Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Microsoft Ergo Surface Keyboard $109 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 7:23 am
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5767 posts
1930 upvotes
User205932 wrote: Bluetooth is a huge advantage over the sculpt keyboard. With the sculpt, if you lose the dongle then your keyboard becomes useless.
But there is lag with bluetooth.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
310 posts
299 upvotes
Neo_ZX wrote: From most of the reports I've seen the alcantara is a huge drawback and will wear out quickly. Even the ones I've seen in person seem to be worn out and gross, otherwise I'd give this a try.

Previously tried the Scupt and returned it immediately. IMO the 4000 is still the best and has been for over a decade. I think I still have the original MS Natural Pro somewhere too. I don't know why there aren't more (and better) fully-ergonomic options out there. Seems like a neglected segment.
Alcantara needs to be cleaned regularly and maintained. If you do this at the end of every working day by keeping a cleaner handy, then it's beauty and durability can be maintained. Otherwise you are right.

Having started using this keyboard, I have to say its fantastic. Now searching for a new mouse, which I think will be the Logitech MX Master 3, ultimate productivity mouse! Just can't find any availability of the Grey version.
Nov 8, 2007
541 posts
189 upvotes
SS76SS wrote: Alcantara needs to be cleaned regularly and maintained. If you do this at the end of every working day by keeping a cleaner handy, then it's beauty and durability can be maintained. Otherwise you are right.
Admittedly I never looked into the cleaning aspect, however I expect that virtually no one has the time or care to do this every session. Even if regular cleaning was effective, I suspect your palms would still create noticeable physical wear on the material in a short period of time, though I could be wrong about that. To compare, after 10+ years my MS 4000 only has light wear on the faux leather pad but the dark surface masks it quite well.

The Surface KB might be better suited for a workstation that has low-moderate use. The keys did feel pretty nice from what I remember. If the padding could be swapped out, preferably for something more durable, it could perhaps be a way around it. I'd consider myself to be pretty neat/clean so I don't mind taking care of things, but for me this crosses the line of practicality.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
310 posts
299 upvotes
Neo_ZX wrote: Admittedly I never looked into the cleaning aspect, however I expect that virtually no one has the time or care to do this every session. Even if regular cleaning was effective, I suspect your palms would still create noticeable physical wear on the material in a short period of time, though I could be wrong about that. To compare, after 10+ years my MS 4000 only has light wear on the faux leather pad but the dark surface masks it quite well.

The Surface KB might be better suited for a workstation that has low-moderate use. The keys did feel pretty nice from what I remember. If the padding could be swapped out, preferably for something more durable, it could perhaps be a way around it. I'd consider myself to be pretty neat/clean so I don't mind taking care of things, but for me this crosses the line of practicality.
Ya, thats fair, we'll see how well I do with this, lol. I have a cleaner at my desk, and a 5 second wipe at the end of the working day should be easy enough. I know what you mean about the wear and how it looks after. A guy is selling a 2 yr used version, same one I bought, and it has brown stains, looks like something else, lol.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
310 posts
299 upvotes
Just an update, returned it. People are right about the Alcantara turning color, started happening after 3 uses. Biggest problem for me though is the inability to connect to multiple devices like my Logitech mouse. It's have to pair and repair everytime. So I got the Logitech ergo k860 which is every bit as good and can switch computers and the press of a button......I can now drag and drop files between computers with Logitech flow technology..... Why Microsoft can't do this is puzzling.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5767 posts
1930 upvotes
SS76SS wrote: Just an update, returned it. People are right about the Alcantara turning color, started happening after 3 uses. Biggest problem for me though is the inability to connect to multiple devices like my Logitech mouse. It's have to pair and repair everytime. So I got the Logitech ergo k860 which is every bit as good and can switch computers and the press of a button......I can now drag and drop files between computers with Logitech flow technology..... Why Microsoft can't do this is puzzling.
Logitech doedsn't use bluetoth that's why.