[Staples] Microsoft Ergo Surface Keyboard $109 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 7:23 am
[OP]
May 22, 2016
295 posts
269 upvotes

[Staples] Microsoft Ergo Surface Keyboard $109 YMMV

I picked this up just now in store, after initially looking for the Microsoft Sculpt keyboard. They didn't have the sculpt in stock but when he was searching I noticed this keyboard in a brand new unopened box and asked if he could price check it. Its bluetooth wireless and ergonomic.

it rang in at $109 + tax, which is significantly cheaper than the price online at $189.99.

Bought this in Mississauga (Mavis/Central Pkwy store), no idea if this deal is available elsewhere.
21 replies
Apr 12, 2008
994 posts
318 upvotes
Great deal.. how does this diff from the Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard? This one is more expensive than the Sculpt Keyboard..

I started looking at ergonomic keyboards, and the Logitech K860 looks good too
Sep 3, 2010
279 posts
92 upvotes
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Great deal.. how does this diff from the Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard? This one is more expensive than the Sculpt Keyboard..

Alcantara finishing, integrated ten keys. The Sculpt using an 87-key-like layout, Surface is more traditional. Switch feel is similar on both boards.
Sep 7, 2002
848 posts
207 upvotes
I still have 3x 4000 series keyboards BNIB I love them so much. Would love to try this, but prob not worth shelling out more. Upvoted to get more people to try ergo keyboards.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1451 posts
310 upvotes
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Great deal.. how does this diff from the Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard? This one is more expensive than the Sculpt Keyboard..

As iamaaronlol said, the Surface Ergo is a more traditional layout. Everything to the right of the Enter key is what you'd expect in a full-sized keyboard. The Sculpt goes for a more compact design and the number pad is a separate piece. Personally, if you're looking for a full-sized ergo keyboard and not particular about the chicklet-styles keys or having something wireless, the Natural Ergo 4000 seems like a better deal. That keyboard still sells very well, and for good reason, and is much cheaper than the Surface Ergo when it's on sale.

I tried the Sculpt and didn't like it. The new MS Ergo or Logitech K860 look like they could be a good, updated replacement for the Ergo 4000, but I have yet to try either one.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5750 posts
1924 upvotes
I don’t think it’s worth the premium over the sculpt keyboard if the only dif is Allan Tara. Plus you can’t clean it and it’ll wear fast.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1451 posts
310 upvotes
iamaaronlol wrote: Alcantara finishing, integrated ten keys. The Sculpt using an 87-key-like layout, Surface is more traditional. Switch feel is similar on both boards.
The alcantara finish is a plus or minus depending on how clean you keep your hands and how much your wrists rub against the padding. I've seen some alcantara look pretty gross after a few months of use.
Feb 22, 2017
138 posts
220 upvotes
toronto, ON
Wow, great price! I have the Microsoft sculpt keyboard and, having come from the Natural 4000, I prefer the 4000. The sculpt keyboard is quite good for the main keys, but the home/end/pg up/pg dn keys are all in a **** with the arrow keys and squashed into the side. It's pretty annoying that way. Overall, I'd stick with the 4000 series or, if I could find the Surface keyboard for this price, I'd buy it.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
295 posts
269 upvotes
There are things to like and dislike from either the Sculpt or the Surface Ergo. The Sculpt for example has a stupid switch you need in order to access the FN buttons, but has a nicer keyboard response than the Surface.

I strongly considered the 4000 to be honest, it could be had for $69 in store and I did my research, but ultimately its wired and I wanted wireless along with the the fact that the 4000 has dome keys versus the more modern style keys, oh and I have a silver monitor so the aesthetics of the surface match my setup. Why on earth did they discontinue the 7000 rather than simply improve the connectivity?
Dec 17, 2006
114 posts
34 upvotes
Brampton
Damn I ordered one off of ebay a week and a half ago for $100 USD and its supposed to be finally arriving today! Very solid deal.
Nov 26, 2017
20 posts
20 upvotes

Bluetooth is a huge advantage over the sculpt keyboard. With the sculpt, if you lose the dongle then your keyboard becomes useless.
May 16, 2010
173 posts
148 upvotes
I have this keyboard and this is fine if you use it with one device. But if you are using multiple devices like desktop/laptop like in home office setup, you will need to re-pair every single time you switch devices. It's shame they don't have multi device pairing solution like logitech.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
295 posts
269 upvotes
I considered the Logitech MK850, MK710, MK550, but the quality control issues in all of them really made me pause as to whether I wanted to deal with that or go with something like this.

Again, if the price was $189, I wouldn't even consider this as I'd need to spring for the mouse, but at $109, I'll pay for a good mouse and be $200 all in., to me was worth it.
Nov 8, 2007
539 posts
185 upvotes
From most of the reports I've seen the alcantara is a huge drawback and will wear out quickly. Even the ones I've seen in person seem to be worn out and gross, otherwise I'd give this a try.

Previously tried the Scupt and returned it immediately. IMO the 4000 is still the best and has been for over a decade. I think I still have the original MS Natural Pro somewhere too. I don't know why there aren't more (and better) fully-ergonomic options out there. Seems like a neglected segment.
Apr 12, 2017
264 posts
149 upvotes
Neo_ZX wrote: From most of the reports I've seen the alcantara is a huge drawback and will wear out quickly. Even the ones I've seen in person seem to be worn out and gross, otherwise I'd give this a try.

Previously tried the Scupt and returned it immediately. IMO the 4000 is still the best and has been for over a decade. I think I still have the original MS Natural Pro somewhere too. I don't know why there aren't more (and better) fully-ergonomic options out there. Seems like a neglected segment.
This.