre-owned --- returned, assuming. It comes with a 90-day supplier-backed warranty. Is this the same warranty that Apple offers? If not, can I reset the warranty so that it is?
Jul 23, 2009
714 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
sasamac wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 8:09 pm
Regarding warranty...

Amazon has a renewed version that is essentially pre-owned --- returned, assuming. It comes with a 90-day supplier-backed warranty. Is this the same warranty that Apple offers? If not, can I reset the warranty so that it is?
I think Apple usually offers 1-year warranty, vs. 90 days for the refurbished amazon iPad. I think to get more warranty than 90 days you will have to pay for it (I know Apple offers Applecare but I doubt they would offer it for a 2017 iPad).
Jan 1, 2019
63 posts
38 upvotes
savercanuck91 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 8:43 pm
I think Apple usually offers 1-year warranty, vs. 90 days for the refurbished amazon iPad. I think to get more warranty than 90 days you will have to pay for it (I know Apple offers Applecare but I doubt they would offer it for a 2017 iPad).
I see. Someone earlier had mentioned that they purchased a returned/open box iPad Pro and was able to reset the warranty by giving a phone call to AppleCare.

I thought with this, it would be the same case.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1754 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
sasamac wrote:
Regarding warranty...

No, it isn’t. Apple’s refurbished products are basically new. They replace all necessary parts and offer the same warranty as their new products. Moreover, Amazon Canada is not, as far as I know, an authorized Apple dealer. I would be very surprised if you could even purchase AppleCare for this.
Jan 1, 2019
63 posts
38 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 3:13 am
No, it isn’t. Apple’s refurbished products are basically new. They replace all necessary parts and offer the same warranty as their new products. Moreover, Amazon Canada is not, as far as I know, an authorized Apple dealer. I would be very surprised if you could even purchase AppleCare for this.
I see, thanks! Wasn't really sure how things worked. Thought since it worked with Staples, Amazon would be applicable too.

But I see Staples is open box whereas the Amazon one is not. So I was asking a weird question, it seems, lol.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4004 posts
1127 upvotes
sasamac wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 2:25 am
I see. Someone earlier had mentioned that they purchased a returned/open box iPad Pro and was able to reset the warranty by giving a phone call to AppleCare.

I thought with this, it would be the same case.
Not true. I was told they don't have the ability to change the purchase date even though there is a link to "Correct a Purchase Date" on their website:

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups

Spent over an hour on the phone with a rep and her supervisor who doesn't even know how their warranty works. Apple has the worst support I've ever experienced and I've owned Dell, Lenovo, MSI, Toshiba, and Acer computers.

Filing a complaint now but I doubt it'll get anywhere.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4031 posts
621 upvotes
Lincoln, Ontario
vivibaby wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 6:05 pm
Not true. I was told they don't have the ability to change the purchase date even though there is a link to "Correct a Purchase Date" on their website:

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups

Spent over an hour on the phone with a rep and her supervisor who doesn't even know how their warranty works. Apple has the worst support I've ever experienced and I've owned Dell, Lenovo, MSI, Toshiba, and Acer computers.

Filing a complaint now but I doubt it'll get anywhere.
Is it the amazon refurb you’re referring to or staples open box ? If it’s staples open box use the link and upload documents if it’s a third party refurb - Apple will not provide warranty for a third party refurb.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4004 posts
1127 upvotes
x-batman wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 6:28 pm
Is it the amazon refurb you’re referring to or staples open box ? If it’s staples open box use the link and upload documents if it’s a third party refurb - Apple will not provide warranty for a third party refurb.
Staples open box.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4031 posts
621 upvotes
Lincoln, Ontario
vivibaby wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 6:44 pm
Staples open box.
Just fill out the form, and give it a few days. No need to contact. Where you might hit a snag if the open box was signed into iCloud and used for more than a few months.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4004 posts
1127 upvotes
x-batman wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 6:47 pm
Just fill out the form, and give it a few days. No need to contact. Where you might hit a snag if the open box was signed into iCloud and used for more than a few months.
The only option was to have them call you.

I went though a rep who made the changes which didn't reflect on the webpage to a supervisor who I think reversed the changes.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16903 posts
3815 upvotes
Toronto
sasamac wrote:
Regarding warranty...

Amazon has a renewed version that is essentially pre-owned --- returned, assuming. It comes with a 90-day supplier-backed warranty. Is this the same warranty that Apple offers?
Not even close.
If not, can I reset the warranty so that it is?
YMMV, but when I bought an open box Apple TV 4K from Best Buy, Apple refused to reset the warranty. That's right, not even open box from Best Buy (which I believe is Canada's largest 3rd party Apple retailer), and definitely not third-party refurb.

So, unless you are getting a killer deal and the original Apple warranty is near intact, I would never buy a so-called refurb Apple product from a third party. Also, for my Amex extended warranty, they extend warranties on new and refurb products from the original manufacturer (ie. Apple) but they will not extend the warranty on 3rd party refurbs.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1754 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
sasamac wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 3:54 am
I see, thanks! Wasn't really sure how things worked. Thought since it worked with Staples, Amazon would be applicable too.

But I see Staples is open box whereas the Amazon one is not. So I was asking a weird question, it seems, lol.
Not strange at all. Staples is an authorized Apple dealer. So new stuff bought from them is covered. I am not sure about open boxes.

The Source is also an Apple dealer. They are very picky when it comes to returning Apple products. I don't think they accept Apple returns that have been opened. Maybe this is related to Apple warranty issues for returns to Apple dealers. In any case this is not at all obvious. Apple refurbs are essentially new products. This wouldn't be the case for a return at, say, Best Buy. On the other hand, Apple warranties are transferable to others so ...

Surely Best Buy or Staples would know. If they sell AppleCare with open box Apple stuff that would be a good sign.