Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

(Router) Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 ($280-$289)

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 5:52 am
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
taank wrote: Folks I really want a good router. Our house is 4000 SQ Feet. I need something for my smart home, YouTube, gaming etc. Should I wait for WIFI 6 or buy this beast ?
If you can wait, I'd wait. If you can't, you can't. This one is probably a good buy.

WiFi 6 is improved all around compared to 5, not just bandwidth as mentioned here over and over. (including on OP's point 8 and potentially 9)

The major benefit(s) isn't really about "speed"; It'll work a lot better in crowded wifi areas (like condos), it'll handle higher number of connections better (thanks to OFMDA) and also should improve battery life of devices (which won't apply much now as very few of them are on wifi6) - and also WPA3 is a big thing security wise.

But then again, if you can wait, might try to wait for WiFi6E, and that's not like "at this pace I'm waiting forever" kind of thing. Considering the from n(4) to ac(5) to ax(5) we had roughly 5-6 years apart, 6E should be arriving by the end of this year, and getting into the shelves by next year-ish.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Dec 24, 2006
496 posts
254 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: 20. Absolutely, this router will destroy all your enemies
Geez, you weren't kidding - looks like it belongs on Sauron's head.
Jun 7, 2017
680 posts
2770 upvotes
ON
I would buy a high end 802.11ac and keep using it until Wifi 6e.
6Ghz would be a big change not 802.11ax.

The only Wifi 6 device I have right now is a 2020 iPad Pro. I can’t see the benefit of getting a wifi6 for an iPad.
the chipmaker Broadcom has announced a Wi-Fi 6E mobile chip. Qualcomm has said that it’s ready to support 6GHz Wi-Fi in next-gen wireless products. And Intel said it’ll have chips ready for January 2021.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
crazyb0y wrote: Do you guys think if i buy from bestbuy and ask for price match they will do it? I dont want to drive 40km to pick it up
Yeah If you can show that there is stock in a staples nearby, they will match it for $299 not $289.
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
273 posts
112 upvotes
jacky190424 wrote: I asked someone should I upgrade from Google OnHub Ac1900 to AC86U but someone said I should stay with Google OnHub Ac1900
because it has 1GB RAM, it's better than ASUS AC86U, it only has 512MB RAM

Is it true?
I also want to know.
I also have the Google Onhub AC1900
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
kevinc999 wrote: I also want to know.
I also have the Google Onhub AC1900
This router has a quad-core ARM CPU clocked at 1.8ghz + 1gig of ram + 256mb of flash. Setting aside the raw computational power this router has, this router is also a few classes above the Google AC1900. This isn't really a comparable. In short, yes this router is a lot better than your google router.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2528 posts
1241 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I cannot even begin to convince myself I need this, but I still upvoted. Great price on a top end router.
Jan 21, 2017
569 posts
427 upvotes
mtlboy wrote: Does staples ever restock during a sale? Don't feel like driving 45m to one to get it.
Careful with the phantom in-store stock from Staples. I had my 86U order cancelled because it was out of stock at the store I selected even though it was showing as available for pick up in 2 hrs. Two days later, it was still showing as available for pick up at the store I originally selected. So I chatted with them online and was told that most stores (in my area?) were out of stock and it was only available online. After I was done chatting, I called the store directly and the manager confirmed that if CS said it was out of stock at his store, it was probably true. He says they currently don't have staff taking care of shipping/receiving so the stock availability shown on their website is not accurate at this time.

I should also mention that if you buy something and you pick it up at one of their stores, you will have to wait until stores re-open before you can return your item (and get your money back). That said, they will honor their 14-day return policy on electronics from the day stores re-open so you're protected in that sense. I had to go through 5 online chats with CS before finally being told this. I had been given 2 different pick up dates but of course, no driver ever showed up. They only do pick ups if you bought the item online and had it delivered to your address.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
2325 posts
1186 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anikiri wrote: This router has a quad-core ARM CPU clocked at 1.8ghz + 1gig of ram + 256mb of flash. Setting aside the raw computational power this router has, this router is also a few classes above the Google AC1900. This isn't really a comparable. In short, yes this router is a lot better than your google router.
But Google AC1900 has 1.4Ghz + 1GB RAM + 4GB Flash...
Aug 14, 2009
494 posts
812 upvotes
AB
Having read a bit about the GT, I'd still recommend an RT unless you're a gamer and you're absolutely certain you'll never spend the five minutes or less it takes even the least technical user to download and flash Merlin. Too many options in Merlin to sacrifice compatibility. IMO. Also, there seems to be a lot of chatter about instability of the stock firmware on the GT on SNB etc, so while some here have said it's stable, that doesn't seem to be everyone's experience.
Dec 10, 2010
772 posts
777 upvotes
GTA
Bought this back in Feb when Staples and Bestbuy had it for $299 and with my Beanfield 1gbps a second i am getting solid 500-600mbps wifi and 700 up and 900 down wired. Solid and reliable - makes stay at home work steady and less stressful!
Nov 17, 2010
401 posts
448 upvotes
Ugh. Why did I see this. I have been struggling with my current router dropping my best cameras and getting 10 emails a day reminding me.

Bought one for pickup in Burlington and already received my confirmation email that pick up is ready. Thanks op.
Nov 28, 2010
341 posts
129 upvotes
I'm contemplating between a few options right now and hoping to get a few suggestions. We have a 3 story 2100sqft home:

I ordered this covr mesh system : https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... k/13579206

Then I saw this beautiful post, but I have also been eyeing the Nighthawk AX-8. Found here. I can't find any direct comparisons. So I am here looking for some advice. Thanks
Nov 17, 2010
401 posts
448 upvotes
Looks like your routers are like the 3 little pigs. DLink Covr is not the greatest (I'm moving from it to this Asus). I find the coverage to be spotty and the firmware hasn't been updated in years.

The Nighthawk is more expensive and probably has more than you need. Whereas this Asus rivals it in quality and is $100 less. I may be biased as I am just on my way to pick up the Asus but that seems to be the right fit in between your two other options.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
2325 posts
1186 upvotes
Richmond Hill
All of my order got cancelled in Staple because they dont have the product....
Best Buy declined the PM since online is out of stock...dxck best buy
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
273 posts
112 upvotes
jacky190424 wrote: But Google AC1900 has 1.4Ghz + 1GB RAM + 4GB Flash...
Are you still getting it or sticking with the Google Onhub?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
2325 posts
1186 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kevinc999 wrote: Are you still getting it or sticking with the Google Onhub?
I just got two GT-AC5300, I am facing issue already, the AiMesh doesn't work.
Same as my previous experience in N66U, ASUS router stock firmware has so much problem.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1255 posts
2075 upvotes
Vancouver
I picked one up and did some speedtest.net

Not really impressed with the performance though. I have Telus 940MB at home and here are my results.

Before (with RT-AC86U)
- tested in the same room as the router
-- Macbook Pro 13 (2020) : 455Mbps down / 220Mbps up
-- Lenovo Flex 14 (2019) : 381Mbps down / 458 Mbps up

- tested 2 rooms away from the router
-- Lenovo Flex 14 (2019) : 276Mbps down / 217 Mbps up

After (with GT-AC5300)
- tested in the same room as the router
-- Macbook Pro 13 (2020) : 559Mbps down / 230Mbps up
-- Lenovo Flex 14 (2019) : 402Mbps down / 447 Mbps up

- tested 2 rooms away from the router
-- Lenovo Flex 14 (2019) : 342Mbps down / 180 Mbps up

With both routers at both locations, ping was 2-3ms.

I think I'll stay with AC86U for another few years until AX becomes widely adapted.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)