Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Refurb Unlocked Blackberry Leap $159 (as cheap as $134 with coupons)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2017 5:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1760 posts
4920 upvotes

[Staples] Refurb Unlocked Blackberry Leap $159 (as cheap as $134 with coupons)

Staples is selling Refurbished Unlocked Blackberry Leap Phones for $159. Stack this with a $15 or $25 off coupon and you could be paying as low as $134+tax. Deal is online only:

http://www.staples.ca/en/BlackBerry-Lea ... roductInfo

Amazon is selling the Leap for $300 brand new, so if you don't mind having a refurb, this is a pretty good deal.
[removed]

Staples is also selling the Z30 Refurbs for $139:
http://www.staples.ca/en/BlackBerry-Z30 ... CA_1_20001
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 24th, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: non-RFD affiliate link removed
28 replies
Sep 20, 2015
243 posts
170 upvotes
The cows are everywh…
I'm not very knowledgeable of the bb world. I bought a q10 off Kijiji as a temporary replacement during the summer, apps were honest to God, complete​ shit. Is that because the phone was old or is this a bb thing where common apps like Facebook and Instagram aren't greatly supported?
signature removed for being inappropriate
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1197 posts
1504 upvotes
Montreal
Boomhauerr wrote: I'm not very knowledgeable of the bb world. I bought a q10 off Kijiji as a temporary replacement during the summer, apps were honest to God, complete​ shit. Is that because the phone was old or is this a bb thing where common apps like Facebook and Instagram aren't greatly supported?
If you didn't like the Q10, you probably won't like the Leap. Your issue is with the poorly supported BlackBerry OS. Newer BlackBerry devices (from the Priv onward) run Android.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Not a bad deal (even considering the lo-res screen, ancient processor, and crappy battery life endurance rating), if you absolutely have to have a Blackberry, and you only need it for email, text and calling. I'm currently using a Z30. The Leap may or may not be an upgrade from the Z30, but with Whatsapp dropping OS10, I'm not investing another dollar on OS10 hardware, which is a shame because I really quite like the HUB.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4024 posts
1557 upvotes
Montreal
Do yourself a favour and just say no.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1357 posts
1343 upvotes
GT!! wrote: Do yourself a favour and just say no.
Why? I have a Z30 and I love it. Blackberry makes pretty good phones, and this is a really great price. I'm tempted to get one for my mom (she doesn't do a lot of advanced stuff on a phone).

However, it's true that the Blackberry OS is a big pain for anyone who likes to use tons of apps. That's why I'm switching to a DTEK50 soon (Android based).
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7227 upvotes
I come from an era where phones were dumb, no online application store, no extendable feature, no video playback. These days, BB10 devices are a step more extendable than those phones, but not quite like Android and iOS-based devices.

So, the advice I would give is: Consider the features that's already on the $134 phone, ignore the BB World apps <momentarily>. Now ask, do the built-in features justify the $134 price tag. Then, ask, do you need any other features?

I use a BB Passport for work, and paid for it myself. To me, that's exactly how I like my work phone; no social media stuff, no distraction.

For most people though, it probably makes more sense to just get a budget Android phone (if you're on a budget)...something like an LG G4 could be good (with later revisions that do not bootloop). (My wife's G4 is from a Nov 2015 batch...no bootloop issue).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
Do yourself a favour and get a Moto G4 Play
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
chatbox wrote: I come from an era where phones were dumb, no online application store, no extendable feature, no video playback. These days, BB10 devices are a step more extendable than those phones, but not quite like Android and iOS-based devices.

So, the advice I would give is: Consider the features that's already on the $134 phone, ignore the BB World apps <momentarily>. Now ask, do the built-in features justify the $134 price tag. Then, ask, do you need any other features?

I use a BB Passport for work, and paid for it myself. To me, that's exactly how I like my work phone; no social media stuff, no distraction.

For most people though, it probably makes more sense to just get a budget Android phone (if you're on a budget)...something like an LG G4 could be good (with later revisions that do not bootloop). (My wife's G4 is from a Nov 2015 batch...no bootloop issue).
Might be hard pressed to find even a refurb G4 for $134 though
RFDQ1016 wrote: Do yourself a favour and get a Moto G4 Play
But I've yet to find another OS that does email as well and reliably as BB OS10.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2009
1030 posts
510 upvotes
Halifax
Rogido wrote: Might be hard pressed to find even a refurb G4 for $134 though

But I've yet to find another OS that does email as well and reliably as BB OS10.
Why not just get a good Android device and add BlackBerry Hub application?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11730 posts
4464 upvotes
For basic phone, text and mail it's fine. Browser is fine also.

No updates and not many apps updating anymore though.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11730 posts
4464 upvotes
sonician wrote: Why not just get a good Android device and add BlackBerry Hub application?
Yes - Android HUB is excellent. Using it on my phone.
Mar 24, 2015
429 posts
297 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
kool1 wrote: For basic phone, text and mail it's fine. Browser is fine also.

No updates and not many apps updating anymore though.
I have had lousy luck with the browser on my z30 lately, decided I'm going to jump to Android.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4440 posts
869 upvotes
Edmonton
The phone is indeed old but makes an excellent phone and it's a good price. If you expect the device to entertain you best to look else where.

Asking if there is good games or apps of a blackberry is like asking a guy who drives a jacked up diesel truck how good the fuel mileage is on the thing. There is a reason they haul around slip tanks..
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6129 upvotes
Toronto
Don't waste your money. This is running BB10, a dead OS. I am a long time BB10 user who recently switched to Android, absolutely no regrets. You can also run Blackberry Hub software on Android for a $1.50 monthly subscription.

At this point if you listed this phone on Kijjiji you would have trouble getting $70 for it.
Sep 2, 2007
667 posts
119 upvotes
BC
only good if you are buying it as a collection item at this stage. but then , if it may not come with original box so its collective value diminishes somewhat. not recommend.
Aug 5, 2011
115 posts
117 upvotes
HAMILTON
Avoid

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's worth having

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)