Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Nvidia Shield Pro $229 - $10 sign up code = $219

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2022 9:17 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2021
7 posts
29 upvotes

[Staples] Nvidia Shield Pro $229 - $10 sign up code = $219

Sorry first post, please be gentle.

Was looking at a new streaming device for TV, noticed the Nvidia Shield Pro is on sale at Staples. When checking out I had a pop up for signing up to a newsletter that gave another $10 off bringing the total to $219. Based on my search this is the lowest price its been recently

Same price at best buy, but not sure if you get the $10 code.

Don't forget Rakuten for another 1%!
96 replies
Dec 6, 2017
117 posts
161 upvotes
Can you imagine any other tech 15% off 3.5 years after launch being considered a good deal? And yet I'm still tempted...
Oct 15, 2013
884 posts
1335 upvotes
I just got one recently for another tv after having the 2017 version for a few years.

Great device. I guess they don't get discounted that much as they are about the best you can get for this type of thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
4296 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
Don't bother with this, youtube HDR uses VP9.2 codec which this does not support, so none of it will play. Wait for updated hardware next year.

If you're only using it for plex then it's not bad but price should be under $200 for such old hardware.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1384 posts
2122 upvotes
Hammonds
HKPolice wrote: Don't bother with this, youtube HDR uses VP9.2 codec which this does not support, so none of it will play. Wait for updated hardware next year.

If you're only using it for plex then it's not bad but price should be under $200 for such old hardware.
I thought VP9.2 was going out the window 2 or 3 years ago when this released in favor of AV1 that it also doesn't support well/correctly.
Jun 17, 2019
156 posts
213 upvotes
I don't think this is worth $200+ in 2022, it's decent but unless you use it for gaming or as a Plex server, a fire stick is just as good for 1/4 of the price when on sale. The upscaling is not worth the premium, to me anyway. Nvidia are way overdue for a hardware update.
Nov 25, 2021
479 posts
834 upvotes
charliegee wrote: I just got one recently for another tv after having the 2017 version for a few years.

Great device. I guess they don't get discounted that much as they are about the best you can get for this type of thing.
Do you feel like the upgrade from the 2017 version is worth it? Meaningful difference?

I use it as an "all-in-one" box. Streaming and emulation as a retro box with an 8bitdo gamepad.
Sep 2, 2007
757 posts
258 upvotes
FYI for anyone who buys one.

The stand is available via 3D printing from many sources at half the price of Amazon and other retailers
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3464 posts
3973 upvotes
GVRD
Check out the many expired Shield threads for many Q&As.
Still a good product but it always has at least one feature that becomes lacking or problematic eventually.

Yes, a new version is about to be announced, and it's been about-to-be-announced for about 7 years!
It's still a leader and if really great prices were available, owners often add to their home collection of Shields.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2256 posts
1372 upvotes
Montreal
Every time this thing goes on sale I try to justify buying one and fail. Happy about that. Wallet safe.

Anyway whenever a new one is released I can't imagine it's going to be much more expensive than this 3-4 year old model. It would be painful to buy now and see that happen in a few of months...
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
4296 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
Ruciz wrote: I thought VP9.2 was going out the window 2 or 3 years ago when this released in favor of AV1 that it also doesn't support well/correctly.
AV1 hardware decoding is still relatively new. None of qualcomm's chips support it yet (coming 2023) but it is in some Exynos, Mediatek Dimensity & google tensor chips.

Youtube won't force AV1 until even the lowest end devices support it so VP9 & VP9.2 are here to stay for a while.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
3144 posts
3020 upvotes
GTA
Dandada wrote: Showing OOS
Yup, OOS for me as well (and not sold in stores).

This is a nice to have piece of equipment. The powerful chip makes for smooth navigation and things are just not slow.

Unless you have hardcore needs like 4k Remux videos running on Plex, its just a bit of luxury and nothing wrong with that given we expect it to last many years.
There are people with older models who still dont have a real reason to upgrade, its a good piece of tech.

Think your buying a Lexus instead of a Kia. The Kia gets you there, nothing wrong with it, but the Lexus is just nicer. That's all.

One annoying thing (and it's Google's fault), are the ads on the new home screen/launcher. They have turned Android TV platform devices into another advertising platform and there's little customization to it. Just a heads up.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2506 posts
2291 upvotes
Starting to get really hard to up these at over $200. Apple tv has better specs with no ads for less, runs plex even better too. All you miss is grey market apps like kodi (iptv works) and apple tv transcodes hd audio to pcm. the chromecast with google tv also comes way too close to a shield to justify the price imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1666 posts
2661 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: Starting to get really hard to up these at over $200. Apple tv has better specs with no ads for less, runs plex even better too. All you miss is grey market apps like kodi (iptv works) and apple tv transcodes hd audio to pcm. the chromecast with google tv also comes way too close to a shield to justify the price imo.
Is Apple TV really better? A few things that are must for me. I use it for playing content from a Plex server,
- will Plex Player will play 4K content?
- the box must support all audio formats including DTS pass through. Old fireTV would not support this. Does AppleTV support DTS passthrough?

ShieldTV meets these criteria for me and it's been great. Even the tube version works well for my use case.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1756 posts
488 upvotes
GTA
I love being able to use YouTube and twitch ad free with the right android apps.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9620 posts
9112 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: Starting to get really hard to up these at over $200. Apple tv has better specs with no ads for less, runs plex even better too. All you miss is grey market apps like kodi (iptv works) and apple tv transcodes hd audio to pcm. the chromecast with google tv also comes way too close to a shield to justify the price imo.
This. Unfortunately, if you are stuck on the Android eco system, Shield Pro is the best there is. Unless you treat your streaming device as a standalone system.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1407 posts
911 upvotes
Chromecast with google tv has entered the chat
May 20, 2015
176 posts
165 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Solid device and really like it. But feel like it's showing it age a bit and still cost quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2555 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
bilaliz wrote: Chromecast with google tv has entered the chat
You're lost.