Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Staples] Lenovo S145 Laptop for $499 (was $399 for BF)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2020 12:43 pm
Dec 1, 2009
744 posts
243 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
game_fanatic wrote: To make this easier for the regular folk to understand (like myself), you can purchase some Crucial laptop RAM for $39.99 (8GB) and boost this to 16GB: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Single-PC ... 2298&psc=1

Crucial lists this ram as being compatible with the S145, https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatib ... s145-15api
So there are 2 RAM slots? It ships with one single 8GB installed so we can use the other one to add another 8gb?
did you disassemble it to verify that? I would sure want to have 16GB but haven't got the laptop yet.

Edit: from what I read by Googling it, there is a 4gb soldier to the board so my guess is that there is that upgradable ram slot is already occupied with a 4gb memory meaning that if I'd buy a new 8gb I'd end up with only 12 and not 16. Can someone confirm if there currently is a 4gb ram installed in that slot?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4639 posts
630 upvotes
MolsonAlex wrote: So there are 2 RAM slots? It ships with one single 8GB installed so we can use the other one to add another 8gb?
did you disassemble it to verify that? I would sure want to have 16GB but haven't got the laptop yet.

Edit: from what I read by Googling it, there is a 4gb soldier to the board so my guess is that there is that upgradable ram slot is already occupied with a 4gb memory meaning that if I'd buy a new 8gb I'd end up with only 12 and not 16. Can someone confirm if there currently is a 4gb ram installed in that slot?
You are most likely correct, which explains how the previous user ended up with 20GB: they probably bought a 16GB module and took out the 4GB module. This review indicates one ram slot: https://laptopmedia.com/review/lenovo-i ... dern-look/
Jul 18, 2007
425 posts
51 upvotes
SOLD - Purchased one of these for my wife however she does not like it, if anyone is interested PM me, happy to unload it for cost.
Last edited by q1w2e3r4 on Dec 5th, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 18, 2006
217 posts
104 upvotes
Buy the crusial 16gb... . And sell the 4gb.. So total 20 gb.. The max u can put in the s145.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4639 posts
630 upvotes
sinistral wrote: I know spec show 12gb but the max is 20gb
Good to know! Was it difficult to crack open the case and slot in the 16GB module?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3517 posts
2051 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
notoriousbigdan wrote: Nice specs. Don't like the 2 cell battery or this...

Keyboard Language Bilingual
Yeah give me a thicker 96 and I would be all over it haha.
---
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2576 posts
1175 upvotes
Pothole city
Just wondering... Why in hell do you want 16GB of ram on this kind of laptop?
Nov 18, 2011
1082 posts
789 upvotes
TORONTO
typer100 wrote: Just wondering... Why in hell do you want 16GB of ram on this kind of laptop?
Totally agree with you. No idea why people want to upgrade something like this. I thought the entire point of this laptop is a cheap but decent (OK CPU and SSD) solution for internet browsing, with no trouble to upgrade and further investment. Wasting time and money on a cheap but capable laptop like this just doesn't make sense to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1484 posts
1012 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
Tried it out before giving it to the wife.
Not a rocketship, but works good for what is it.
Immediately removed McAfee crap and installed Bitdefender with Malwarebytes and added Chrome.
Good little laptop for 375+tax. No complaints here. Wife will get good mileage out of it.
Thought about adding ram but as previous poster mentioned, it defeats the original purchase purpose.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1484 posts
1012 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
sinistral wrote: Cost about 30$ for 8go.. Cmon lol
I've set an ATL alert on CCC for the 16gb.
If it hits.... I'll buy it. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2007
1579 posts
163 upvotes
Anybody know of a good touchpad software for this laptop? Looks like it's using the windows generic one, there's no way to customize it. The biggest problem I have is the double finger scroll, it's inverted (to what I'm used to), and there's no way to change it.

Edit: Found a solution, go to MS Store and download ETDProperties app

Now just need a solution to remap the extra french key beside the LeftShift and turn that into a LeftShift key as well.

Edit: Download "Sharpkeys", this program allows you remap anything you want on your keyboard to another key of your choice, it write is into the registry (you can alwayschange it back). Simple to use, you press the key that you want to change, in this case, that stupid added key beside the LeftShift, then you press the key that you want to change it to, in this case you press "LeftShift". So now technically I have 2 LeftShift keys (right beside each other). You can go f#@$ youself bilingual keyboard!