[Staples] Kobo H2O e-reader $162

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2019 12:03 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2016
61 posts
75 upvotes

[Staples] Kobo H2O e-reader $162

I have been watching Kobo H2O e-reader for a long time and it didn't go on sale very often. Now staples has a $20 off from the regular price and it can be stacked with coupon code 63484 for another 10% which brings down the total price to $162. Hope this is helpful to some shoppers.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1335 posts
611 upvotes
Not to start an ereader debate, there are pros and cons to Kobo and Kindle, but the new Kindle Paperwhite is waterproof and has a flat 6 inch screen and is sometimes on sale for $120.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2016
61 posts
75 upvotes
Diafel wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 9:57 pm
Not to start an ereader debate, there are pros and cons to Kobo and Kindle, but the new Kindle Paperwhite is waterproof and has a flat 6 inch screen and is sometimes on sale for $120.
I'm also so tempted to buy the kindle paperwhite. After I did some research, the reasons I perfer h2o are
1. larger screen (6.8 inches)
2. pocket integration that allows me to download online articles from websites like medium
3. warm light (also available on kindle oasis now and hopefully can be added to paperwhite later)
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10382 posts
1171 upvotes
Vancouver
i had the kindle and for me the screen isn't large enough. maybe this one will be.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1545 posts
1411 upvotes
Alberta
Hmm... I just purchased the Clara HD a couple days ago using this same code... This one wasn't on sale at the time, I will compare and possibly upgrade...

Can anyone here offer any insight on the difference between the two models and which they prefer?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1129 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
I got the 6" Kobo Clara last week to replace a broken Kobo Glo HD. 6" screen is big enough for me because I read exclusively all-text (no images) books. Wouldn't want the extra weight and size of a 6.8" device. I prefer the eReader over my phone due to the screen technology, but any bigger and I'd probably start leaving it at home.

Got my Clara at SDM for $120 with a 20x (30%) PCOptimum offer. So paid $135.60 and got back $36 in PCOptimum (plus bought Coke, TP, eggs, all got the 30%).

Don't know if Clara is still $120 at SDM (not in this week's flyer) but it's $120 at Kobo Canadian site until Jul 17, so maybe it's $120 everywhere. If you have a 20x offer from SDM and can find one in a store, get them to price-check it and if it's $120 that may be the cheapest way to go? Use the points at Loblaws or RCSS or Maxi.

=aw
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1545 posts
1411 upvotes
Alberta
After reading comparisons, I think I'll prefer the Clara hd. The light weight and better screen are more desirable than waterproofing for myself
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2477 posts
1917 upvotes
Oakville
I've been viewing so many if these e reader threads and can never decide which one to hop on, so literally I continue to buy physical books.

I wish one of these readers just popped out:
1) e ink
2) waterproof
3) compatible with Toronto public library
4) at least 6 inch
5) long battery life
6) low weight
7) option to import "free" wink wink books from the web
8) colour screen is not required (but is nice to have bonus)
9) the ability to read it in the dark is important (without hurting my eyes or buying LED light accessory.

Someone tell me which one does the above? And I will keep an eye out for that specific model.

I greatly appreciate your input in setting my lost soul straight on this
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1129 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd say any modern Kobo, if you can live without the colour screen. Not sure eInk does colour yet (pretty sure not) and it's eInk that's the key to the long battery life. I didn't care about waterproof when I got the Clara (it has a $13 cover from Amazon and it fits in my pocket) but the Kobo H2O models are fairly waterproof if that's important.

My Glo HD read Ottawa Public Library books natively, but they had to be checked out on computer then transferred by cable. My new Clara HD has my library as an additional tab in the "Kobo Store"; I haven't tried it yet because I've got so much to read already.

I don't think Kindles support the EPUB format that the Canadian libraries offer. But you can use Calibre software on your computer to convert to Amazon's format (though then you're back to including a computer in the process).

I've never considered anything but Kobo, to get the OPL format. Maybe a Kindle is better for some reason.

=aw
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2577 posts
796 upvotes
Da boot
zdpz wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 12:19 am
I've been viewing so many if these e reader threads and can never decide which one to hop on, so literally I continue to buy physical books.

1) e ink
2) waterproof
4) at least 6 inch
5) long battery life
6) low weight
9) the ability to read it in the dark is important (without hurting my eyes or buying LED light accessory.

Someone tell me which one does the above? And I will keep an eye out for that specific model.

Don't forget Open Library.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2477 posts
1917 upvotes
Oakville
aw1883 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 1:09 am
I'd say any modern Kobo, if you can live without the colour screen. Not sure eInk does colour yet (pretty sure not) and it's eInk that's the key to the long battery life. I didn't care about waterproof when I got the Clara (it has a $13 cover from Amazon and it fits in my pocket) but the Kobo H2O models are fairly waterproof if that's important.

My Glo HD read Ottawa Public Library books natively, but they had to be checked out on computer then transferred by cable. My new Clara HD has my library as an additional tab in the "Kobo Store"; I haven't tried it yet because I've got so much to read already.

I don't think Kindles support the EPUB format that the Canadian libraries offer. But you can use Calibre software on your computer to convert to Amazon's format (though then you're back to including a computer in the process).

I've never considered anything but Kobo, to get the OPL format. Maybe a Kindle is better for some reason.

=aw
So go for KoboH20, it does all of what I said minus the colour?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1129 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
You mean Kobo Aura H2O? Yes it's IPX8 rated, It's also a 6.8" screen and at 207g it's the heaviest Kobo. You mentioned low weight as a priority; 207g is not heavy but it's the heaviest.

OTOH Kobo Forma is more expensive, 8" screen, IPX8, and only 197g (you prioritized low weight but not low price ;) ).

Meanwhile Kobo Clara HD is 166g but not waterproof. Lighter, cheaper, and not waterproof. Are you worried about rain, or reading it in the bathtub? The cover and my pocket are good enough for me for the former. :)

=aw
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1120 posts
995 upvotes
Vancouver
Lush78 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 11:28 pm
Hmm... I just purchased the Clara HD a couple days ago using this same code... This one wasn't on sale at the time, I will compare and possibly upgrade...

Can anyone here offer any insight on the difference between the two models and which they prefer?
People who have only tried e-readers with 6" screen size think they are ok, but I found that even going up to 6.8" makes a big positive difference. I originally had the 6" Kobo Touch and then upgraded to the 6.8" Aura HD, and I would never go back to the smaller size. The H2O is a bit thinner and lighter than the original Aura HD, and has slightly better screen contrast. I wouldn't mind an even bigger screen, but I don't want to pay more than $200 for it, and the current top-end Kobo and Kindle models with 8" screens are way over that.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1120 posts
995 upvotes
Vancouver
zdpz wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 12:19 am

1) e ink
2) waterproof
4) at least 6 inch
5) long battery life
6) low weight

You are being way too picky. All the modern e-readers remaining in the market are virtually identical in terms of the important characteristics and functionality. Both Kobo and Kindle buy their screens from eInk, put them in a very similar package with a touch overlay and front edge lighting. They have very similar processors and memory, more than adequate for an e-reader. They all have adequate battery life. You could hardly tell the difference between reading on one model or another. People get into endless discussions about which is the best or most open book ecosystem or the easiest to load books, but really that's kind of trivial: you can load any book on any of them, and you spend 99% of your time reading and only 1% on book management. The important features are screen size and decent built-in screen lighting for reading when it's too dark.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1023 posts
349 upvotes
Montréal
Kobo for free library borrowing Overdrive. It's a no brainer. I got the Clara hd for 139-20$-10% off from Staples just now