• Apr 21st, 2012 10:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2959 posts
743 upvotes

Staples - No More Residential Delivery for "High Risk" electronics

Ordered a desktop last night. Today got this notice:

[QUOTE]Please be advised that we are unable to deliver your order to a residential area due to security. We can have it delivered to a store location so the card holder can provide photo id and credit card. Please advise how you would like to proceed with the order. Your order will remain on hold for 48hrs. Please reference order 54053xxxxx[/QUOTE]

Called in today. Apparently staples has changed their residential delivery policy. "High Risk" items (he specifically mentioned computers, laptops, tablets) can now only be delivered for in store pick up, where you must present the credit card used to purchase.

This is apparently in response to a growing problem they are having with fraud.

So basically, it wipes staples off my order list. Nearest staples is 30K away, and I used to use the specifically for their free delivery. I order quite a bit from them. I asked if it was anything specfic to me or my order, and they said that it is not - everything is fine with the order, it's just that this is their new policy.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2011
1980 posts
271 upvotes
MONT-ROYAL
why don't they deliver only to the billing address on the cc?

anyway I have a staples one 10 min walk away... Not bad
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2959 posts
743 upvotes
CheeseDie wrote: why don't they deliver only to the billing address on the cc?

anyone for my I have one 10 min walk away... Not bad

That's what I had said. My CC billing address is the same as delivery. CS said "sorry, it's the policy"
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2568 posts
138 upvotes
I came in here expecting to see they no longer deliver electronics, PERIOD.

OP, change your title, it's slightly misleading.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2959 posts
743 upvotes
Insider wrote: I came in here expecting to see they no longer deliver electronics, PERIOD.

OP, change your title, it's slightly misleading.

Added "High Risk"

But as it covers PCs, Latops and Tablets - that's a huge portion of what people typically buy from staples.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2027 upvotes
Nowhere
This is strange indeed as there are many ways that they could verify that it is not a fraudulent purchase. You would think by coming to your home they would verify that it is the correct address where the card holder lives. The people that skim credit cards also produce their own cards and very authentic looking fake ID to go with them. So this allows someone to set up a fake account in your name with your skimmed credit card, place a large order and go into the store with their fake id to pick up the order without them or the order ever coming near your home. I guess of course they could just go in store to purchase but this way the order would be ready and waiting and would limit their exposure to people/cameras that could identify them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8225 posts
1761 upvotes
Toronto
So much for their big red 'Easy' button.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1019 upvotes
CheeseDie wrote: why don't they deliver only to the billing address on the cc?

I'm betting it was customers claiming that the packages had been tampered with (stuff removed) by their drivers doing deliveries. I recall a thread here like that ages ago.

If so this is a pretty top heavy solution to their drivers with sticky fingers. It's been ages since I've bought anything from Staples (employees hording stock on deals....bundling clearance stuff with crap to jack up the price...no thanks) but this'll pretty much eliminate me buying from them in the future.

My Staples is in a lovely industrial park that's across the street from a closed up auto dealership...I seriously doubt I'l have any reason to go to that area of town.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2159 posts
601 upvotes
Whitehorse
This sucks. I ordered an itty-bitty netbook (219.99$) for my business. High risk? You must be kidding!

This was the only item on that order and they had delivered stuff to me before. But not that they tell on their website that they won't deliver, instead they say "free delivery" and "a 15$ value!". Then I received a confusing an email "Thank You for contacting OPS support,...". I have no idea who "OPS" is and I definitely had not contacted them.

I am told to pick a store for delivery within 48 hours, or my order will be cancelled. But when I called them to ask WTF I was told that I could not talk to those "OPS" people because they don't work on the weekend. They would only be back more than 48 hours after my order had been placed.

So I had to pick a store, wait for the shipment (although they would have had the Netbook in store) and go on a pilgrimage thither. I had been promised a call as soon as the item would arrive in the store, but eventually I called to store and found that my "high risk" netbook was already waiting for me.

Upon pickup, I talked to the manager and raised the point that they should tell people on the website during the booked process that they don't deliver, but she said that the online stuff was an entirely separate business and only had the name "Staples" in common. I should call the hotline and tell them what I think.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
Probably where all you people live. Possibly a lot of fraud going on, or it's not safe for the driver. I have never had a problem where I live, but my area is pretty safe.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2159 posts
601 upvotes
Whitehorse
I don't think it has anything to do with the safety of the drivers. They do deliver stuff here, but with some opaque exceptions.

I would think it is Staples' fear of begin defrauded by the drivers.