[Staples] NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player- $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 12:46 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2164 posts
1467 upvotes
Montreal, QC
T3rry wrote: Well sir, your grammarly subscription sure is paying off. Or perhaps not, considering you edited your post twice to correct errors.

Pretentious much?
Just some friendly tip for you but "and" and "or" should never succeed a comma in English and the same is true in French. That's just one example. Improving this might make your text easier to follow.
Last edited by willy0275 on Jul 1st, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1707 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
No need to try to 'sell' offline local playback to non-believer streamers. If youve tried it in the real world, you'll fail unless you're dealing with the technically astute.

Just enjoy your setup and the plethora of Usenet and VPN Hot Deal threads on RFD.

More streamers keeps the media giants happy and that's what we want.

P.S. I have Amazon Prime Video but prefer local playback for higher quality video and audio.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3818 posts
1287 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
T3rry wrote: Well sir, your grammarly subscription sure is paying off. Or perhaps not, considering you edited your post twice to correct errors.

Pretentious much?
I don’t know why I bother to engage an internet tough guy that likes to hurl insults for no good reason as per your response to @willy0275, but for the record I did not adjust grammar or spelling and added further information to my post. Regardless your ignorance has no added value in this thread so I am unsure why you continue to post. You have not made one meaningful post to the thread, simply insults and claims as to why your way is the only way.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3818 posts
1287 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
willy0275 wrote: Just some friendly tip for you but "and" and "or" should never succeed a comma in English, and the same is true in French. That's just one example. Improving this might make your text easier to follow.
I don’t believe numbers should take the place of letters either Grinning Face
Apr 20, 2018
119 posts
304 upvotes
b31770 wrote: What is real internet? Most people have had 300+ or 600+ speeds for a long time now.

Are these so-called streaming stuff in BR quality? Guess what, everyone has different needs. If low quality streaming sites work for you, you do you.
Using real-debrid links, I stream 4K remux movies that are 60 GB in size instantly. The age of storing data on drives feels so outdated to me it is crazy. Only reason I would ever do this, is if I plan on being somewhere with poor internet like a chalet, or different country..
You guys need to stop thinking that when we say that streaming is better, we are talking about netflix, disney + and all of this crap. Some apps provide all the existing content in existence, with all the highest possible qualities available to stream instantly.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1187 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
je190060 wrote: Using real-debrid links, I stream 4K remux movies that are 60 GB in size instantly. The age of storing data on drives feels so outdated to me it is crazy. Only reason I would ever do this, is if I plan on being somewhere with poor internet like a chalet, or different country..
You guys need to stop thinking that when we say that streaming is better, we are talking about netflix, disney + and all of this crap. Some apps provide all the existing content in existence, with all the highest possible qualities available to stream instantly.
That is fair. Everyone has a different way of consuming media.

Some people prefer to rip their own media. And some people work from home now and one or two family members streaming 4K movies would absolutely interfere with work video calls. Then there's the consideration of data caps. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal circumstances and decision.

To each their own. I think the responses precipitated from the other person saying people should not have a media collection.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2164 posts
1467 upvotes
Montreal, QC
je190060 wrote: Using real-debrid links, I stream 4K remux movies that are 60 GB in size instantly. The age of storing data on drives feels so outdated to me it is crazy. Only reason I would ever do this, is if I plan on being somewhere with poor internet like a chalet, or different country..
A good friend of mine had the same argument a few weeks back until his ISP went down for two hours in his area and ruined his family's movie night (learned this from his kids). Happens rarely but can't help myself sticking it to him every time. That's why old timers like me (and William Adama of the Battlestar Galactica) love having some offline option :twisted:
Apr 20, 2018
119 posts
304 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: A good friend of mine had the same argument a few weeks back until his ISP went down for two hours in his area and ruined his family's movie night (learned this from his kids). Happens rarely but can't help myself sticking it to him every time. That's why old timers like me (and William Adama of the Battlestar Galactica) love having some offline option :twisted:
That is a fair point mate, but this doesn't happen nearly often enough to warrant all the extra hassle required to maintain servers and files, even if jellyfin etc. automate a big part (for me at least)
But all the use cases you guys mention seems to require a small collection of movies or tv shows in the case of a movie night in a chalet (said earlier) or a movie night if the ISP gets down.
That is a fair point, but the thing that I find completely useless, is all of the data hoarders that have mountain of TB's of movies and tv shows for no apparent reason.
Most movies or TV shows that human watches will be watched what? 1-3 times? Why in the hell would I need to keep a copy of everything? There is no replayability in this field that justify hoarding stuff, if I want to rewatch james bond 1972 in 7 years, I'm better of redownloading it than just keeping it on countless servers in the case I ever rewatch it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1187 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
je190060 wrote: That is a fair point mate, but this doesn't happen nearly often enough to warrant all the extra hassle required to maintain servers and files, even if jellyfin etc. automate a big part (for me at least)
But all the use cases you guys mention seems to require a small collection of movies or tv shows in the case of a movie night in a chalet (said earlier) or a movie night if the ISP gets down.
That is a fair point, but the thing that I find completely useless, is all of the data hoarders that have mountain of TB's of movies and tv shows for no apparent reason.
Most movies or TV shows that human watches will be watched what? 1-3 times? Why in the hell would I need to keep a copy of everything? There is no replayability in this field that justify hoarding stuff, if I want to rewatch james bond 1972 in 7 years, I'm better of redownloading it than just keeping it on countless servers in the case I ever rewatch it.
Again, nothing wrong with what you said.

I think some people, like myself, treat this like a hobby, and as you are well aware, hobbies often don't make sense. I have a NAS and two drives anyways, so I haven't had to spend anything extra so far. Maybe if my collection gets big but it's pretty small as of now.

The kids have access to the movie collection and have been watching a movie a week during the lock down. It might not matter to some, but I prefer to have them see the personal movie collection rather than a list of all the movies that can be streamed at some streaming site - they don't need to scroll past The Purge lol. For those with a big family, or technically challenged family members, it's just easier to have a movie collection. When my wife says she wants to watch XYZ, I just tell her when the release date is, have it in the movie collection, and she just watches it whenever.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2164 posts
1467 upvotes
Montreal, QC
b31770 wrote: Again, nothing wrong with what you said.

I think some people, like myself, treat this like a hobby, and as you are well aware, hobbies often don't make sense. I have a NAS and two drives anyways, so I haven't had to spend anything extra so far. Maybe if my collection gets big but it's pretty small as of now.

The kids have access to the movie collection and have been watching a movie a week during the lock down. It might not matter to some, but I prefer to have them see the personal movie collection rather than a list of all the movies that can be streamed at some streaming site - they don't need to scroll past The Purge lol. For those with a big family, or technically challenged family members, it's just easier to have a movie collection. When my wife says she wants to watch XYZ, I just tell her when the release date is, have it in the movie collection, and she just watches it whenever.
At this point it's pretty much psychological. There's some people who love to buy Blu-ray movies and keep the boxes in a big bookshelf as a collection. I would never think of telling them that's "stupid because you could digitize them and save space". It's not about space or logic, same goes with collectors of anything.

One other aspect I like of having an offline library is that with Kodi, it will tell you what you've watched so far, can go automatically to the next show, can download subtitles for you, remember where you were when you interrupted a movie. You can also create bookmarks so that you can quickly come back to a scene to show someone. That feature has been useful to me a few times. I'd be surprised you could do all this with external links but maybe I'm just a geezer and I'm simply outdated Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1442 posts
1151 upvotes
I never found Kodi streaming to be reliable and often times poor quality (to most it is perfectly fine so for context Netflix is only ok quality) not to mention the hassle of consistently updating as the streams are taken down. Unless things have changed I found it to be a massive hassle for poor to average quality video. I had no problem spending $1000 on drives in order to view 4k the way it was meant to be seen.

I fully understand I am not the average viewer. Viewing on a 77" LG CX, did not spend that money to watch poor quality content.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2164 posts
1467 upvotes
Montreal, QC
slayerwulf wrote: I never found Kodi streaming to be reliable and often times poor quality (to most it is perfectly fine so for context Netflix is only ok quality) not to mention the hassle of consistently updating as the streams are taken down. Unless things have changed I found it to be a massive hassle for poor to average quality video. I had no problem spending $1000 on drives in order to view 4k the way it was meant to be seen.

I fully understand I am not the average viewer. Viewing on a 77" LG CX, did not spend that money to watch poor quality content.
My Kodi is connected to a network drive on my NAS so it's actually not really streaming but more like downloading. I get amazing quality with high bitrate (2160p HEVC, can top ~80Mbps) and never get any buffering problem even with skipping rapidly. (Actually did a test @ 120Mbps and it worked flawlessly, but such high bitrate is really rare in my experience). The overall experience depends more on hardware and network that Kodi sits on than Kodi itself.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1442 posts
1151 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: My Kodi is connected to a network drive on my NAS so it's actually not really streaming but more like downloading. I get amazing quality with high bitrate (2160p HEVC, can top ~80Mbps) and never get any buffering problem even with skipping rapidly. (Actually did a test @ 120Mbps and it worked flawlessly, but such high bitrate is really rare in my experience). The overall experience depends more on hardware and network that Kodi sits on than Kodi itself.
Yeah that is how I use it also. When I say streaming I am referring to those kodi addon for free content.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2164 posts
1467 upvotes
Montreal, QC
slayerwulf wrote: Yeah that is how I use it also. When I say streaming I am referring to those kodi addon for free content.
Oh gosh I tried that once, no thanks! Sometimes I use some add ons to try to get some sports (when there *was* sport) but even that is a real pain.
Apr 20, 2018
119 posts
304 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: At this point it's pretty much psychological. There's some people who love to buy Blu-ray movies and keep the boxes in a big bookshelf as a collection. I would never think of telling them that's "stupid because you could digitize them and save space". It's not about space or logic, same goes with collectors of anything.

One other aspect I like of having an offline library is that with Kodi, it will tell you what you've watched so far, can go automatically to the next show, can download subtitles for you, remember where you were when you interrupted a movie. You can also create bookmarks so that you can quickly come back to a scene to show someone. That feature has been useful to me a few times. I'd be surprised you could do all this with external links but maybe I'm just a geezer and I'm simply outdated Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Every single advantage you have mentionnent from offline library is available with my setup.
I can have multiple users on my app, and they all have their own 'trakt' account linked to it. This means they all have their own watchlist, collection of tv shows and movies, and they all can remmebr exactly where I stopped a tv show or a movie, and resume.
I can also make children accounts, that have a limited view of content that I choose, and cannot access any menues without a passcode.
The app is integrated in my android tv, so my non-techie girlfriend can just activate voice search on the home page of android tv, say a tv show or movie, and it will appear in the search and she can start it from there.
As for qualities, you guys can't seem to understant that ALL the amazing remux 4k hevc files you refer to watch with your precious expensive tv are also available to stream instantly, with integrated subtitles, etc.
I've been watching dolby vision 70GB movies for months, and never ever had to download a thing on an archaic server.