Hot Deals

[Staples] Lexar Professional SDHC UHS-I Memory Card 32 GB - $7.99

[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
160 posts
94 upvotes
GTA

[Staples] Lexar Professional SDHC UHS-I Memory Card 32 GB - $7.99

Needed one, seems like a pretty good deal. OOS online, but price matched with Best Buy (orig. price at BB $29.99)
10 replies
Jul 14, 2019
93 posts
107 upvotes
For anyone thinking of using these in a camera, drone, recording device, etc. note that the minimum sustained write speeds on these cards are extremely slow, only 10 MB/s despite the misleading advertising of the 95MB/s instantaneous maximums. Price is in line with the everyday price of other slow cards of similar capacity.
Jan 10, 2006
327 posts
125 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 1:42 pm
note that the minimum sustained write speeds on these cards are extremely slow, only 10 MB/s despite the misleading advertising of the 95MB/s instantaneous maximums.
So it's a Class 10 (C10, U1 = minimum sequential write speed of 10MB/s) as advertised? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Class
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
160 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
CanadaCPU wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 1:42 pm
For anyone thinking of using these in a camera, drone, recording device, etc. note that the minimum sustained write speeds on these cards are extremely slow, only 10 MB/s despite the misleading advertising of the 95MB/s instantaneous maximums. Price is in line with the everyday price of other slow cards of similar capacity.
95MB/s refers to the transfer speed not write speed, as fizikz indicated. As with everything people need to educate themselves before buying.
Would't call it extremely slow. Not optimal for 4K video recording, but 10MB/s should be enough for RAW format images on a DSLR for a non-pro user.
May 30, 2013
334 posts
205 upvotes
Markham
This card is definitely not fast, but it has a write speed faster than 10mb/s. I have the 64Gb version, and it is around 2x-30mb/s write.
Jul 14, 2019
93 posts
107 upvotes
fizikz wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 2:03 pm
So it's a Class 10 (C10, U1 = minimum sequential write speed of 10MB/s) as advertised? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Class
It's advertised (if you click the link) as 95MB/s read and write which is highly misleading. Most people do not understand the symbols on the cards and just look at what the manufacturers shove in their face, so my post was to help those people out.
tvaddicto wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 2:42 pm
95MB/s refers to the transfer speed not write speed, as fizikz indicated. As with everything people need to educate themselves before buying.
Would't call it extremely slow. Not optimal for 4K video recording, but 10MB/s should be enough for RAW format images on a DSLR for a non-pro user.
Look again - they are advertising 95 MB/s read and write with zero caveats if you actually click the link Smiling Face With Open Mouth That is typical of most manufacturers because it's what most people look at when shopping. The speed that matters for most usage is the minimum sustained write speed, denoted by the symbols on the card but never advertised by the manufacturer.

I also would definitely not be using this card in a DSLR, pro user or not - you are creating a severe bottleneck for the sake of a few dollars, it would make no sense. If that camera had a video function, it would be dropping frames unless the bitrate was extremely low. The last Sandisk 64GB U3/V30 card I purchased was double the capacity (64GB) and only $19.99.

To give you an idea of how slow that is, if you used this camera in something like a Sony RX100V (a popular point & shoot), a full buffer would take almost 4 minutes to clear. Sure it'll work, but you might miss a once in a lifetime photo to save $5.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1373 posts
270 upvotes
Oshawa
I’m assuming this would be fine for a raspberry pi running Pi-hole?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3819 posts
1001 upvotes
GTA
dieselboy27 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 3:36 pm
I’m assuming this would be fine for a raspberry pi running Pi-hole?
No. This is the wrong sized card. Look for a microSD card instead
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1373 posts
270 upvotes
Oshawa
Dave98 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 3:41 pm
No. This is the wrong sized card. Look for a microSD card instead
Thanks, I can’t seem to open these links anymore on iOS running through the pi-hole dns. :-/
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2356 posts
328 upvotes
chanc2 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 3:05 pm
This card is definitely not fast, but it has a write speed faster than 10mb/s. I have the 64Gb version, and it is around 2x-30mb/s write.
Description says it's U1 or U3 based on capacity, so sounds like the 64GB version is likely U3.
Nov 24, 2013
88 posts
29 upvotes
Burnaby
dieselboy27 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 3:48 pm
Thanks, I can’t seem to open these links anymore on iOS running through the pi-hole dns. :-/
Same for me. Rfd does some redirection probably for analytics. Don't think they need to do it that way to add affiliate id