• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2017 5:10 pm
[OP]
Jan 18, 2011
109 posts
197 upvotes
montreal

[Staples] Printer OfficeJet 8710 - 81$

Staples is selling Office Jet 8710 at 81$. I believe they do the same discount often, but 81$ is the lowest i've seen.

great printer, bought one a couple months ago, does the job and can't go wrong for the price.

original price: 230$
Duplex version (2 sided printing & scanning)

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Officejet-P ... CA_1_20001
9 replies
Apr 29, 2013
434 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
I've been looking at this model for a while now and while the price is very attractive, I can't find any cheap ink cartridge options. My printer that broke recently (OfficeJet Pro 8610) had full ink packs (black + colours) from 3rd party sellers for around 30$. Is it just because this is a newer model and I'll eventually be able to find 3rd party cartridges for cheap or is there something about the cartridges or printer that prevents non HP ink cartridges from working?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3706 posts
677 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I got this a few months ago for $99 (so the "retail" price I think is bogus). Very nice printer/scanner combo. Works well with Linux too.
Feb 23, 2017
320 posts
290 upvotes
goubagouba wrote: I've been looking at this model for a while now and while the price is very attractive, I can't find any cheap ink cartridge options. My printer that broke recently (OfficeJet Pro 8610) had full ink packs (black + colours) from 3rd party sellers for around 30$. Is it just because this is a newer model and I'll eventually be able to find 3rd party cartridges for cheap or is there something about the cartridges or printer that prevents non HP ink cartridges from working?
Get HP instant ink...it ends up being much cheaper.
Nov 26, 2014
80 posts
424 upvotes
Montreal, QC
goubagouba wrote: I've been looking at this model for a while now and while the price is very attractive, I can't find any cheap ink cartridge options. My printer that broke recently (OfficeJet Pro 8610) had full ink packs (black + colours) from 3rd party sellers for around 30$. Is it just because this is a newer model and I'll eventually be able to find 3rd party cartridges for cheap or is there something about the cartridges or printer that prevents non HP ink cartridges from working?
HP began putting stickers on some printer boxes (bottom of the front side) saying that future software updates may render 3rd party cartridges unusable. I don't know specifically what HP might do, but it's been a cat-and-mouse game between HP and the 3rd party cartridge makers for some time now. You might want to consider Instant Ink, it's probably the best value for most people.
:facepalm: Common fallacies! Canadian pricing is the same as US pricing with FX and tax. Ink is more expensive than a new printer. LTE is 4G. Macs are more secure.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3706 posts
677 upvotes
Newbury, ON
If you use your printer often, then instant ink can be a good deal. They basically let you pick your usage level and ship you ink on a time based interval. There is a gotcha and I believe the older ink they shipped you before do expire - use it or lose it.
I don't print often with it as I have a main laser. So once a month print to keep the heads from drying up and buy the cheapest HP ink I can find when I need it.
This one is nicer then most HP ones in that the black is separate from colours. Others that combine colours for black force you to replace all ink cartridges when one of them runs out.
Banned
Oct 13, 2015
1245 posts
826 upvotes
Sainte-Dorothee, QC
It is quite big printer, looks like a laser printer.
How much for replacing its ink? But it is OOS already.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2085 posts
1501 upvotes
I believe HP is also giving 6 months of instant ink for free.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2538 posts
958 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
I see it now listed at $79.65. What concerns me is this statement: "Dynamic Security Enabled Printer: ink cartridge authentication system ensures quality of customer experience through use of original HP cartridges with security chips. Cartridges using a non-HP chip may not work." I take that to mean you can no longer use remanufactured ink cartridges? It sounds like you really can only use HP cartridges. Possibly refill your own if your HP cartridge runs out? I don't know. I've had lots of success with remanufactured cartridges and they're way cheaper. I guess this is for all HP printers now :( So much for the "quality of customer experience" for me.
So let it be e-mailed...so let it be done!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2917 posts
1706 upvotes
Montreal
Awjvail wrote: I believe HP is also giving 6 months of instant ink for free.
Code 3MONTHS gives you 3 months and the printer comes with 3 months. They stack too. so 6 months indeed.