Shopping Discussion

staples only do maximum $50 off for price match?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2009 5:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 13, 2005
11 posts
4 upvotes

staples only do maximum $50 off for price match?

Garmin 255W

Staples $299.96
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

Bestbuy $199.99
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... &langid=EN

I went to the following staples in Edmonton for price match, and it has in stock. But its manager Jane told me that staples only do maximum $50 off for price match. is that true? ridiculous staples... sucks...

Staples Edmonton
Strathcona
6510 Gateway Boulevard
T6H 5Z5
Hours: M-F 8-9pm;Sat 9-6pm;Sun 11-5pm
Tel. 780-414-1601
18 replies
Nov 16, 2006
617 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
Wow talk about the deal not the complaint. Try another Staples.
Sep 5, 2007
428 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
From what I know that is not true. But I think the 10% of the difference can not exceed a value of $50.
Jul 13, 2007
421 posts
389 upvotes
Vancouver
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/static ... pricematch

Price Match

WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD! 110% PRICE GUARANTEE

If you find a lower advertised price on an in-stock new identical item from an Authorized Canadian dealer, now or within 30 days of your purchase (14 days on computers and laptops), just show us the price. We will match it and give you 10% of the difference as a credit to your purchase (maximum $50 credit)!

so you should get the 10$ or whatever it is.......
Apr 30, 2009
100 posts
3 upvotes
She is wrong. the $50 limit is the 10% difference not the price difference. for example if they are selling a laptop for $1600 and BB selling the same for $1000
that means they should sell it to you for $1000 - 10% (1600-1000) = $940 here the limit comes to the picture they will sell it to you for $950.

Staples will do everything possible to avoid price match
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
zozo wrote: Staples will do everything possible to avoid price match
i'd tend to strongly agree if this was back in the 150% PM days
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Jun 3, 2009
116 posts
29 upvotes
I found that the Gateway Boulevard store had always been the one with the poorest service. The people in the downtown Edmonton Staples had been definitely more friendly than these guys.

I called them last week and I got attitude from one of the reps since it was about to leave and wouldn't let me talk to the manager unless I called back. Why not forward it directly to him? Or better yet, pass the phone!

The rep was so lazy, he didn't want to go check the store stock so he lied and said that they didn't have any in stock so he could hang up and then I asked him to go check what the price of the item should be. When he went to check, he found out it was in stock!

I would avoid this location at all costs.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1729 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
coffeelox wrote: Garmin 255W

Staples $299.96

Bestbuy $199.99

I went to the following staples in Edmonton for price match, and it has in stock. But its manager Jane told me that staples only do maximum $50 off for price match. is that true? ridiculous staples... sucks...
Sounds familiar. Some poorly trained new managers by the sound of it. Maybe their instructor (if they have a manager training centre) doesn't know what she's talking about and is spreading her own ignorance. (I say "she" as the vast majority of their managers seem to be female).

FWIW the price cut should be 110% of $100 = $110, only $10 of which is the actual credit - well under their $50 limit.
Jan 17, 2006
929 posts
267 upvotes
Mississauga
Brilliante wrote: I called them last week and I got attitude from one of the reps since it was about to leave and wouldn't let me talk to the manager unless I called back. Why not forward it directly to him? Or better yet, pass the phone!
Every staples store has a 640 or 641 extension that is answered by the manager on duty, they carry a cordless phone with them... next time try that...
Apr 30, 2007
942 posts
290 upvotes
Edmonton
coffeelox wrote: Garmin 255W

Staples $299.96

Bestbuy $199.99

Staples Edmonton
Strathcona
6510 Gateway Boulevard
T6H 5Z5
Hours: M-F 8-9pm;Sat 9-6pm;Sun 11-5pm
Tel. 780-414-1601
You should go back and slap her in the face with a pack of 100 hundred dollar bills and teach her how to read and do math. The 10% of difference cannot exceed $50. If she still can't... get her to call customer service to figure out for her.
Price Error + Coupon Code + Free Upgrades = RFD !!!!!!!
Aug 5, 2007
190 posts
24 upvotes
A manager at the downtown staples did that to me once when I price matched a logitech remote, saying the difference is more than 50$ so no 110% difference.. I was in a hurry that day so I did not have time to argue, but I came back the next day with a printed copy of the policy and read it to him 15 or so times till the other employee told him that I am right haha.
Oct 26, 2008
105 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
When I tried to price match Staples with tigerdirect.ca, the manager downtown Windsor (on Ouellette) refused give me price match, he said sorry he could not give me price match because tigerdirect.ca is an online store, staples does not price match with online stores. I said to him tigerdirect.ca is not an online store, tigerdirect.ca has stores locating in Toronto and Missisauga. Then staples' manager replied: tigerect is a warehouse, and staples does not match with warehouse. I got 7 items my cart (2 price match), and I ended up buying nothing. I went home, got online and read Staples' price match poilcy, then called Staple asked them about price match policy, the Staple CR told me that Staples do price match with tigerdirect and he doesn't know why the manager refused so. He told me he will contact the Windsor store manager to find out and have them get back to me. It has been almost 3 weeks, no one from Staple called me.

See, how Staples' store manager lied/twisted and made up all the stories just to refuse to give me a price match. I've stayed away from that store since then.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
bender2k wrote: A manager at the downtown staples did that to me once when I price matched a logitech remote, saying the difference is more than 50$ so no 110% difference.. I was in a hurry that day so I did not have time to argue, but I came back the next day with a printed copy of the policy and read it to him 15 or so times till the other employee told him that I am right haha.
LOL... 15 times?

-------
findgooddeal wrote: When I tried to price match Staples with tigerdirect.ca, the manager downtown Windsor (on Ouellette) refused give me price match, he said sorry he could not give me price match because tigerdirect.ca is an online store, staples does not price match with online stores. I said to him tigerdirect.ca is not an online store, tigerdirect.ca has stores locating in Toronto and Missisauga. Then staples' manager replied: tigerect is a warehouse, and staples does not match with warehouse. I got 7 items my cart (2 price match), and I ended up buying nothing. I went home, got online and read Staples' price match poilcy, then called Staple asked them about price match policy, the Staple CR told me that Staples do price match with tigerdirect and he doesn't know why the manager refused so. He told me he will contact the Windsor store manager to find out and have them get back to me. It has been almost 3 weeks, no one from Staple called me.

See, how Staples' store manager lied/twisted and made up all the stories just to refuse to give me a price match. I've stayed away from that store since then.
^ i would've called back to find out WTH's going on...
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Nov 4, 2007
20 posts
3 upvotes
I just did a price match for the same garmin with staples in truro NS 3 weeks ago - was over a $100 price reduction and then the 10% off plus a $20 coupon on top of that!
Sep 27, 2007
166 posts
4 upvotes
Saint-Leonard
When I bring up the BestBuy link on page 1, I get the price of $219.99. Is that the correct link? Has the price changed already?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
966 upvotes
Victoria
Staples has by far the worst customer service of the big box stores...I dont shop there for that reason.
Nov 17, 2007
317 posts
222 upvotes
I tried to price match at Staples at west Broadway location, and the tech sales guy was a big prick. He refused the PM because he said there wasn't any stock, even thought the futureshop website he pointed out infront of me showed online stock of "QTY: 6".

I told him the difference was $10 dollars AND THAT changed his mind. He thought the telus prepaid phone i was buying was a expensive "nice phone" and the difference was big. When he finally approved the PM he acted above holy, as he was bending the rules for me.

Biggest douche ever, Staples really knows how to pick their employees. :mad:
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11140 posts
1741 upvotes
Edmonton
The Strathcona store in Edmonton has always had a bit of an issue honoring legit PMs.

I've also run into problems with them refusing to sell computers without the 'tech setup' fees tacked on.

I'll skip paying $100+ for a recovery CD burned and some windows updates done thank you.
Mar 10, 2005
375 posts
99 upvotes
the magager at lasalle(montreal) staples told me that each store have its own price match policy, and that his one is that there is no price match in his store.

I sent an email to staples, and after a month, still no response.
I will never go to staples again.

this is the staples that dont have price match garantee.
Staples Lasalle
Lasalle
7097 Newman Boulevard
Be aware