• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2020 8:11 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2018
63 posts
144 upvotes
Ottawa

[Staples] Kingston MicroSD card - 32GB/$6.99, 64GB/$11.99, 128GB/$19.99

Needed some micro sd cards for Wyze cameras and noticed they are on sale in Staples.

32GB - $6.99
https://www.staples.ca/products/2883340 ... c-c3532-2v

64GB - $11.99
https://www.staples.ca/products/2883341 ... c-c3564-2v

128GB - $19.99
https://www.staples.ca/products/2883353 ... -c35128-2v
68 replies
Nov 25, 2019
30 posts
23 upvotes
Montréal
Those are not high endurance micro sd card. Depending on how much data you record on those, they might last 2 weeks before ending dead.

Wyze cam needs high endurance micro SD card, dedicated to recording security camera 24/7.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
2795 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto, ON
guidome wrote: Depending on how much data you record on those, they might last 2 weeks before ending dead....
Using a cheap Silicon Power micro sd card in my dashcam for over 2 years and it's still recording just fine.
Doubt it's high endurance.
I do agree however, to avoid data loss, high endurance is the way to go.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11049 posts
10091 upvotes
Visions sells the Kingston 32GB MicroSD for $5. Sale end tomorrow Jan 16.
I use it in my Wyze cam for 2 weeks. Time will tell whether it will last.
How good is Kingston lifetime warranty?
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... S%2f32GBCR

Update: Sale continues until Jan 23.
Last edited by embguy on Jan 20th, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $10 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3722 posts
696 upvotes
Mississauga
embguy wrote: Visions sells the Kingston 32GB MicroSD for $5. Sale end tomorrow Jan 16.
I use it in my Wyze cam for 2 weeks. Time will tell whether it will last.
How good is Kingston lifetime warranty?
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... S%2f32GBCR
On Wyzecam, if you don't turn on continuous recording to sd card, it won't kill the card so fast.
You can choose to record only when there is a detection/event which is pretty much what you want anyways.
As long as your detection area and sensitivity is set correctly, you should get all the footages you want.

If you have the cam set at a place with high traffic, then use endurance card as there might be more writes.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11049 posts
10091 upvotes
wing0 wrote: On Wyzecam, if you don't turn on continuous recording to sd card, it won't kill the card so fast.
You can choose to record only when there is a detection/event which is pretty much what you want anyways.
As long as your detection area and sensitivity is set correctly, you should get all the footages you want.

If you have the cam set at a place with high traffic, then use endurance card as there might be more writes.
Wyze cam records only 12 seconds of event. But it default to record continuously. I can go back to replay the event from the trigger time. It is inside my garage to monitor door open/close.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $10 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3722 posts
696 upvotes
Mississauga
embguy wrote: Wyze cam records only 12 seconds of event. But it default to record continuously. I can go back to replay the event from the trigger time. It is inside my garage to monitor door open/close.
No, that's a misconception.
12 seconds is recorded for the cloud upload and a 5 minute cooldown.

When you have a sd card inside with local storage, it will record continuously as long as there is detection/event and then it will not record when there is nothing detected.
If you turn event based recording, you can go to view playback and see the green highlighted sections are much longer than 12 seconds.
Record Events Only
When you select Record events only, the camera will only record video if motion is detected.

Record Events Only breaks the video feed into 1-minute increments. If a motion is detected at any point within a 1-minute increment, that 1-minute increment is recorded to the microSD card. This means that the camera will record continuously when there is motion, and will not record when there is no motion detected.

Just like Continuous recording, this is independent of the 12-second Event Videos that are captured and stored on the cloud for 14 days based on the camera’s motion detection settings.
Recording events only is an excellent way of preserving space on your microSD card.
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -Recording
Dec 28, 2019
379 posts
222 upvotes
Kingston’s Canvas Select™ SD card

Is this an entry-level or a mid-range series?
Jun 26, 2017
68 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How is this card for use in a Switch?
Feb 11, 2019
306 posts
368 upvotes
ON
I'd say mid-range, but really overwhelming majority of uses won't need more than Class 10/UHS 1 = 10MB/s anyway. Unless you have some specific needs go for the ones with both 10 in circle and 1 in the beaker
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1911 posts
1802 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgtalpowell wrote: Kingston’s Canvas Select™ SD card

Is this an entry-level or a mid-range series?
It's low price, low speed - but fine for recording video.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2079 posts
868 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
overtask wrote: I'd say mid-range, but really overwhelming majority of uses won't need more than Class 10/UHS 1 = 10MB/s anyway. Unless you have some specific needs go for the ones with both 10 in circle and 1 in the beaker
4K video, you need U3 minimum.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1187 posts
266 upvotes
I put a Adata (non high endurance) $5 card in my Wyze, still going strong after 1.5 years. Tho I only set it to record on motion.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1911 posts
1802 upvotes
Vancouver
Standard memory cards use TLC flash memory, which is good for a max of about 1000 write cycles. Their built-in memory controller constantly adjusts the memory map to ensure that writes are evenly spread over the entire memory instead of concentrated in one spot (like the FAT). But for a dashcam or other video recording application where you continuously overwrite the entire memory, it doesn't matter. You can easily calculate how long your card will likely last from the MB/sec of your video, the size of the card, and the 1000 writes limit. For a typical dashcam used for an hour or two a day of communting, a 32 Gbyte card might last a couple of years - it's in that ballpark. For a camera set to record continuously, obviously the card will give out much quicker - a matter of months.

Cards marketed as "high endurance" usually use MLC flash memory, which is good for about 3x the write cycles - for about 2x the price (and there's no way to verify that it's actually high endurance - counterfeiters can easily print "high endurance" on their fake cards to earn 2x the money). But even a high endurance card isn't going to last out the year if you record video to it continuously.