Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor 120HZ 5120 x 1440

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 11:14 am
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
91 posts
144 upvotes

[Staples] Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor 120HZ 5120 x 1440

Great opportunity to get a curved high refresh rate monitor. No need to wait for the discount of the newer model Odessey G9, as the only difference between the two are the curvature and refresh rate. Even with the coming RTX3080Ti, it's hard to push 3A titles beyond 120HZ. So why not buy it and start playing now? If you are working from home you might also buy it for work and get the potential tax deduction next year.
36 replies
Feb 19, 2017
536 posts
382 upvotes
Good price. Not sure about VA use in such a wide panel though.

This is basically 2 1440p panels in 1. I think I'd rather get a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel as a main panel, and then a second less expensive 1440p panel for when I need the extra real estate - that would still be cheaper than this, both to buy and to operate (if you don't often need the second panel turned on). But having less cable clutter and one continuous screen definitely has its appeal.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
91 posts
144 upvotes
50centdollars wrote: Good price. Not sure about VA use in such a wide panel though.

This is basically 2 1440p panels in 1. I think I'd rather get a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel as a main panel, and then a second less expensive 1440p panel for when I need the extra real estate - that would still be cheaper than this, both to buy and to operate (if you don't often need the second panel turned on). But having less cable clutter and one continuous screen definitely has its appeal.
VA panel combines the advantages of both TN (low latency and high refresh rate) and IPS (more accurate color and wide viewing angle). It was supposed to be an improvement (or compromise) to both. I’m not sure if all titles support displaying on two separate monitors at the same time. But for about $400 more (compared to 2 2K 120Hz monitor) this aesthetic pleasant beast saves you a lot of trouble of setup and won’t let you down performance wide.
Sep 27, 2009
398 posts
64 upvotes
The g9 odessy is coming out next month which is probably why the price is dropping on this one
Nov 13, 2017
229 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
don't want to be a jerk here but I can get a decent gaming desktop with that money : (
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
91 posts
144 upvotes
Y2K_MASTER wrote: The g9 odessy is coming out next month which is probably why the price is dropping on this one
If you want more curvature (probably already excessive for some people) and even higher refresh rate, then wait for G9. But for many people who want a good discount, I don’t see too much of a reason to skip this one.
Oct 1, 2017
323 posts
410 upvotes
RosalynG779926 wrote: don't want to be a jerk here but I can get a decent gaming desktop with that money : (
Not one that could drive this monitor worth a damn.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
91 posts
144 upvotes
RosalynG779926 wrote: don't want to be a jerk here but I can get a decent gaming desktop with that money : (
A good gaming desktop deserves a high end gaming monitor:)
Dec 1, 2012
431 posts
511 upvotes
VANCOUVER
zobblplatz wrote: Not one that could drive this monitor worth a damn.
Apparently a $1399 gaming desktop is not decent enough to run that monitor in full potential.
Dec 1, 2012
431 posts
511 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Y2K_MASTER wrote: The g9 odessy is coming out next month which is probably why the price is dropping on this one
G9 was recalled recently though.
Oct 1, 2017
323 posts
410 upvotes
chongsen wrote: Apparently a $1399 gaming desktop is not decent enough to run that monitor in full potential.
$1399 gets you maybe a 2060. That’s not going to get you 120hz performance on this monitor on anything but ancient games and Microsoft word.

7.3 million pixels on this display, almost as much as a 4k panel.

You’re obviously free to buy whatever you want, but pairing this monitor with a low-mid end gaming PC would be a huge waste.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2071 posts
2619 upvotes
yughred wrote: VA panel combines the advantages of both TN (low latency and high refresh rate) and IPS (more accurate color and wide viewing angle).
False information.

Consumer grade IPS monitors had 3ms GtG years ago, LG's new nano IPS is only 1ms / 0.5ms GtG. Whereas the latest 240Hz VA monitors (MAG272CRX CRG5 etc. ) still have 4ms GtG. And ghosting is still a problem because of the nature of the pixels - Vertical Alignment without voltage.

In terms color, VA has much better deep blacks and high contrast.

To anyone who's interested: same your money and wait for cheaper OLED monitors.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Sep 27, 2009
398 posts
64 upvotes
chongsen wrote: G9 was recalled recently though.
Oh I didn't see that. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
91 posts
144 upvotes
Oled is vulnerable to burn-out and is not suitable to display static images, which is the most common use case for a monitor. Plus OLED is usually dinner than the other panels. You’d be better off if you simply buy an OLED TV on Black Friday. For those who want a 32:9 ultra wide display for an immersive gaming experience, VA panel is the only choice. High end VA has decent color Saturation and less ghost imaging. And because of the curvature everything is right in front of you, viewing angle becomes less of an issue.

Which monitor you choose depends solely on your use case and budget. There is no perfect solution(if there’s one it’s not currently affordable, like micro led).
Sep 1, 2008
279 posts
173 upvotes
Dazog wrote: It's a curved panel and you sit IN front of it..

WHY would you EVER be looking at it from the side LOL

Who care about viewing angles on a straight on curved panel.........
Exactly. This isn't a TV in your living room.
Nov 17, 2019
204 posts
334 upvotes
I've decided I won't be buying a new monitor until OLED is done right or at the very least good HDR monitors with plenty of zones. In the meantime I'm fine with 1080p
Jul 3, 2017
334 posts
468 upvotes
Coquitlam
fpenguin wrote: currently with 3440x1440, and I would love to see more of these wide monitor options with more vertical resolutions.

This is the one I'm waiting for the price to come down. 5120x2160
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Prestige-PS341WU
Except you lose out on the refresh rate. 60Hz. It's good for productivity, less so for gaming.