[Staples] NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player- $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 12:46 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2133 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal, QC
je190060 wrote: Every single advantage you have mentionnent from offline library is available with my setup.
I can have multiple users on my app, and they all have their own 'trakt' account linked to it. This means they all have their own watchlist, collection of tv shows and movies, and they all can remmebr exactly where I stopped a tv show or a movie, and resume.
I can also make children accounts, that have a limited view of content that I choose, and cannot access any menues without a passcode.
The app is integrated in my android tv, so my non-techie girlfriend can just activate voice search on the home page of android tv, say a tv show or movie, and it will appear in the search and she can start it from there.
As for qualities, you guys can't seem to understant that ALL the amazing remux 4k hevc files you refer to watch with your precious expensive tv are also available to stream instantly, with integrated subtitles, etc.
I've been watching dolby vision 70GB movies for months, and never ever had to download a thing on an archaic server.
Seems like a great setup, especially with a precious expensive TV Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1441 posts
1151 upvotes
je190060 wrote: Every single advantage you have mentionnent from offline library is available with my setup.
I can have multiple users on my app, and they all have their own 'trakt' account linked to it. This means they all have their own watchlist, collection of tv shows and movies, and they all can remmebr exactly where I stopped a tv show or a movie, and resume.
I can also make children accounts, that have a limited view of content that I choose, and cannot access any menues without a passcode.
The app is integrated in my android tv, so my non-techie girlfriend can just activate voice search on the home page of android tv, say a tv show or movie, and it will appear in the search and she can start it from there.
As for qualities, you guys can't seem to understant that ALL the amazing remux 4k hevc files you refer to watch with your precious expensive tv are also available to stream instantly, with integrated subtitles, etc.
I've been watching dolby vision 70GB movies for months, and never ever had to download a thing on an archaic server.
Could you pm me details? I would certainly give it another shot maybe it has improved. I would not say “archaic server” because while you are not hosting it locally the files are still on a server somewhere.

Also why do you have to say “precious expensive tv”?

I get you think your right but this is not one of those things where someone is right or wrong. Whats right is what works for that person.
Dec 26, 2006
937 posts
863 upvotes
crimsondr wrote: Tube version does not play 4K via Plex properly. If you use Plex for 4K get the pro version.
I didn't find the android Plex player very good either. It would crash playing 4K videos. I found the Plex addon for Kodi much more reliable. It can be configured to auto load the Plex addon when starting kodi so not much different usability wise running Kodi with Plex addon or Plex app. YMMV, but my .02.
Dec 26, 2006
937 posts
863 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: I think we're the only two RFD members with the Vero 4k+. I had the nVidia Shield TV tube but ended up selling it because I was only using it for streaming Youtube. But I can do the same thing with the Vero by 'sharing' (i.e. casting) from my phone via the Yatse app.

RE: Plex Server
You're right in that the Plex server allows you to watch with any device. You're not tied to watching on a single device. The device that's hosting the Plex Server is transcoding the video and streaming it to your device. I.e. Your device (e.g. phone) isn't doing the heavy lifting of processing the video. It's just receiving the video and playing it.

Btw, RFD is in love with the nVidia Shield as the be all and end all of media players. So we'll need to be careful of saying anything positive about the Vero 4k+ or face the wrath of RFD!
How do you like the Vero 4K+ ? Had considered it to stream 4K content from Plex server but went with ShieldTV 2019 Tube b/c it was more readily available.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3092 posts
309 upvotes
frugalcanuck wrote: I didn't find the android Plex player very good either. It would crash playing 4K videos. I found the Plex addon for Kodi much more reliable. It can be configured to auto load the Plex addon when starting kodi so not much different usability wise running Kodi with Plex addon or Plex app. YMMV, but my .02.
Just installed PlexKodiConnect and trying out native Kodi interface.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2133 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal, QC
frugalcanuck wrote: How do you like the Vero 4K+ ? Had considered it to stream 4K content from Plex server but went with ShieldTV 2019 Tube b/c it was more readily available.
I personally love it. It does *one* thing: Kodi. Goes straight in Kodi and has no other overhead as its built on a very skinny Linux distro. The software is tweaked constantly to make sure it's compatible with pretty much everytghing you throw at it.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1707 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
I've never used Plex before. Deliberate so I limit the amount of movies and TV viewing. Same reason, no 'streaming' of Netflix or Amazon Prime Video (even though I'm a Prime member). More control of viewing habits with local playback only.
I know RFD are huge fans of Plex and the Shield, so I'll tread carefully...

I got the Vero 4k+ in the fall 2018 because I wanted a near plug and play (and regularly self updating) Kodi box that would play very high bit rate 4k x265 ATMOS content smoothly on my local network. With age I dont have the same motivation of tinkering I used to. So I had high confidence in OSMC and the Vero because it's been led by the dev Sam who led Raspbmc and has continued to show extreme ownership as 1 throat to choke for all things OSMC and Vero. Back then I did consider nVidia Shield 2017, but didn't go for it because there were some issues back then. I'll leave it to others to do their on googling on what those 'issues' were/are.

If I were ever to buy a Shield again, I'd probably buy the Pro version so that I could stream Geforce games or Steam Link.

Kodi device comparison of it helps:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
TL;DR Vero 4k+, odroid n2, and nVidia Shield are top picks.
frugalcanuck wrote: How do you like the Vero 4K+ ? Had considered it to stream 4K content from Plex server but went with ShieldTV 2019 Tube b/c it was more readily available.
Last edited by Kursor17 on Jul 1st, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1183 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I actually never heard of the Vero 4K+ before today. I love tinkering but the price seems quite high at $189.xx as per today's PayPal conversion rate. I bought my Shield tube for $140 at Staples with coupon for reference. And my previous Shield, I bought it for $170 including the controller, which I'm still using currently.

Plus the Vero doesn't currently have wildvine support which results in less than optimal resolutions for Netflix, Youtube, Prime, etc,.

This isn't a knock at Vero 4K+, which from what I am reading is a very capable Kodi box, but as we spend only 15% of the time in Kodi, it just doesn't make sense for a main box.

For me, a dedicated Kodi box for a secondary TV needs to be $80 or less, else a Fire Stick 4K would suffice.
Apr 21, 2017
39 posts
25 upvotes
Hahaha what are you saying, sounds like some real high tech underground stuff you’ve got going on. Who’s covering the server costs to stream these 70 gigabyte movies to you?
Apr 20, 2018
119 posts
304 upvotes
McShane87 wrote: Hahaha what are you saying, sounds like some real high tech underground stuff you’ve got going on. Who’s covering the server costs to stream these 70 gigabyte movies to you?
Wow great argument man. You dismiss all of the features I mention only to point out to one single line that wasn't properly said. Great way to convince yourself that what I mentionned wasn't valid points. I much prefer to subsidize the server load to cloudfare and real-debrid, because at least, I only use server space when needed. The precise moment I watch a movie, I use servers. You, on the other end, you hoard tons of shows and movies, maybe even in various formats who knows, for the off chance of wanting to watch them someday.
Look if you want to keep hoarding files like the other guy said, because you just love it, you do you, but stop thinking it is in any way a better way to watch, nor does it provice anything better in term of video quality and audio quality.
Apr 21, 2017
39 posts
25 upvotes
je190060 wrote: Wow great argument man. You dismiss all of the features I mention only to point out to one single line that wasn't properly said. Great way to convince yourself that what I mentionned wasn't valid points. I much prefer to subsidize the server load to cloudfare and real-debrid, because at least, I only use server space when needed. The precise moment I watch a movie, I use servers. You, on the other end, you hoard tons of shows and movies, maybe even in various formats who knows, for the off chance of wanting to watch them someday.
Look if you want to keep hoarding files like the other guy said, because you just love it, you do you, but stop thinking it is in any way a better way to watch, nor does it provice anything better in term of video quality and audio quality.
Lol I wasn’t dismissing anything, I actually want to know what you’re talking about. Sounds too good to be true. Even buying straight from Apple wouldn’t get you instant streaming access to that high of quality. Understandable if you don’t want to explain here though.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1707 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
Back on topic, deal is warm. I bought for the same price in April and drove price down with coupon when stock was more limited due to manufacturing constraints due to covid. Manufacturing has since ramped up and stock is a lot more plentiful.

RE: real-debrid and streaming of high quality content
@T3rry and @je190060 Please help the RFD community by posting a separate dedicated thread in one of the appropriate forum section (Hot Deals, Ongoing Deal Discussion, or Computers & Electronics.

I pay ~$3USD/month for Usenet access to obtain the high quality content to be played locally, even though I have paid access to Amazon Prime. Most content I delete after viewing, handful I store (I don't have a cottage). So if there's a cheaper, easier for me to setup, reliable (i.e. no broken links, etc), and higher quality option with staying power (i.e. won't be shutdown), we'd all like to know.
Last edited by Kursor17 on Jul 2nd, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3092 posts
309 upvotes
My local server is a hobby of mine. It runs many things so fileserver is just one of it's many duties. HDD space is also cheap, no need for the fastest SSD or NVMe drives. So I don't have a problem storing all my content offline and I get higher quality videos that I personally enjoy.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1183 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I think a lot of people have moved on from the old days of Exodus and Kodi apps, VPN, and RD. The apps aren't always the most stable and things can change in a heartbeat. Anybody saying they have 100.00% uptime and zero inherent risk is being disingenuous.

Anybody can experiment themselves by googling troypoint. I won't say anything further but none of this is new and most have tried it and moved on.
Mar 1, 2016
540 posts
210 upvotes
crimsondr wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I've always used the official Plex app. Used Rokus for years and it was great until I tried to do subtitles with 4K and no transcoding. Bought the tube earlier this year and it seemed to work at first but then crashed out all the time. I've already purchased two pros and they're working great. I'll try the workaround on the Tube so hopefully it's not totally useless going forward.
had the same problem with my tube. Rma-ed it and the new one works flawlessly. For me issues were with 100 gig remuxes. Now they play flawlessly.

I tried the spmc route, the quality is definitely off for me compared to standalone plex.