Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Kidde Escape Ladder ($34.97 - 50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 11:43 pm
[OP]
Jul 26, 2019
21 posts
92 upvotes

[Staples] Kidde Escape Ladder ($34.97 - 50% off)

Staples has the Kidde 2 storey (13') escape ladder on clearance. There is stock on-line but it may not be available in store.

Retails for $80 elsewhere.

I bought two and they just arrived. Hopefully they fit my windows!

Knotmee
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1032 posts
465 upvotes
Edmonton
Just an FYI. For people that have not researched these. These are a one time use as per the manufacturer. They are coiled and wrapped at the factory and cannot be recoiled the same again once released. They seem like a decent thing to have just in case if you have a exit window with a straight drop down. However, don't expect to order it and unhurl it to give it a test, and hope to get it back together again.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1952 posts
1132 upvotes
Markham
canukeneh wrote: Just an FYI. For people that have not researched these. These are a one time use as per the manufacturer. They are coiled and wrapped at the factory and cannot be recoiled the same again once released. They seem like a decent thing to have just in case if you have a exit window with a straight drop down. However, don't expect to order it and unhurl it to give it a test, and hope to get it back together again.
Thank you.

I think its OOS now.
-------
Thank you
Apr 11, 2006
703 posts
382 upvotes
Richmond
FYI, the First Alert escape ladders sold on costco.ca are reusable. They're not on sale now, but I've bought them a few years ago when it was, so likely will go on sale sometime during the year.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2341 posts
321 upvotes
Burnaby
thanks OP.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Jan 20, 2005
601 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
kidd604 wrote: FYI, the First Alert escape ladders sold on costco.ca are reusable. They're not on sale now, but I've bought them a few years ago when it was, so likely will go on sale sometime during the year.
If I needed an escape ladder twice... Yikes....
Apr 11, 2006
703 posts
382 upvotes
Richmond
scott_newsgroup wrote: If I needed an escape ladder twice... Yikes....
LOL! I think it's meant more for practice than anything, although mine's still just sitting in the box under the bed...hoping never to have to use it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1852 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
canukeneh wrote: Just an FYI. For people that have not researched these. These are a one time use as per the manufacturer. They are coiled and wrapped at the factory and cannot be recoiled the same again once released. They seem like a decent thing to have just in case if you have a exit window with a straight drop down. However, don't expect to order it and unhurl it to give it a test, and hope to get it back together again.
Thanks. If I cannot test it I would never buy it. Untested safety equipment can be more dangerous than no safety equipment, because you rely on it. But then when the time comes you cannot figure out the instructions, you learn the window does not open wide enough, or you watch the ladder go falling to the ground because you failed to secure it properly. Or you failed to check the maximum weight capacity.

If you know you have no safety ladder, you won't waste those valuable minutes when your life is at stake. So either get something you can test, or come up with a different emergency escape plan.

I suppose you could buy two. One to practice with, one for the actual emergency. But you only get one practice that way.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1852 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Btw. 5 year limited warranty. For a one time use item, that you only use when your life is at stake, you'll never actually use the warranty. But the fact the manufacturing doesn't have the faith to offered something more is telling. Do you really want to trust your life with something the manufacture is only willing to risk $35 in a five year time frame under limited conditions?