Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player- $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 12:46 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2018
966 posts
695 upvotes
T3rry wrote: i have one of these shield TV's its really good for normal casual use with apps and streaming services, wife loves the interface... but i really want the pro for our main TV, if staples ever had that in stock with the coupon i'd be on board for that.
Best Buy have it in stock for 259.99
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3887 posts
2037 upvotes
Toronto
T3rry wrote: who stores media? do people watch stuff more than once? i used to have a library, but now with real internet and all the streaming stuff and offline play, there's no point in wasting my HDD space.
(blush)

One of my media drives for my Plex server fried a few weeks ago.
It contained all my pre 1990 movies, many which were collected over a decade ago.
It pretty much triggered a major trimming of my library (for everything 90s+).
So many movies I will never ever watch again, and so many that I never watched even once.
DELETE!!!!
For my rebuild (of lost movies), only snagging the ones I really treasure, in 1080p remux, for optimal viewing on my projection screen.

Finally watched a remux of The Irishman on my screen (with Pro AI enhancement) - boy, those guys sure looked old while they were young, lol. Was hoping the AI would magically trim some years.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1924 posts
544 upvotes
Calgary
I have a 2017 version, still in the box, not gotten around to using it yet.

Anyone have a great article/video, etc on how to get the most out of this? (IPTV, etc)

I have the controller and just subscribed to GeForce Now as well, so looking forward to getting it set up.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1144 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
T3rry wrote: who stores media? do people watch stuff more than once? i used to have a library, but now with real internet and all the streaming stuff and offline play, there's no point in wasting my HDD space.
What is real internet? Most people have had 300+ or 600+ speeds for a long time now.

Are these so-called streaming stuff in BR quality? Guess what, everyone has different needs. If low quality streaming sites work for you, you do you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
b31770 wrote: What is real internet? Most people have had 300+ or 600+ speeds for a long time now.

Are these so-called streaming stuff in BR quality? Guess what, everyone has different needs. If low quality streaming sites work for you, you do you.
So, I should do me, but you can make suggestions to people in this thread which are a completely different approach than what the shield TV offers... alright then... I guess its a 1 way street on that "you do you" comment.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1144 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
T3rry wrote: So, I should do me, but you can make suggestions to people in this thread which are a completely different approach than what the shield TV offers... alright then... I guess its a 1 way street on that "you do you" comment.
"Food for thought for Plex/Jellyfin/Emby users."

Wasn't this my very first sentence? Food for thought means something to think about... And the Plex/JF/Emby part pretty much refers to people who have media collections.

And yes, you're free to store or not store media. Watch in 4k, BR, or ,720p. I don't think either of us will lose sleep either way. But as my comment, as explained above, solely referred to people who have media collections, didn't reference you in any way.

But let's not pretend that people don't have their personal reasons for storing media. Say I want to stay at the cabin for 2 or 3 weeks and there's intermittent internet? Inevitably we'll want to have a movie night or two. Kind of difficult to steam a movie don't you think?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
b31770 wrote: But let's not pretend that people don't have their personal reasons for storing media. Say I want to stay at the cabin for 2 or 3 weeks and there's intermittent internet? Inevitably we'll want to have a movie night or two. Kind of difficult to steam a movie don't you think?
isn't that the point of download for offline use on all the major streaming platforms?... as i said previously...

not sure how your NAS is gonna help you at the cabin...
Last edited by T3rry on Jun 30th, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2069 posts
1360 upvotes
Montreal, QC
T3rry wrote: isn't that the point of download for offline use on all the major streaming platforms?... as i said previously...
I've tried to read a few of your posts but I can't decipher your English, sadly.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
willy0275 wrote: I've tried to read a few of your posts but I can't decipher your English, sadly.
sorry our school system failed you.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1144 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
T3rry wrote: isn't that the point of download for offline use on all the major streaming platforms?... as i said previously...

not sure how your NAS is gonna help you at the cabin...
Okay, we're beyond the point of no return now. Some people choose to have a movie collection and some people choose to stream only. There are no right or wrong way...

I thought the whole point of bringing movies up to the cabin would have been fairly obvious.

a) Most people only have Netflix. But Netflix has a shitty movie selection.
b) How would I know ahead of time what the group wants to watch?

Copying a load of unwatched and some random stuff to an old NAS that you don't mind losing makes it easier to have a spontaneous movie night. But we're so off topic now it is rediculous.

The point is, the tube is a great choice for Plex/JF users if you couple that with a sufficiently powered NAS. Else a pro would be best. Figure out what combination works for you.

If you don't have a movie collection, do you even need an Nvidia Shield for streaming Netflix and Prime? I'd save my money and get a Fire Stick 4k instead?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
b31770 wrote: Okay, we're beyond the point of no return now. Some people choose to have a movie collection and some people choose to stream only. There are no right or wrong way...

I thought the whole point of bringing movies up to the cabin would have been fairly obvious.

a) Most people only have Netflix. But Netflix has a shitty movie selection.
b) How would I know ahead of time what the group wants to watch?

Copying a load of unwatched and some random stuff to an old NAS that you don't mind losing makes it easier to have a spontaneous movie night. But we're so off topic now it is rediculous.

The point is, the tube is a great choice for Plex/JF users if you couple that with a sufficiently powered NAS. Else a pro would be best. Figure out what combination works for you.

If you don't have a movie collection, do you even need an Nvidia Shield for streaming Netflix and Prime? I'd save my money and get a Fire Stick 4k instead?
ok so somehow having a NAS at home while you're at the cabin with an 8gb tube, and want to watch bluray remuxes when you dont know what anybody wants to watch.... somehow helps you..... you're just all over the place bud
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3687 posts
1225 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
T3rry wrote: ok so somehow having a NAS at home while you're at the cabin with an 8gb tube, and want to watch bluray remuxes when you dont know what anybody wants to watch.... somehow helps you..... you're just all over the place bud
T3rry wrote: sorry our school system failed you.
I think your most recent post makes it clear whom the school system has failed. You do not even attempt to come close to proper grammar.

I don’t understand why you’re so offended by the thought that people, myself included, do not agree with you and choose to store media. We use a lot of Netflix in our home but it certainly does not fill our needs in the slightest so we also collect media. Could we stream everything we want to watch? Maybe, but I don’t feel like paying for 10 different streaming services to accomplish that. It is only becoming worse as more and more networks want their own service which fragments the market and shrinks the libraries of other services. In my opinion the current trend is really only making it harder to watch all the things one might want. I feel like having a media collection is only going to become more relevant again. That’s hardly an offensive thought and I am not offended by your stance that streaming fills your needs.
Last edited by ChicoQuente on Jul 1st, 2020 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1429 posts
1145 upvotes
I store media for several reasons. Even if I belonged to Netflix, disney +, prime video, Hbo now and Hulu I still would not have access to all the media I want and cost me a fortune every month. There is also the issue of video compression which I simply cannot stand and the lossy audio along with it. So there are many reasons one would want to store their own media.

I have over 300 4k rips. Where am I going to stream that?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2069 posts
1360 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ChicoQuente wrote: I don’t understand why you’re so offended by the thought that people, myself included, do not agree with you and choose to store media. We use a lot of Netflix in our home but it certainly does not fill our needs in the slightest so we also collect media. Could we stream everything we want to watch? Maybe, but I don’t feel like paying for 10 different streaming services to accomplish that. It is only becoming worse as more and more networks want their own service which fragments the market and shrinks the libraries of other services. In my opinion the current trend is really only making it harder to watch all the things one might want. I feel like having a media collection is only going to become more relevant again. That’s hardly an offensive thought and I am not offended by your stance that streaming fills your needs.
Those are all good reasons why someone would want to store their media. Also, there's occurrences of some TV shows and movies being pulled from Netflix every now and then. We certainly don't want to depend on corporations to decide what we can watch and when. The other important reason for me is that I often store 2160p HEVC movies that have a much higher bitrate than Netflix 4K provides, and that extra bitrate makes a (although subtle) difference on a 65"+ TV especially with HDR.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
ChicoQuente wrote: I think your most recent post makes it clear whom the school system has failed. You do not even attempt to come close to proper grammar.

I don’t understand why you’re so offended by the thought that people, myself included, do not agree with you and choose to store media. We use a lot of Netflix in our home but it certainly does not fill our needs in the slightest so we also collect media. Could we stream everything we want to watch? Maybe, but I don’t feel like paying for 10 different streaming services to accomplish that. It is only becoming worse as more and more networks want their own service which fragments the market and shrinks the libraries of other services. In my opinion the current trend is really only making it harder to watch all the things one might want. I feel like having a media collection is only going to become more relevant again. That’s hardly an offensive thought and I am not offended by your stance that streaming fills your needs.
Well sir, your grammarly subscription sure is paying off. Or perhaps not, considering you edited your post twice to correct errors.

Pretentious much?