[Staples] NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player- $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 12:46 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1838 posts
1106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
stroger wrote: I know Plex has all the clout, and the server isn't bad, but I've always had issues on the player end. I think using Kodi to access your Plex library is the way to go, albeit not as user friendly
I've been using Kodi (on Vero 4K and Shield TV) for years through my NAS, so my Kodi library are files hosted on my NAS. Never had any issue with playback, even the most demanding video files like 2160p HEVC. I can skip, rewind, fast forward and so on. Never had a buffering issue. Kodi remembers where I was when I stop watching a movie or TV show, and allows to easily download subtitles. I can also easily create bookmarks. Would there be any advantage of using Plex Media Server over my current setup?
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
May 26, 2016
100 posts
176 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: I've been using Kodi (on Vero 4K and Shield TV) for years through my NAS, so my Kodi library are files hosted on my NAS. Never had any issue with playback, even the most demanding video files like 2160p HEVC. I can skip, rewind, fast forward and so on. Never had a buffering issue. Kodi remembers where I was when I stop watching a movie or TV show, and allows to easily download subtitles. I can also easily create bookmarks. Would there be any advantage of using Plex Media Server over my current setup?
Probably not tbh. If everything is working well already, i cant think of any advantages.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1838 posts
1106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
stroger wrote: Probably not tbh. If everything is working well already, i cant think of any advantages.
Well thanks, but what's the usual advantage of using Plex Media Server versus a simple network drive where are the files are, for example? I'm just trying to grasp why Plex is so popular.

EDIT: I pondered this over a beer and maybe I managed to answer myself, you could confirm this. The problem with my setup is that I can only watch my TV shows and movies from the same device, connected to my TV. It's a static setup. The advantage of a Media Server like Plex is that it can broadcast the media and any device with the Plex app can easily connect and watch the feeds. So if I wanted to watch something over my phone, I'd simply install the Plex app on it, and I'd be able to watch videos from my library on the phone. If I wanted to connect to a network drive on my phone, and have access to my library, it would be a lot of work (if it's even possible). Would that sound like *the* advantage of Plex?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3046 posts
295 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: Well thanks, but what's the usual advantage of using Plex Media Server versus a simple network drive where are the files are, for example? I'm just trying to grasp why Plex is so popular.

EDIT: I pondered this over a beer and maybe I managed to answer myself, you could confirm this. The problem with my setup is that I can only watch my TV shows and movies from the same device, connected to my TV. It's a static setup. The advantage of a Media Server like Plex is that it can broadcast the media and any device with the Plex app can easily connect and watch the feeds. So if I wanted to watch something over my phone, I'd simply install the Plex app on it, and I'd be able to watch videos from my library on the phone. If I wanted to connect to a network drive on my phone, and have access to my library, it would be a lot of work (if it's even possible). Would that sound like *the* advantage of Plex?
The advantage of Plex is the UI. It's a great interface. I also use it to view my media on any device. The syncing feature is great as well. It will automatically download new episodes to my iPad which I can then watch offline while on the go train.
Feb 5, 2012
321 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
I have the 2015 (non pro). Is this worth upgrading?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1682 posts
596 upvotes
Oakville
I think we're the only two RFD members with the Vero 4k+. I had the nVidia Shield TV tube but ended up selling it because I was only using it for streaming Youtube. But I can do the same thing with the Vero by 'sharing' (i.e. casting) from my phone via the Yatse app.

RE: Plex Server
You're right in that the Plex server allows you to watch with any device. You're not tied to watching on a single device. The device that's hosting the Plex Server is transcoding the video and streaming it to your device. I.e. Your device (e.g. phone) isn't doing the heavy lifting of processing the video. It's just receiving the video and playing it.

Btw, RFD is in love with the nVidia Shield as the be all and end all of media players. So we'll need to be careful of saying anything positive about the Vero 4k+ or face the wrath of RFD!
willy0275 wrote: Well thanks, but what's the usual advantage of using Plex Media Server versus a simple network drive where are the files are, for example? I'm just trying to grasp why Plex is so popular.

Last edited by Kursor17 on Jun 30th, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3045 posts
2840 upvotes
Alberta
poppy1337 wrote: I have the 2015 (non pro). Is this worth upgrading?
Only if you want/need Dolby Vision. The original shield is going into the history books as the greatest supported device of all time.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1838 posts
1106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Kursor17 wrote: I think we're the only two RFD members with the Vero 4k+. I had the nVidia Shield TV tube but ended up selling it because I was only using it for streaming Youtube. But I can do the same thing with the Vero by 'sharing' (i.e. casting) from my phone via the Yatse app.

RE: Plex Server
You're right in that the Plex server allows you to watch with any device. You're not tied to watching on a single device. The device that's hosting the Plex Server is encoding the video and streaming it to your device. I.e. Your device (e.g. phone) isn't doing the heavy lifting of processing the video. It's just receiving the video and playing it.
Wow thanks for the explanation, "Vero bro" Smiling Face With Open Mouth So even a "weak" device would be able to watch 4K HEVC feeds because the transcoding is done remotely. That's a nice advantage, but since I only watch my media on my TV, the Vero 4K with Kodi is all I need! I also have the Shield TV for its nice "native Android" features like Youtube, but my Vero 4K is my main device for Kodi, I love it!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1682 posts
596 upvotes
Oakville
You're welcome Vero "Brah".

nVidia Shield (Android TV UI) is more user friendly and than the native KODI (OSMC) baked into our Vero 4k+.

Using a single device (Vero) was conscious effort to limit screen time for the family! 1 TV, 1 device.
willy0275 wrote: Wow thanks for the explanation, "Vero bro" Smiling Face With Open Mouth So even a "weak" device would be able to watch 4K HEVC feeds because the transcoding is done remotely. That's a nice advantage, but since I only watch my media on my TV, the Vero 4K with Kodi is all I need! I also have the Shield TV for its nice "native Android" features like Youtube, but my Vero 4K is my main device for Kodi, I love it!
Nov 22, 2012
975 posts
700 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Food for thought for Plex/Jellyfin/Emby users.

I'd just get the tube and put the savings toward a sufficiently powered NAS. Run Plex/JF/Emby on the NAS and it'll serve and store the media, because you know, you'll need a place to store the media, right?

I'd only get the pro if you need to run 64bit apps.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9385 posts
2018 upvotes
Winnipeg
crimsondr wrote: The advantage of Plex is the UI. It's a great interface. I also use it to view my media on any device. The syncing feature is great as well. It will automatically download new episodes to my iPad which I can then watch offline while on the go train.
the client sucks tho. no embedded subs support no support for legacy codec. Thats the problem with all of them emby and jellyfin too. Looking pretty vs working right. Its better more reliable to use the plex addon in kodi for perfect reliable playback. Otherwise your stuck running an external player and then you now have 2 points of problems from one app. It helps to use external player works better too but if and when a problem happens you have to 2 areas of issues to investigate to find source.
willy0275 wrote: Wow thanks for the explanation, "Vero bro" Smiling Face With Open Mouth So even a "weak" device would be able to watch 4K HEVC feeds because the transcoding is done remotely. That's a nice advantage, but since I only watch my media on my TV, the Vero 4K with Kodi is all I need! I also have the Shield TV for its nice "native Android" features like Youtube, but my Vero 4K is my main device for Kodi, I love it!
you transcode 4k you lose image quality like hdr. So even plex recommends don't transcode 4k. The vero 4k plus can playback almost equal to the shield maybe more except DV. It just doesn't have support for subscription based apps like netflix. I use an s905x3 it only cost me at the time 45 cad. It can playback the same as either. Maybe Sam tweaked for 3d support with osmc otherwise I think my s905x3 supports more like dolby vision and av1.
Last edited by lead on Jun 30th, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3046 posts
295 upvotes
lead wrote: the client sucks tho. no embedded subs support no support for legacy codec. Thats the problem with all of them emby and jellyfin too. Looking pretty vs working right. Its better more reliable to use the plex addon in kodi for perfect reliable playback. Otherwise your stuck running an external player and then you now have 2 points of problems from one app. It helps to use external player works better too but if and when a problem happens you have to 2 areas of issues to investigate to find source.
Plex app on pro can direct play everything I throw at it with subs. That's why I purchased the shield to begin with. Maybe the codecs I'm using are not legacy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5858 posts
1608 upvotes
Calgary
b31770 wrote: Food for thought for Plex/Jellyfin/Emby users.

I'd just get the tube and put the savings toward a sufficiently powered NAS. Run Plex/JF/Emby on the NAS and it'll serve and store the media, because you know, you'll need a place to store the media, right?

I'd only get the pro if you need to run 64bit apps.
who stores media? do people watch stuff more than once? i used to have a library, but now with real internet and all the streaming stuff and offline play, there's no point in wasting my HDD space.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5858 posts
1608 upvotes
Calgary
i have one of these shield TV's its really good for normal casual use with apps and streaming services, wife loves the interface... but i really want the pro for our main TV, if staples ever had that in stock with the coupon i'd be on board for that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9385 posts
2018 upvotes
Winnipeg
crimsondr wrote: Plex app on pro can direct play everything I throw at it with subs. That's why I purchased the shield to begin with. Maybe the codecs I'm using are not legacy.
not all embedded subs thru direct play. Its encoded in the stream.Unless it was encoded exactly to what their player can read otherwise The little circle will just go around and say fail. Irritating enough to not want to pay for it. Plus jellyfin is free, opensource no call home cloud so what ever irks it has I can't complain about free .

With say old legacy codec it will be choppy or fail too which also happens in kodi too. The reason is the client needs to determine on its own when time to use hardware and when software. The quick easy fix is vlc player. The geeky fix is an xml where you would manually define what and how to play like say all sd play in software only. But legacy codec in hd size adds more to it then. Then you have divx and xvid and mpeg etc and where once it was natively supported its been dropped since most common hardware doesn't pay for many mpeg based licenses as they can muscle thru them with out it so its down to client player.